Confirmed with Link: Boucher fired, Cooper to TB, Zettler in SYR | Bowness & George Gwozdecky hired

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Guy Boucher relieved of coaching duties (press conference post #196)

Just a blurb from the team for now.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=661783

TAMPA BAY - The Tampa Bay Lightning have released Guy Boucher from his head coaching commitment, effective immediately, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced this morning. Yzerman also announced that Martin Raymond and Dan Lacroix will share coaching responsibilities for the game tonight against the Winnipeg Jets.

"Guy has poured his heart and soul into the Lightning organization for these past three years and we appreciate all the work he has done," said Yzerman upon making the announcement. "But ultimately I am not satisfied with the direction we are heading and I believe making a change today is in the best interest of our franchise."

Fire Boucher and keep Raymond and Lacroix to coach? Yeah, that's a brillant move.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Who else is going to coach? Every assistants contract ends this year so I doubt they come back but you need someone to coach tonight.

The janitorial staff? The ushers from the 300 level? A group of fans from HF boards?

Sorry, I know somebody has to coach, I was more than irritated when I posted that. But seriously, I'm not understanding how those two weren't axed before Boucher. Lacroix runs our "defense", correct? And what exactly is it that Raymond does?

DC & EE both speculating that Ruff is leading the list over Cooper.

http://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 6m
Figure top two early candidates for new coach is Lindy Ruff and Jon Cooper, with Ruff probably at the top of the list

http://twitter.com/LightningTimes

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes 9m
Speculation on new Lightning coach will include former Sabres coach Lindy Ruff; ties to Yzerman with Team Canada.

Also AHL Syracuse coach Jon Cooper. But would Yzerman go to another coach untested in NHL?

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
The janitorial staff? The ushers from the 300 level? A group of fans from HF boards?

Sorry, I know somebody has to coach, I was more than irritated when I posted that. But seriously, I'm not understanding how those two weren't axed before Boucher. Lacroix runs our "defense", correct? And what exactly is it that Raymond does?

Looks clueless behind the bench. Hopefully it's just because they couldn't get Cooper on a plane fast enough.

@erlendssonTBO: Figure top two early candidates for new coach is Lindy Ruff and Jon Cooper, with Ruff probably at the top of the list

Now I'm kind of nervous.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Wow. Wish the best to Guy. Great guy (haha?) but I was starting to doubt his abilities. Was always in the back of my mind I guess.

PS: Please not Ruff. Please not Ruff Stevie. Please.

Last edited:

CSampson

Apr 8, 2009
Despite all the poison directed at Boucher, he showed in his first season that he can do a good job. All the best, Guy.

OVs Gold Chain*

He would have been gone at the end of last season had not the lockout been looming. No D!

Coach with defensive system gets fired for no D? Lack of talent is the main issue here, IMO

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thank you sweet baby jesus for granting me such a good morning! :handclap: Now I will be in a state of anxiety until the new head coach is announced. I hope Cooper because we will lose him otherwise, but it would suck to pull him before Syracuse can take another run.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Thank you sweet baby jesus for granting me such a good morning! :handclap: Now I will be in a state of anxiety until the new head coach is announced. I hope Cooper because we will lose him otherwise, but it would suck to pull him before Syracuse can take another run.

Will probably be Ruff. We'll be begging for Boucher back before next season is half over.

HJimm

If you've watched a game, you'd know that the coaching is incompetent. There is no defensive system.

Matt... stopped watching last year when the would score 5 goals and lose or get blown out 7-0. They have the talent IMO. They need a system that plays to the players' strengths. Remember that stupid 1-3-1 they started the season with last year? How long did tht last. Love what the Flyers did with it. :)

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Yzermans ineptness at acquiring any decent long time goaltending and other significant pieces cost Guy Boucher his job. We love Steve Yzerman here in Detroit, but his firing of Guy Boucher is a way of covering up the real problems. He should be the one relieved of his duties. Yzerman out in Tampa Bay after the Sochi Olympics.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Guy's message was no longer being received by the players. It was a necessary move. Thank you Guy for your service and best of luck in the future unless you are against TB.

LetsNotUseNames

Jun 11, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Yzermans ineptness at acquiring any decent long time goaltending and other significant pieces cost Guy Boucher his job. We love Steve Yzerman here in Detroit, but his firing of Guy Boucher is a way of covering up the real problems. He should be the one relieved of his duties. Yzerman out in Tampa Bay after the Sochi Olympics.

Who would you have brought in to be between the pipes? Franchise goaltenders are not the easiest thing to find. Lindback could possibly be that guy, and if not you have to look to the draft: Vasilevskiy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad