Bourque had his dream, Lundqvist didn't

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's a 32 team league now. Players as good as Lundqvist and better going without a cup is pretty normal. Not worth getting bent out of shape about.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He should have requested a trade as soon as Rangers management released the letter saying they were going to sell pieces and start a rebuild. As a Rangers fan I would have loved a couple of seasons of watching him chase a cup on a good team.

He didn’t even have to request a trade.

Gordon spoke to him and explained to him the direction this team was going in and asked him what he’d like to do. Lundqvist wanted to stay.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Lots of uneccesary bitching and stupid remarks to start the thread, HF in it's finest form.

--

King Henrik was a beast and really deserved a last glorious chance for the cup. You can't hate a goalie that good with a really original style. It seemed like he lived on that goal line in his early seasons.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
First off lundqvist could have played better in the finals against the kings and he could have won a stanley cup

While AV isn't the best or worst coach in the league he certainly cost the rangers the most during the cup run in 14. Making the team focus on short shifts and trying to play too passive once the rangers had the lead in the 2 period.

Rangers under AV were a trade chances and outskate other teams and beat them with goal tending. Trying to trap the other team started in the series against Montreal and cost them against the kings. This issue will always piss me off

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
He didn’t even have to request a trade.

Gordon spoke to him and explained to him the direction this team was going in and asked him what he’d like to do. Lundqvist wanted to stay.
Then they unceremoniously pushed him out after the 2020 Playoffs because they didn't want to lose Georgiev and Shesterkin was ready to start.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
1) I think first ballot, but who knows really?
2) Somewhere between 7-10th IMO.
3) "Other of your own thinking." This is incomprehensible. Swenglish? Is it supposed to be an open question, like "What comes to mind when you think about Hank?"
4) No, the responsibility to build a team is on the GM

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Bourque joined a team that was absolutely stacked already and was favored to win the cup with or without him. Nice story at the time but not really impressive like if he won with Boston. Bourque had every right to go but I have just as much respect for Hank for sticking with his team all the way through until they pushed him out.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Marcel Dionne, Adam Oates, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Rod Gilbert, Ed Giacomin, Brian Propp, Mark Howe, Daniel Alfredsson, Eric Lindros never won the Cup either.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Lundqvist was the franchise player in the longest run of success in Rangers history, they just didn't win the cup. For about ten years they were a team that won multiple playoff rounds. You can debate the reason, but the end is that they didn't get it done. I hope they bring him in working in some capacity that gets your name on the cup and they make it happen. Not the same, but as a fan, I would like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad