Boudreau vs Yeo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BB will go by his gut...players aren't in nearly as many fixed roles. he will use top line players in PK roles, and will deviate from the set PP lineup at will.

I liked Yeo. Thought he was good coach and a good guy, but also thought he was too rigid, and favored vets over younger players, even when they were underperforming. BB has more of a meritocracy. Players respect that. Parise knows he's playing like crap, and so does everyone else. No big deal, UNLESS he continues to get prime TOI game after game. Then you get other players wondering what the standard is, and motivation gets sapped.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The defensemen definitely pinch more. I noticed it earlier in the season, but not so much anymore. Maybe I'm just used to it now. Otherwise I've definitely noticed times where we absolutely would have dumped it last year, but we either passed backwards to keep possession or tried to carry across. Those are really the two that I've noticed.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
BB will go by his gut...players aren't in nearly as many fixed roles. he will use top line players in PK roles, and will deviate from the set PP lineup at will.

I liked Yeo. Thought he was good coach and a good guy, but also thought he was too rigid, and favored vets over younger players, even when they were underperforming. BB has more of a meritocracy. Players respect that. Parise knows he's playing like crap, and so does everyone else. No big deal, UNLESS he continues to get prime TOI game after game. Then you get other players wondering what the standard is, and motivation gets sapped.

This...

The defensemen definitely pinch more. I noticed it earlier in the season, but not so much anymore. Maybe I'm just used to it now. Otherwise I've definitely noticed times where we absolutely would have dumped it last year, but we either passed backwards to keep possession or tried to carry across. Those are really the two that I've noticed.

...and this. I've also noticed we try the long stretch pass down the middle way more often, and it has resulted in a good number of breakaways, though we haven't really been able to finish from those. Also I think Boudreau stresses hitting people more than Yeo did.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boudreau allows players to play to their strengths, he doesn't ask them to play in a way that doesn't suit their game.

He's not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole so to speak.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I was sure they would finally lose the defense first hockey and go with more "boudreau"-like offensive style. That sure as hell didn't happen...

In fact it looks that our most defensive guys (suter,mikko) are thriving now. IMO Torchetti had much bigger impact on the team than BB.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boudreau:
- the team is mentally stronger: they give up the first goal and the game isn't over.
- heavier forecheck: 2 players deep instead of one, more physical along the boards, F3 is deeper into the zone.
- d-men join the offense: they join the rush, pinch more and deeper, will at times cheat down to the halfwall on the backside and become a 4th FWD.
- Wild shoot the puck more.
- PK is the best players not the 4th line and pray.
- more even treatment of all the players, not much (besides Parise) of the Vets and Youth playing by different rules.
- wants a more physical game from everyone.
- quicker transition game: not as much wait behind the net with the puck and let things setup (it's still needed for linechanges), more breakout passes (up the wall and the middle of the ice).

Yoe:
- The shot suppression was better.
- Lots more cycling in the ozone, not as many low probability shots, the wings weren't as deep.
- The mindset was more defense first, don't take the chance of being creative and get caught out of position.
- More of a passive game. We'll defend you to death.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Really? I admit I haven't caught all too many Wild games live this year, but my understanding of Yeo's scheme and one of my favorite things about it was how aggressive the Wild's D were pinching in the offensive zone on wingers that at times would really cause teams to struggle cleanly break the puck out of the zone and allow the Wild to have a "swarming" effect in the zone on the forecheck when they wre playing well as a 5 man unit.

I was a big fan of the idea of defending and putting as much pressure as possible on opposing teams inside their defensive zone. That pressure would cause players to make mistakes and cough up pucks in the most dangerous area to make mistakes in -- your own zone.

Yeo didn't do some things well, but I thought that was one of the things he did really well. Probably more so than any other coach I've seen -- at least Wild coaches.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
PK seemed better under Yeo.

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Last year it was pretty terrible

Yoe's PK was a better system imo. He just used the bottom of the roster to try and kill everything: Haula, Carter, Stoll, Porter, and Fontaine the top 5 FWDs in ToI/game.

BB: Koivu, Granlund, Staal, Haula, Parise are used the most in PK situations.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yoe's PK was a better system imo. He just used the bottom of the roster to try and kill everything: Haula, Carter, Stoll, Porter, and Fontaine the top 5 FWDs in ToI/game.

BB: Koivu, Granlund, Staal, Haula, Parise are used the most in PK situations.

Which brings up another point... BB wants his most impactful players on the ice in the most impactful situations.

Yeo trusted systems over player abilities... (goes back to his Haula- Famer nickname he gave Haula because of what he perceived as a big ego from Haula, and lack of trust in Haula's game at the same time)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Compared to Bruce, Yeo seems way too inflexible. He played favorites, lacked the gall to stand up to the vets and had some very peculiar grudges that I felt hurt the team. Also, this is the guy that played both Coyle and Granlund at C as much and as long as possible. I don't think they're even in the same ballpark as coaches TBH. Yeo is a smart hockey guy, but doesn't command respect in the room like BB and is much more petty with personnel decisions. Boudreau seems very much a pragmatist.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
BB deserves some praise for lighting a flame under Dubnyk during training camp. I felt Yeo was to thankful to Dubs for saving his job and letting the soft goals he was giving up slide.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I really can't believe the number of "not much difference" posts. The Wild have more breakaway attempts through 27 games than they did through the last 2 years under Yeo. Compared to previous years this team does a fraction of their previous dump and chase zone entries. The amount defenders dive into plays and don't always park on the blue line in a drop first mentality is a huge departure from previous years. The number of in game adjustments and line changes he's made we would never see under Yeo.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Biggest systematic change i've noticed, is the wingers flying the zone as soon as we touch the puck, especially the far side winger.

BB is trusting his D to make that pass, and it's working. Under Yeo the wingers were much more reserved and expected to remain lower in the neutral zone for support, and to make the passes shorter.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Biggest systematic change i've noticed, is the wingers flying the zone as soon as we touch the puck, especially the far side winger.

BB is trusting his D to make that pass, and it's working. Under Yeo the wingers were much more reserved and expected to remain lower in the neutral zone for support, and to make the passes shorter.

Must be why Granlund and Coyle were switched to wing. Centers need to be much more responsible under Boudreau's system, with no wings there to support them.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

True, strong side winger is still playing somewhat close support but weak side winger is given the liberty to go for it.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
PK seemed better under Yeo.

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

I think it was actually Brodziak. Science is mysterious sometimes.

Wild have won some games when the score was tied after 60 minutes of hockey, whereas Yeo would have just looked at his playoff rulebook, said it's not right, and walked down to the locker room. His head would pop back up on the bench just once to shout "No one under 30 on the ice!" and then back to practicing composure in the mirror.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad