Bow down to Price

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Vanek's part of the problem. They need Vanek back... Vanek loafed around but put the puck in the net. It really pumped that lines number up... Vanek basically saved DD's season statswise. He was on his way to a 47 point season, the exact point per game ratio he had in the lockout shortened season the season before....

Vanek was moved to play with DD and MaxPac, DD produced almost at 1 PPG during those last 15 games... Now he's at 0.5 PPG barely less that the 0.59 PPG he's had the last 2 season without Vanek... What you see is what you get with that line...

+++Adding the stats for Pacioretty with Vanek... He was over 1PPG. And scored 9 goals in those 15 games....

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Patches has always been inconsistent. In a few games he'll start scoring and pot 7 in 5 games, and everyone will go wild. He's always been like that.

I don't think we played well, but we weren't as bad as some people say.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
meaning... :dunno:

Meaning they act surprised that he floats around trying to open up instead of banging and crashing. It's what he always did.
When he first broke out, he played with Gomez-Gio. In terms of style:
Gomez=DD
Gionta=Gallagher
Max played the same way with them than he's doing with his current linemates.
It was also the same thing with Cole. EC was the one crashing and banging. Max always stayed up more.
The only time Max will rush the next is when he has control of the puck and feels he can outskate the defender.

So I don't understand why people are calling him this lazy floater now. It's always been his style to stay up more and use his shot. He's not lazy at all.
But right now he cannot carry his linemates and Gallagher is barely being used for his offensive tools. Gallagher has a pretty good shot and can get open as well, but it's clear that he's been given directives to just rush the net and battle on the boards. He was not doing it to the same extent when on the EGG line.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Meaning they act surprised that he floats around trying to open up instead of banging and crashing. It's what he always did.
Gomez=DD
Gionta=Gallagher
It was also the same thing with Cole. EC was the one crashing and banging. Max always stayed up more.
The only time Max will rush the next is when he has control of the puck and feels he can outskate the defender.

So I don't understand why people are calling him this lazy floater now. It's always been his style to stay up more and use his shot. He's not lazy at all.
But right now he cannot carry his linemates and Gallagher is barely being used for his offensive tools. Gallagher has a pretty good shot and can get open as well, but it's clear that he's been given directives to just rush the net and battle on the boards. He was not doing it to the same extent when on the EGG line.

Not only this... but the guy kills penalties at an elite level (and is dangerous for shorties). I think this new era of habs fans just aren't used to a sniper...They are ALWAYS inconsistent. When Corey Perry scored 50 goals, he started the season off so slow and just tore it up for 2 months. Rick Nash disappeared for two whole seasons and now look at him!

Marian Gaborik, Phil Kessel, Jeff Carter, Tomas Vanek, Pominville... Hell even Ovechkin has had down scoring seasons! Most scorers are streaky... yet we rag on one of the better ones who has size, speed, reach, and a good stick on the PK. ALL THIS FOR 4.5 MILLION!!

Relax guys and enjoy one of the best offensive LWers in the game for heaven's sake

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gomez=DD
Gionta=Gallagher

Pretty easy...because he's not on one of his ridiculous goal scoring streaks where it seems like he scores one every game

It's just the 'low-hanging' fruit to blame it on him being a floater

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think people are criticizing Pacioretty for his production, but his overall implication in different aspects of the game. People who understand the game just don't like players who float and look non-chalant even if they score 30 goals consistently.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Only 7 players today at the optional skate:

Eller, Bourque, Bournival, Sekac, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Tokarski.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think people are criticizing Pacioretty for his production, but his overall implication in different aspects of the game. People who understand the game just don't like players who float and look non-chalant even if they score 30 goals consistently.

Funny those criticisms of his game doesn't seem as common when he's scoring goals

Pacioretty always plays a 'non-chalant' looking way, he's not the type of player who gets involved in every physical confrontation or who is constantly pumping his skates like Gallagher does (which most people equate with working harder than others).

I think the people who criticize Pacioretty for floating just don't understand or accept the type of player he is, because he's never going to be, what you want him to be.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Funny those criticisms of his game doesn't seem as common when he's scoring goals

Pacioretty always plays a 'non-chalant' looking way, he's not the type of player who gets involved in every physical confrontation or who is constantly pumping his skates like Gallagher does (which most people equate with working harder than others).

I think the people who criticize Pacioretty for floating just don't understand or accept the type of player he is, because he's never going to be, what you want him to be.

No ****.

When he's scoring he's fine, when he's not scoring he's useless.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No ****.

When he's scoring he's fine, when he's not scoring he's useless.

Ok...that's fine, but my point is when he's not scoring, it's not necessarily because he's playing any differently than when he is scoring.

If Pacioretty played the way many of you wanted him to play, he likely wouldn't be able to score as many goals as he does.

I know people see a guy who's 6'2 and 220lbs and you want him to play like Cam Neely, but that's not how he plays.

I can just picture whenever McCarron makes the Habs...the type of expectations he's going to have on him because of his size.:shakehead

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If people wanna see what "useless when not scoring" really looks like, go watch some Kerby Rychel. He literally gives up on a play when he doesn't score on a shot that was giftwrapped for him. The most he'll do to "engage on defence" is sometimes check a guy close to the puck. He's the absolute definition of a one dimensional player.

Pacioretty doesn't come near that sort of level.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Not really, I think were all aware of what type of player Pacioretty is. He just hasn't been moving his feet enough and looks to make the dandy play way too much instead of relying on his speed and his ability to win foot races for the puck. In fact, that line, specially both Desharnais and Pacioretty are playing the same style they adopted with Vanek, which is based on east/west play and slowing down the pace and that leads to a bunch of turnovers.

It's not happening right now, just like it wasn't happening at the beginning of last year. Has nothing to do with his style of play.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Not really, I think were all aware of what type of player Pacioretty is. He just hasn't been moving his feet enough and looks to make the dandy play way too much instead of relying on his speed and his ability to win foot races for the puck. In fact, that line, specially both Desharnais and Pacioretty are playing the same style they adopted with Vanek, which is based on east/west play and slowing down the pace and that leads to a bunch of turnovers.

It's not happening right now, just like it wasn't happening at the beginning of last year. Has nothing to do with his style of play.

I don't think he is playing that much differrently, but I definitely think he's missing more chances in areas that he would typically score in.

I'm not worried about him. Goal scorers are streaky. What else is new.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

People who understand the game eh? Well then... I can't imagine anyone would want Pacioretty on their team because if he's not scoring, or killing penalties, he's useless. You know what? When Malhotra isn't winning faceoffs or taking defensive responsibilities away from pleks... he's useless. When Subban isn't scoring points, he's giving away the puck and is useless... You see where I'm going with this?

There is always one thing pacioretty is always doing when he's on the ice... and that's taking on the best defensemen on each team every night.

I think I understand the game just fine, and do love having patches on this team.

2 things wrong with this.
1) its optional
2) 7 guys showed up, after that embarassment.

Optional practices aren't really optional... they are there for the players that need to learn something before the next game and the spares. If you didn't realize, this team just played 3 games in 5 days on top of traveling across the country... I'd say it's quite normal for the team to have a rest

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If people wanna see what "useless when not scoring" really looks like, go watch some Kerby Rychel. He literally gives up on a play when he doesn't score on a shot that was giftwrapped for him. The most he'll do to "engage on defence" is sometimes check a guy close to the puck. He's the absolute definition of a one dimensional player.

Pacioretty doesn't come near that sort of level.

He was pretty damn good in Guelph last year and was a leader on the team. He also worked hard in all zones so I'm not sure why he wouldn't be doing the same in CBJ (if what you say is true).

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Hey when was the last time Desharnais has been to an optional practice? What is he always doing during optionals because I'm not sure he's ever been to one!

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think he is playing that much differrently, but I definitely think he's missing more chances in areas that he would typically score in.

I'm not worried about him. Goal scorers are streaky. What else is new.

I'd like to see what chances you're talking about because that line isn't generating much at all. And that's the problem, not the lack of goals.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
People who understand the game eh? Well then... I can't imagine anyone would want Pacioretty on their team because if he's not scoring, or killing penalties, he's useless. You know what? When Malhotra isn't winning faceoffs or taking defensive responsibilities away from pleks... he's useless. When Subban isn't scoring points, he's giving away the puck and is useless... You see where I'm going with this?

There is always one thing pacioretty is always doing when he's on the ice... and that's taking on the best defensemen on each team every night.

I think I understand the game just fine, and do love having patches on this team.

Optional practices aren't really optional... they are there for the players that need to learn something before the next game and the spares. If you didn't realize, this team just played 3 games in 5 days on top of traveling across the country... I'd say it's quite normal for the team to have a rest

Umm no. Optional means optional. If you want to go, you can.
If you believe what you wrote than Michel Therrien is in fact a horrible coach because everyone not named Price has a few things to "learn."

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Those are.7 guys that can.be traded or sent to hamilton anytime that practice could be logical

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00