Recalled/Assigned: Bourque clears waivers. Sent down to Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Saw him play in Hamilton this afternoon. Got a goal and an assist. He played quite well, skated hard. Didn't seem uninterested..

I doubt they sent him down without a chat. That conversation probably suggested he needs to get back to basics, use his size and play with more jam. If he's doing it now, good.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Not sure if this was asked already:

What happens to our cap if he goes on LTIR down in Hamilton?

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Wonder which middling team who looks like they will make the playoffs will trade for him at the deadline.. Wonder what he'd bring at that point though?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
So glad he's off this team and we look better in general without him

never bring him back, ever.

Call him up for the playoffs! :sarcasm:

But, joking aside if he really lights it up, I could see them bringing him back on a very short leash. Especially if one of our wingers gets injured.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Call him up for the playoffs! :sarcasm:

But, joking aside if he really lights it up, I could see them bringing him back on a very short leash. Especially if one of our wingers gets injured.

I believe he will struggle mightily in the AHL to put up any points as he's already a pretty bad player surrounded by NHL talent, one can imagine how he will look with AHL talent

i do believe we will never see him again, and im glad

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Wonder which middling team who looks like they will make the playoffs will trade for him at the deadline.. Wonder what he'd bring at that point though?

I'm sure there will be many other options which teams will consider before even thinking of Bourque's availability.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nobody. He will be bought out this summer.

Probably where it's headed. If there were ever a Canadian version of the stereotype A. Kostitsyn represented, Bourque is it. Minus the vodka part.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Saw him play in Hamilton this afternoon. Got a goal and an assist. He played quite well, skated hard. Didn't seem uninterested..

Great news. I hope they at least bring him back after a few more AHL games as the 13th forward? Imo, we have better top9 depth with Bourque...I'm hoping he will be a hungry player...sooner than later. Some of you will be thankful no one took Bourque when he was waived... 'cause an 82 game season is long...and sometimes injuries happen and depth is very important.

Concussion, depression, laziness (not motivated), able to get his A game for playoffs only (I'll take it!). Whatever the reason...we really need him for our 2015 playoff seasons AND 2016 playoff seasons (contract expires after the 2016 season...and 3.3 is not that bad, especially for a playoff power forward star). Our HABS are a better team with Playoffs-power-forward-star-Bourque. That's the bottom line, imo.

There's no guarantee he'll perform well in the playoffs again, but he was our best forward against the Sens and the Bolts, I'm not just talking about goals here, but also scoring chances.

Yup. He definitely was one of our best forwards...2013 playoff season (albeit short one, not Bourque's fault) and 2014 playoff season. (also VS Rangers). We don't have many Power Forwards. Give Bourque a chance... our Habs will be rewarded.
David Desharnais was given many chances...it's Bourque's turn to get his chances (only fair, tabarnouche!).
So much hatred for our only playoff skilled power forward star.:shakehead:cry:

I don't see why we would not call him up to play on the 4th/13th forward. You think Bowman is a better option?
We had our best game last night with 7 defensemen, but I surely pray to god that it's not going to be the trend to play 7Ds.

I agree with you. I'm not even against Bourque in Hamilton for a few or more than a few games...I just didn't like the waiver risk.
I'm not against a wake-up call...I just hope Bergevin/Therrien and Hab fans can be patient...'cause Bourque really improves our top 9 with grit/heart/size/skill/his shot/passing/vision...in playoffs.

Wow the hate for Rene is deep on this board did he just play bad or f@@K your wife or girlfriend? lol:deadhorse

It is crazy...I understand that some Hab fans don't want lazy players, but Bourque is a playoff power forward star for us...there should be some leeway. Hab fans booed Price in the past...booed Roy out of town (with Mario Tremblay)...gotta show some loyalty/patience, especially for playoff stars (or else we will never win CUP #25). Hamilton should be a wake-up call for Bourque and I'm sure he will deliver again...if not (bench him sometimes or use him as 13th forward), and just wait for playoffs...he will deliver.

You can keep typing this, and I'll keep telling you: NOPE.

Type ''Bourque is a Playoff Power Forward Star''...?!

I have to!! I'm stubborn when it comes to giving Bourque some chances since I really do believe he will be a playoff star, again, for us in 2015 and also for 2016. He can do it...he did it before...he'll do it again, imo. It would be silly to throw that away (a playoff skilled power forward star...we don't have any...why throw away the only one we have??. Pacioretty (sniper, not a power forward?) and Weise (blue collar 3rd-4th liner who has some or a lot of underrated top 6-9 power forward potential...imo)...that's not enough...we need a natural/pure top 6-9 power forward...Bourque is there. Bourque will deliver again in playoffs. We have him for 2015 and 2016 playoffs and that makes me happy.

And, remember...UFA status is not far away for Bourque...he's amazing when he's about to be UFA. We have to take advantage of that for our top 9, especially for playoffs when he is HOT.

Probably where it's headed (buyout). If there were ever a Canadian version of the stereotype A. Kostitsyn represented, Bourque is it. Minus the vodka part.

I really really really hope not...we're not doing ourselves a favor by getting rid of our only playoff power forward star...we're really messing with our tpo 9 playoffs depth. Do any of you want a CUP? Or what?!!

Bourque = playoff power forward star (plays like a 5-6mil power forward in playoffs).

A.Kostitsyn = regular season + playoff floater...was such an overpaid ***.
(he never ever helped us in playoffs like Bourque has...not even close).

So many Hab fans forget...UFA season is not far away for Bourque.He will deliver again in playoffs for our Habs...Bourque is amazing when UFA is approaching. We'd be stupid to throw him away. I really hope Bergevin realizes that Bourque can still give us a lot in playoffs for the 2015 AND 2016 playoff seasons. We need Bourque. We do.

Go Bourque Go!! (make a comeback...especially during 2015 and 2016 playoffs!;)...you're too good not to).

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really really really hope not...we're not doing ourselves a favor by getting rid of our only playoff power forward star...we're really messing with our tpo 9 playoffs depth. Do any of you want a CUP? Or what?!!

Who doesn't want a Cup? However, there are many ways to get there. Bourque had one great playoff run last year, the only time he's played in an extended manner in the post-season. Can he do it again, who knows.

There is no track record of Bourque doing anything similar in the regular season. He even fooled some fans into thinking that his playoff performance from last year could carry over.

This is a guy who sat on is long-term deal from Day One. He's been called out by many of the game's pundits, he inexplicably disappears and the passion meter is just not aligned with situations that would make other players react. Aside from Kelly Hrudey's tirade and the many articles by Calgary reporter Randy Sportek (sp?) documenting how Bourque would require constant prodding by a head coach, so much so that it had become draining and a pursuit whose outcome was mostly disappointing. Bourque's change of scenery has not impacted upon who he is or how he operates -- he's managed to test Therrien's mettle, despite a multitude of quality opportunities for him to make a difference.

Bourque has become so predictable that opposing coaches direct their players to not taunt him, nor hit him -- they know that if prodded, Bourque may react. The most incredible stat for Bourque are his hits -- so many games, he records little to no stats -- he becomes completely invisible, might as well be recruited as a NATO stealth operative -- except, they might lose out on the intelligence front.

Bourque = playoff power forward star (plays like a 5-6mil power forward in playoffs).

Playoff Bourque might must be an anomaly. He had the one good run last year. There is no track record that shows he might do it again, especially as he is nearing his mid-thirties.

A.Kostitsyn = regular season + playoff floater...was such an overpaid ***. (he never ever helped us in playoffs like Bourque has...not even close).

Overpaid is also relative to performance. Bourque's lack of production over extended periods make any salary payable to him, not concomitant with a fair return.

So many Hab fans forget...UFA season is not far away for Bourque.He will deliver again in playoffs for our Habs...Bourque is amazing when UFA is approaching. We'd be stupid to throw him away. I really hope Bergevin realizes that Bourque can still give us a lot in playoffs for the 2015 AND 2016 playoff seasons. We need Bourque. We do.

Despite the rah-rah tone of your comment, fact remains that 29 other teams were not fooled by Bourque's post-season performance last year. Furthermore, no one took a chance on Bourque, despite several teams experiencing injuries and Bourque's favorable cap hit relative to his actual salary. The only reason we have continued to carry him is that we're stuck with him. Carrying a player all year, an invisible one at that, is a luxury no team can afford.

Since he is out of mind in the minors, nothing precludes a late-season call-up if he warrants it somehow. However, he has been surpassed on the depth chart by the likes of Sekac. And I suspect some or at least one of the prospects in the AHL will be deemed ready at some point in the second half of the season -- making Bourque even more of an afterthought. Bourque has had more than his share of opportunities with several teams and at this point in his career, he's looking more like a buyout candidate than a guy who deserves yet another lease on his career.

Plus, look at the opportunity cost of carrying a Bourque. If you don't roster Bourque, you may be able to count on a better player in his stead. The money wasted on the corpse that Bourque is, can be spent elsewhere. Unfortunately, no one will do Bergevin a favor and take him off our hands.

The Habs will have cap room at the trading deadline -- they can fill any need with a better roster player than Bourque.

Go Bourque Go!! (make a comeback...especially during 2015 and 2016 playoffs!;)...you're too good not to).

Go Bourque. Please, go. Go and never come back. You're the next candidate to get inducted in the Enigmatic Habs Floater Hall of Fame, which includes the likes of A. Kostitsyn, Kovalev and Malakhov. Bourque, make Canada proud and pretend you're from some other country when you get inducted.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Someone will trade a late pick for him if he works hard for an extended period of time in the AHL. There will be someone who will think this demotion will make him a new man and they will benefit from it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Someone will trade a late pick for him if he works hard for an extended period of time in the AHL. There will be someone who will think this demotion will make him a new man and they will benefit from it.

I doubt that. He'd have to put insane numbers to justify moving an asset for him when you could have had him for free.

Just think about it. How would you feel if Bergevin gave a pick or prospect for a guy playing in the AHL and that went through waivers a few months ago?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I doubt that. He'd have to put insane numbers to justify moving an asset for him when you could have had him for free.

Just think about it. How would you feel if Bergevin gave a pick or prospect for a guy playing in the AHL and that went through waivers a few months ago?

It happens. When he goes through waivers it means that they have more flexibility with him.

Don't underestimate GM's who think they have the room that will turn around a career. They all have ego's and taking risks is the mandate of the job.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bourque wasn't a Bergevin acquisition and is in fact the antithesis of what he looks for in players he targets.

As far as flexibility, Bourque in the minors saves a little dough but reality is, even on a new call-up, there is more likelihood to see the player Bourque has been over his career than last year's playoff performer. With the type of talent and depth Bergevin has mined since his nomination, there is a lot less reason to rush Bourque back or to be patient with him.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Who doesn't want a Cup? However, there are many ways to get there. Bourque had one great playoff run last year, the only time he's played in an extended manner in the post-season. Can he do it again, who knows.

There is no track record of Bourque doing anything similar in the regular season. He even fooled some fans into thinking that his playoff performance from last year could carry over.

This is a guy who sat on is long-term deal from Day One. He's been called out by many of the game's pundits, he inexplicably disappears and the passion meter is just not aligned with situations that would make other players react. Aside from Kelly Hrudey's tirade and the many articles by Calgary reporter Randy Sportek (sp?) documenting how Bourque would require constant prodding by a head coach, so much so that it had become draining and a pursuit whose outcome was mostly disappointing. Bourque's change of scenery has not impacted upon who he is or how he operates -- he's managed to test Therrien's mettle, despite a multitude of quality opportunities for him to make a difference.

Bourque has become so predictable that opposing coaches direct their players to not taunt him, nor hit him -- they know that if prodded, Bourque may react. The most incredible stat for Bourque are his hits -- so many games, he records little to no stats -- he becomes completely invisible, might as well be recruited as a NATO stealth operative -- except, they might lose out on the intelligence front.
Playoff Bourque might must be an anomaly. He had the one good run last year. There is no track record that shows he might do it again, especially as he is nearing his mid-thirties.

Overpaid is also relative to performance. Bourque's lack of production over extended periods make any salary payable to him, not concomitant with a fair return.

Despite the rah-rah tone of your comment, fact remains that 29 other teams were not fooled by Bourque's post-season performance last year. Furthermore, no one took a chance on Bourque, despite several teams experiencing injuries and Bourque's favorable cap hit relative to his actual salary. The only reason we have continued to carry him is that we're stuck with him. Carrying a player all year, an invisible one at that, is a luxury no team can afford.

Since he is out of mind in the minors, nothing precludes a late-season call-up if he warrants it somehow. However, he has been surpassed on the depth chart by the likes of Sekac. And I suspect some or at least one of the prospects in the AHL will be deemed ready at some point in the second half of the season -- making Bourque even more of an afterthought. Bourque has had more than his share of opportunities with several teams and at this point in his career, he's looking more like a buyout candidate than a guy who deserves yet another lease on his career.

Plus, look at the opportunity cost of carrying a Bourque. If you don't roster Bourque, you may be able to count on a better player in his stead. The money wasted on the corpse that Bourque is, can be spent elsewhere. Unfortunately, no one will do Bergevin a favor and take him off our hands.

The Habs will have cap room at the trading deadline -- they can fill any need with a better roster player than Bourque.

Go Bourque. Please, go. Go and never come back. You're the next candidate to get inducted in the Enigmatic Habs Floater Hall of Fame, which includes the likes of A. Kostitsyn, Kovalev and Malakhov. Bourque, make Canada proud and pretend you're from some other country when you get inducted.

Bourque is 2 for 2 with us (playoff seasons).

<2013 playoff season:
Bourque was a VERY gritty, mean power forward warrior for us VS Ottawa. He delivered...BIG TIME (Plekanec was also very solid for us).Yes, it was a short series but this wasn't Bourque's fault. He played really well VS the Sens (2013 playoffs).

<2014 playoff season:
Bourque scored 8 goals and may have reached 10 or more if we reached the Cup Finals (******* Kreider!). He was definitely a power forward warrior/star for us. He delivered the goods.

LOSE-LOSE VS WIN-WIN...take your pick!:
it's a lose-lose situation right now for us. Why not try and make it a win-win? Bourque's value is at ZERO right now. But his UFA status is in 2016 (not far away). He will be a power forward star again for us. If not (worst case scneario)...find a way to boost his value again and we will at least get something instead of losing him for nothing (ex: Moen for Gonchar...risky but Gonchar is UFA this summer, Moen makes 1.8mil next season). I don't want Bourque scoring 8-10 goals for another team in playoffs...I want Bourque scoring those 8-10 goals for our Habs.

Soon-to-be-UFA Bourque will deliver again...I just hope it's with us. Give him a chance. I'm sure he's going through a major wake-up call right now. And if he needs to rest (post-concussion symptoms?? depression??)...I'm all for it. Just give him a chance. Desharnais got many chances...Bpourque deserves some chances, as well.
We're a better team with a HOT-Bourque...just find a way to get HOT-Bourque back. That should be our main concern.

29 other teams:
yes no team took him (waivers)...I was very surprised (but so relieved *phew!*) since he scored 8 goals recently in playoffs for us (and will do it again). In the end...I care about solving this Bourque ''situation'' to make it WIN-WIN for us (Habs/Hab fans and Bourque end up happy). Bourque can score 8 goals+ again for us...too bad for the other teams who passed up on him.
Work with Bourque and Bourque will work with us. Don't throw everyone away like garbage and we will be rewarded...especially in playoffs.

I'm exaggerating a bit (just to prove a point):
You'd need an Evander Kane (playoff warrior?? maybe? maybe not?), C.Stewart (playoff warrior? maybe? maybe not?), or even a Wayne Simmonds (always a warrior, hence why he's not cheap!) in playoffs to replace playoffs-Bourque.
Good luck getting those players for nothing. We already have Bourque (for nothing)...don't throw him away. Don't let another team pick him up in March. 1-2 serious injuries to our top 9 and some of you will beg for a Bourque-comeback. I don't want to trade away prospects/picks to try and find another playoffs-Bourque...I want to find a way to wake Bourque up while he's still a Hab.

Moen:
many (not all of you) of you would have thrown him away for nothing. He was a warrior for us. At least we got Gonchar for Moen. Glad the Habs didn't put moen on waivers. I just hope our PK can find a way to be strong without Moen. I do feel better about our PP with Gonchar there. Looks very very smooth out there on the PP. Very surprised he still can bring it! (was thinking Therrien would keep him at 12-15min/game and just there mostly for PP,etc.... good surprise).

P.S.: it's funny...a lot of you write that Bourque may never deliver again in playoffs...it's as if some of you don't want to see him deliver again in playoffs. You'd rather be right than see Bourque deliver again in playoffs for us (or you don't want to be wrong??!).
I really don't get this. This is why I ask some of you...don't you want the Habs to win CUP #25? If yes...you have to dress the players that give the best chances for the team to go as far as possible. Bourque in our top 9 in playoffs VS no good replacement...our Habs are better with Bourque in playoffs.

He could be a free, awesome deadline addition. No doubt about it.

Yup. And he could be awesome for us again. Why would we want to see Bourque do well with another team when he could deliver again for us. This Hamilton wake-up call could be the answer...and if it doesn't work rotate Bourque between 13th forward and 3rd liner...until it works or until playoffs. Just find a way to make it work 'cause we will I guarantee you need Bourque for playoffs. Some of you act like injuries don't exist to our top 9 (regular season + playoffs)...it can happen any game/playoff series...another GREAT reason to keep playoffs-Bourque.

I personally would be very surprised if we don't see Bourque back here this year.
How will he perform is unknown. Right now he's doing pretty well in AHL. He's got 3pts in 3gp, from what I've read he's skating hard. It's just 3 games and doesn't mean much, but it's better than him scoring 0 pts and looking disinterested.

Thank-you! Great news.

So refreshing to read this after so much hating in this thread.
Some Hab fans would prefer HATING, HATING and DESPISING vs trying to find a way to get a player going again. No one in our organization can replace playoffs-Bourque (8 goals in '14 playoffs). Would be crazy to throw Bourque away for nothing.

Yes, it's frustrating that Bourque seems to get HOT especially in playoffs and not the regular season. But at least Bourque gets HOT when it really counts (playoffs)...that's why I vehemently defend Bourque (look at lazy-playoff-Vanek...was the biggest floater in playoffs for us...was so pissed off watching him literally/physically figure skate out there while Bourque was again a playoff warrior for us).

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bourque wasn't a Bergevin acquisition and is in fact the antithesis of what he looks for in players he targets.

As far as flexibility, Bourque in the minors saves a little dough but reality is, even on a new call-up, there is more likelihood to see the player Bourque has been over his career than last year's playoff performer. With the type of talent and depth Bergevin has mined since his nomination, there is a lot less reason to rush Bourque back or to be patient with him.
I personally would be very surprised if we don't see Bourque back here this year.
How will he perform is unknown. Right now he's doing pretty well in AHL. He's got 3pts in 3gp, from what I've read he's skating hard. It's just 3 games and doesn't mean much, but it's better than him scoring 0 pts and looking disinterested.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Maybe it's just me, but I think when you make the call to send an established NHLer who's supposed to be a big contributor down to the minors, it's not only to shed the deadweight, but it's a statement. Bourque wasn't sent down so he can get called up five games later. Bergevin effectively made it clear that "this team is better with out you [Bourque]" and even if he scores at a PPG rate in the AHL there's no guarantee he'll produce for us.

I also don't see him coming back during the playoffs. He's had like one good playoff run, plus the postseason is built for winners and contributors, two things Bourque has displayed he's not. For me, his most likely career path is getting bought out, and getting a PTO from a team like Arizona or Florida or someone who just wants a warm body that can sorta compete. Hell, I could see him fitting in nice on Buffalo.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

But it's the same movie over and over. It was never bad enough for him to be sent down to the AHL before this and that's hard to recover from. Certainly more then a weeks worth of effort is needed to undo the damage done.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Lets wait and see. Lots of guys have spent time in the minors. Some have come back others haven't.
Fact of the matter is that none of us know what happened with Bourque and none of us know how Bergevin will use this asset. When he uses his size and speed he is exactly what every team needs. Question is can he learn to do that every night?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

Thank-you! Great news.

So refreshing to read this after so much hating in this thread.
Some Hab fans would prefer HATING, HATING and DESPISING vs trying to find a way to get a player going again. No one in our organization can replace playoffs-Bourque (8 goals in '14 playoffs). Would be crazy to throw Bourque away for nothing.

Yes, it's frustrating that Bourque seems to get HOT especially in playoffs and not the regular season. But at least Bourque gets HOT when it really counts (playoffs)...that's why I vehemently defend Bourque (look at lazy-playoff-Vanek...was the biggest floater in playoffs for us...was so pissed off watching him literally/physically figure skate out there while Bourque was again a playoff warrior for us).

Go Bourque Go!! (I want to see Bourque score 8 goals+ for us again in playoffs).

Lets wait and see. Lots of guys have spent time in the minors. Some have come back others haven't.
Fact of the matter is that none of us know what happened with Bourque and none of us know how Bergevin will use this asset. When Bourque uses his size and speed he is exactly what every team needs. Question is can he learn to do that every night?

Definitely. This will sound strange...if they can't get Bourque going in regular season (worst case scenario), then give him one last chance for playoffs. We don't know why, but Bourque turns into a playoff warrior when it counts. Gotta take advantage of that for our Habs. 2016 playoffs...I'd be willing to bet bourque will be HOT HOT HOT...many of you say he's HOT when it's his UFA year. Let's take advantage of this. And even if it's not his UFA year (ex: 2013 and 2014 playoffs)...Bourque can bring his ''A'' game during playoffs. Bourque can surely help us win a series with important goals...you don't throw that away. Wouldn't make sense.

2015 + 2016 playoffs (UFA season):
I want Bourque in our top 9.
We're better with him. No doubt about it.

But it's the same movie over and over. It was never bad enough for him to be sent down to the AHL before this and that's hard to recover from. Certainly more then a weeks worth of effort is needed to undo the damage done.

Fair enough...I'm not against AHL time (good wake-up call)...I just didn't like the thought of another team taking Bourque for nothing (waivers...so happy no team took him...Bourque will show these 29 teams they made a mistake...you will see. And this will be AMAZING for our Habs, especially for playoffs. Bourque scored 8 goals recently in playoffs for us (that shouldn't be ignored)...I don't want to lose him for nothing. I'd rather give him another GO for our 2015 and 2016 playoffs (2016 is UFA year for Bourque...he will get HOT again, I'm pretty sure...gotta keep him, gotta have faith...Habs will be rewarded).

AHL (Bourque?):
my memory is fading away...need help! Bourque was already sent down to the AHL? With our Habs? or with Calgary? I forget...

INJURIES:
some of you still forget that injuries can/do happen...very long 82 game season.
1-2-3 serious injuries to our top 9 and some of you will be crying for a Bourque-comeback. Especially if these injuries happen in the playoffs. Our top 9 (ex: playoffs) is a lot sexier with Bourque in it. An injury to Prust...and there goes our only policeman...and we will also be losing a lot of grit/leadership (more pressure on Weise since Moen is not here anymore for PK/grit,etc). Gotta think ahead, not just about the NOW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad