Speculation: Bottom 6 centers available to Anaheim.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
helm glendening or nielson. wings are full on 3rd line centers. your pick for a 3rd rounder

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With the way they've drafted, the Ducks should limit depth moves and see how young guys fill roles before making any major moves. Had they waited and found out Manson was NHL ready for the top 4, Bieksa would never have been brought in.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
With the way they've drafted, the Ducks should limit depth moves and see how young guys fill roles before making any major moves. Had they waited and found out Manson was NHL ready for the top 4, Bieksa would never have been brought in.
I too like to live in a fantasy world where our GM didn’t always go for defenseman past their primes.

Reactions: lwvs84

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Note, I'm not suggesting we actually spend assets on someone (like a 2nd for Shaw for example). What I'm saying is expecting Steel to come right out from juniors to playing 12-14 minutes a night is unrealistic. How many players come right from juniors to making that big an impact in the NHL? And TBF, I saw the games played wrong for Kossila, he had 10 games last season, not 18. He couldn't cement himself in those 10 games, so thinking he will be able to completely make the transition full time is also unrealistic. Let them take and earn their spot instead of the team just throwing it on them when they may not be ready. Don't count your chickens before they hatch and all that.

That’s was my argument and post all along. Nice to see you piggy backing my view points I posted pages ago.

But I agree. There’s no way Steel or Kossila should be handed 12-14 minutes a night on a very imperative third line role. That third line will Be dependent on some type of scoring as much as the first line is for the team. Eaves is out and Kesler. So the third line will need to produce some numbers.

To expect Steel or Kossila to take on 12-14 minutes and produce some decent stats is irresponsible from Murray. And like you said bad asset management being rookies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That’s was my argument and post all along. Nice to see you piggy backing my view points I posted pages ago.

But I agree. There’s no way Steel or Kossila should be handed 12-14 minutes a night on a very imperative third line role. That third line will Be dependent on some type of scoring as much as the first line is for the team. Eaves is out and Kesler. So the third line will need to produce some numbers.

To expect Steel or Kossila to take on 12-14 minutes and produce some decent stats is irresponsible from Murray. And like you said bad asset management being rookies.
It sounds to me like there are likely to be multiple options available should BM NEED to address this. Until BM knows he needs to it would be irresponsible to spends assets to fill a hole that may not need to be filled. We don't know if Kesler will miss time next season and if he does how much. We shouldn't add a player because we might need them. If Kesler misses 20 games to start the season we'd only need Steel or Kossila to play those 20 games. That's not the end of the world nor a reason to add another player. The only reason to add a player is if we KNOW Kesler will be out an extended time.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Except that there is a huge difference between Steel who is only 20 and Kossila who is 25. Steel needs at least 1/2 year in the AHL if not longer. Kossila is an AHL vet with NHL game experience. If he isn't ready at 25 he never will be.

Reactions: Getzmonster

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

My post had really nothing to do with your original post, the post you're quoting wasn't even directed at you. I was just giving the other Ducks user a reason as to why we shouldn't expect Steel to jump right into the league right after juniors. You want to spend assets on someone that we don't even know we'll need; that's also bad asset management.

As I have said before, we'll have to wait until training camp to see what we have. Maybe Kes actually does play, maybe Steel is ready, maybe Kossila has finally taken the next step, maybe some random guy makes the jump. We don't have the extra cap space or expendable assets to be spending to make moves on the off-chance we need to. Plus, there are still decent FA options out there if we really do need to bring someone in.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Except that there is a huge difference between Steel who is only 20 and Kossila who is 25. Steel needs at least 1/2 year in the AHL if not longer. Kossila is an AHL vet with NHL game experience. If he isn't ready at 25 he never will be.

Kossila is a AHL permanent player. We all knows this. He plays 10 games a season and gets called back down. We aren’t giving a vital role of third line center duties to someone the likes of Kossila.

If the rest of the Duck fans want another Nick Ritchie. With bringing up Steel be my guest. I’ll be looking at the draft positions like Vancouver for 2019 draft.

Maybe we land Hughes, Newhook, Dach and have a franchise centerman. But that isn’t the direction this franchise needs to go. This franchise needs to find another centerman outside the franchise who can help the team get back to playoff mode.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sutter from Van?

We have Getzlaf, Kesler (+), Henrique making big money down the middle and Steel in the wings, there's no way in heck this team would/should/could take on a contract like Sutter (or some of the others mentioned here) when we may not need more than a stop gap until Kesler returns. Even if Kesler is done, really no interest in paying Sutter or anyone else that kind of salary to potentially be a 4C behind Getzlaf/Henrique/Steel for the majority of his remaining contract.

OP is singing a different tune, but all we really need is someone to take on some of the tougher defensive minutes so that the aforementioned centers can focus more on offense. That's Kesler's job when healthy but could be filled by a cheaper stop gap in the mean time.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Shaw isn't a cap dump, he gets payed under 4 million to play on the 3rd line and get 15-15/20 every year while being a physical presence. Find me a 30-35 point guy signed as recently as Andrew Shaw long term who is physical that is being paid significantly less than shaw.

Look at Shaw's numbers without powerplay time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How has Lazar been lately? He’s still young that can grow with this franchise of young adults breaking in.

No way Flames fork that over for a 3rd. Dudes on a sweetheart deal of under a million. And he’s RFA so we have complete control. No way Lazar goes for that cheap.
Lazar is a mixed bag. Lots of hustle and effort, very little finish. Honestly, I'd give him up for a 3rd, but I'm not sure a team would give that up for him.

Because they are rookies who were either in juniors last season or couldn't stay in the NHL when given a chance. Until proven otherwise, they aren't ready for the NHL full time.

Because the NHL isn't juniors. How often do players jump from juniors straight to the NHL? very few I would imagine.
Lots of rookies come in and play 3rd line minutes admirably, it's not like 3rd line time is throwing them to the wolves. Looking at forwards taken in the bottom third of the first round, from the 2011-2015 drafts, Brock Boeser, Travis Konecny, Anthony Beauvillier, Robby Fabbri, Jared McCann, David Pastrnak and Andre Burakovsky all were NHL regulars with little to no NHL time. So that would be 7 of 38 (18.42%) forwards taken in the bottom third of the first round, while that isn't a really high number, I would guess that less than 20% of them also dominated their respective leagues as much as Steel.

Honestly I think you should give Steel the job and if after 10-15 games he looks overwhelmed, them you look at the trade market and waiver wire. I say this as someone who thinks too many players are rushed to the NHL.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Lazar is a mixed bag. Lots of hustle and effort, very little finish. Honestly, I'd give him up for a 3rd, but I'm not sure a team would give that up for him.

Lots of rookies come in and play 3rd line minutes admirably, it's not like 3rd line time is throwing them to the wolves. Looking at forwards taken in the bottom third of the first round, from the 2011-2015 drafts, Brock Boeser, Travis Konecny, Anthony Beauvillier, Robby Fabbri, Jared McCann, David Pastrnak and Andre Burakovsky all were NHL regulars with little to no NHL time. So that would be 7 of 38 (18.42%) forwards taken in the bottom third of the first round, while that isn't a really high number, I would guess that less than 20% of them also dominated their respective leagues as much as Steel.

Honestly I think you should give Steel the job and if after 10-15 games he looks overwhelmed, them you look at the trade market and waiver wire. I say this as someone who thinks too many players are rushed to the NHL.

Lazar would work in Anaheim for a third line role. We aren’t expecting him to ever be a top 6 center. As long as he can produce decently in a bottom 6 role and let our wingers do their jobs. I wouldn’t mind giving up a third for em until Steel can show he’s ready for the big leagues.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
Lazar would work in Anaheim for a third line role. We aren’t expecting him to ever be a top 6 center. As long as he can produce decently in a bottom 6 role and let our wingers do their jobs. I wouldn’t mind giving up a third for em until Steel can show he’s ready for the big leagues.

Why even post this? Like seriously what through your head I'm genuinely curious. Please respond.

Art of the deal... Young posters wouldn't understand. It's called Business Tactics. I could get you to trade your house for a bucket of Water. But I don't need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad