Boudreau vs Yeo

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I wonder what Yeo thinks of the Wild right now. He'd have to realize BB is a brilliant coach and that's largely why the Wild are where they are right now. It's also interesting that the Blues are struggling a bit too. He's not the head coach yet but that's the fandom I truly feel sorry for. The Blues have Yeo as a full time coach next year. Wow. It's only going to get worse, Blues fans.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I wonder what Yeo thinks of the Wild right now. He'd have to realize BB is a brilliant coach and that's largely why the Wild are where they are right now. It's also interesting that the Blues are struggling a bit too. He's not the head coach yet but that's the fandom I truly feel sorry for. The Blues have Yeo as a full time coach next year. Wow. It's only going to get worse, Blues fans.

The new Avs.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Yeo peaked the year we beat the Avs in the playoffs after that his system became less and less effective and the players tuned him out more and more every year after that. I can't remember a coach losing so much respect by the players then he did by the end of his tenure.

I like the way Boudreau builds confidence in the bottom six by putting them out in crucial situations. That bodes well when he roles 4 lines during the playoffs or in case of injuries.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeo peaked the year we beat the Avs in the playoffs after that his system became less and less effective and the players tuned him out more and more every year after that. I can't remember a coach losing so much respect by the players then he did by the end of his tenure.

I like the way Boudreau builds confidence in the bottom six by putting them out in crucial situations. That bodes well when he roles 4 lines during the playoffs or in case of injuries.

I would agree with you there. It seems to be a much more well rounded group. Although as of late, that defense creep is starting to get me a little concerned. His teams in the past have had it too. And Dubs changes out his pants I believe in 2 weeks too.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I would agree with you there. It seems to be a much more well rounded group. Although as of late, that defense creep is starting to get me a little concerned. His teams in the past have had it too. And Dubs changes out his pants I believe in 2 weeks too.

I'd hate for us to overpay at the TDL but if we can get a good deal on a better back-up than Kuemper or a solid depth D-man rather than calling up Reilly to cover for injuries, It might be tempting.

But honestly I don't think we are a true contender yet so I'd hate to giveaway assets for false hopes like we have in the past.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If we're not a true contender yet, we're not going to be for a long time. Koivu, Staal and Suter are big contributors still, but will be declining in production. I'm honestly a little surprised they're doing as well as they are offensively at this point (well, not surprised about Suter, but the other two). Add to that that the kids are all having breakout years, which means we're likely seeing right now their offensive peaks, in most cases. They may improve slightly after this season, but not by nearly as much as they just did. Dubnyk is also not exactly young anymore; at 30 years old, these next several years are his "win now" years. Worse yet, the expansion draft is going to tear away one of our young guys who actually are just hitting their prime, leaving us slightly older and less skilled, effective next season.

I don't know, I think when a team is leading its conference halfway through the season, it's time to start calling it a contender. I know I won't be expecting the Wild to be this good again for a while, at least not until some of our most promising prospects (Ek, Tuch, Kunin, Kaprizov) start to hit their primes about 4-5 years down the road. Like I said a few days ago in another post, we could really use a depth defenseman, but it'd be a shame to overpay for one. Still, might be worth it for the right one.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see the point in getting a depth Dman. If they are any good, they usually cost a lot. If not, why bother? It's cheaper to get a bottom six guy with excellent defensive skills on an expiring contract, and pretty well serves the same use. A ferocious checking type would be great, who pressures the other team. Not a thug, but a guy who isn't afraid of the corners.

Hopefully, somebody down in Iowa decides he wants to be a hero and contribute up here.

I thought Reilly showed some obvious talent last game. Yeah, he looked awkward a few times. Playing with new guys will do it to you, and that's what you get when you have a creative Dman, rather than a bang it off the boards type. The PMD skills are clearly there. Let's see if he can learn to tailor them for the NHL, and be decent without the puck also. If he can play the offside well it would be great.

Still would like to see what Olofsson brings to the table. Has 4 points in his last three games in Iowa, but that's kind of beside the point, for me. I'm hoping he will be able to play a sound defense in the NHL. Easier said than done.

Last edited:

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I'd hate to ruin the chemistry the team has built up over this season by adding some Bergenheimesque type player especially for a 2nd. Hopefully Boudreau won't need one and Fletcher learned his lesson.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how adding a Bergenheim type player would ruin chemistry. Especially if all that is traded is a draft pick. We are playing well, but the bottom six is far from perfect. Gabriel is tough ( though not a very good fighter, actually), but not a good player. Graovac has some tools, but hasn't produced any offense. Schroeder is a borderline NHL'er. Haula is a keeper. Parise is a mystery at this point. Obviously good enough for a bottom six, but just a bloody enigma. Poms...we all know the story.

Don't see how we don't have room for a player in the bottom six. While I know we have been frustrated with the loss of 2ND round draft picks over the years, this is the year where it looks like we will be warranted in giving up a 2nd, maybe even a first. Remember, a first or second is likely to be REALLY late first or second, i.e. Our second will be like a third. If, and I say, IF, we are still in first in the West come the TDL then we owe it to ourselves to load on talent NOW. You don't get many chances to make a legit Cup run, so when you do, you run with the best horses you can. We have some decent talent coming along in the next couple of years. We'll be fine losing a first this year.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
If we're not a true contender yet, we're not going to be for a long time. Koivu, Staal and Suter are big contributors still, but will be declining in production. I'm honestly a little surprised they're doing as well as they are offensively at this point (well, not surprised about Suter, but the other two). Add to that that the kids are all having breakout years, which means we're likely seeing right now their offensive peaks, in most cases. They may improve slightly after this season, but not by nearly as much as they just did. Dubnyk is also not exactly young anymore; at 30 years old, these next several years are his "win now" years. Worse yet, the expansion draft is going to tear away one of our young guys who actually are just hitting their prime, leaving us slightly older and less skilled, effective next season.

I don't know, I think when a team is leading its conference halfway through the season, it's time to start calling it a contender. I know I won't be expecting the Wild to be this good again for a while, at least not until some of our most promising prospects (Ek, Tuch, Kunin, Kaprizov) start to hit their primes about 4-5 years down the road. Like I said a few days ago in another post, we could really use a depth defenseman, but it'd be a shame to overpay for one. Still, might be worth it for the right one.

I should of said we have a good enough team to come out of the West, and IF we were to get to SC finals this team will have to be running on all cylinders to beat the Penguins and Caps of the east. Anything can happen but I'd rather not look hapless like the Sharks did in last years finals.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see the point in getting a depth Dman. If they are any good, they usually cost a lot. If not, why bother? It's cheaper to get a bottom six guy with excellent defensive skills on an expiring contract, and pretty well serves the same use. A ferocious checking type would be great, who pressures the other team. Not a thug, but a guy who isn't afraid of the corners.

Hopefully, somebody down in Iowa decides he wants to be a hero and contribute up here.

I thought Reilly showed some obvious talent last game. Yeah, he looked awkward a few times. Playing with new guys will do it to you, and that's what you get when you have a creative Dman, rather than a bang it off the boards type. The PMD skills are clearly there. Let's see if he can learn to tailor them for the NHL, and be decent without the puck also. If he can play the offside well it would be great.

Still would like to see what Olofsson brings to the table. Has 4 points in his last three games in Iowa, but that's kind of beside the point, for me. I'm hoping he will be able to play a sound defense in the NHL. Easier said than done.

I don't see how adding a Bergenheim type player would ruin chemistry. Especially if all that is traded is a draft pick. We are playing well, but the bottom six is far from perfect. Gabriel is tough ( though not a very good fighter, actually), but not a good player. Graovac has some tools, but hasn't produced any offense. Schroeder is a borderline NHL'er. Haula is a keeper. Parise is a mystery at this point. Obviously good enough for a bottom six, but just a bloody enigma. Poms...we all know the story.

Don't see how we don't have room for a player in the bottom six. While I know we have been frustrated with the loss of 2ND round draft picks over the years, this is the year where it looks like we will be warranted in giving up a 2nd, maybe even a first. Remember, a first or second is likely to be REALLY late first or second, i.e. Our second will be like a third. If, and I say, IF, we are still in first in the West come the TDL then we owe it to ourselves to load on talent NOW. You don't get many chances to make a legit Cup run, so when you do, you run with the best horses you can. We have some decent talent coming along in the next couple of years. We'll be fine losing a first this year.

I agree that we could use a bottom six guy, but not that getting one is basically the same as getting a bottom pairing defender. The difference is that they play a completely different position. Say we trade for a 4th line center. When someone like Brodin gets injured, you can't put that center on the blueline and call it good. The reason you'd trade for a defender is for situations like the one the Wild are in right now. I'm all for giving Reilly some time to see if he shines, but if he doesn't, that's when it's time to start thinking about a trade. As I said earlier, it'd be a shame to have to pay a lot for one, which is why I wouldn't advise doing it, yet, but at some point it may be necessary if we're serious about a cup this year.

I guess this is probably not the thread for this though, hey? How about that Brue Boudreau? Great coach so far! I'm enjoying not having the insane highs and lows that seemed to accompany Yeo's tenure.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Never think about the Ex. Appreciate what we have now. ;)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I how BB tends to have S&S out with the fourth line when they're on, making them less vulnerable. Yeo often used to put the bottom pairing on with the 4th- I have no idea whether it was planned, or it just happened to be their turn. Why stick all your worst players out in the ice at the same time?

Yet another one of those things BB does better than Yeo, IMO. His feel for mixing up lines is outstanding, too. Doesn't wait too long and let things fester, just changes things up. The only thing he hasn't done much of is bench players besides fourth liners( which is really just rotating players). I think moving players down to 3rd line( centered by Haula) is considered enough. The way his line has been producing, however, maybe that isn't much of a punishment? He doesn't score a lot of points, but he has talent offensively, and his speed and smarts allows him to cover a lot of ground offensively, freeing up his wingers to take more risks offensively.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeo got lucky. His defense-only brand of ******** hockey can only work when the goalie is playing out of his mind, as Allen was for most of this series. I'll still take Boudreau 100 times out of 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad