News: Botterill-Cal Petersen will probably not sign with Buffalo

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Any hints as to where he'll sign?

Can he sign on July 1st, or is this another scenario where he has to wait until August?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I have no qualms with allowing college players this route to free agency. However I'd like to see a system where a handful of teams don't seem inordinately privileged in signing the same limited pool of re-entered talent.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
However I'd like to see a system where a handful of teams don't seem inordinately privileged in signing the same limited pool of re-entered talent.

It shouldn't be up to the league and PA to force teams to develop themselves into attractive destinations for college free agents. Teams are run by adults who at some point in their working lives have to do things for themselves.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Well Buffalo's goaltending is never secure it feels like. Would have made sense to go there and try and grab a seat on the depth chart working up.

But I suppose he doesn't want to hurt his future stock by going to a team with a defense made out of 50% swiss cheese and 50% fenceposts.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Like every other person...he'll sign with Chicago.

Buffalo did everything right with him. He attended all 4 dev camps after they drafted him, they had a big hand in his development and he loved his goalie coach liaison. They don't have a long term goalie answer that the GM believes in so the job is there.

He's leaving anyway. Likely to go to Chicago.

It's easier to stay good then get good.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It shouldn't be up to the league and PA to force teams to develop themselves into attractive destinations for college free agents. Teams are run by adults who at some point in their working lives have to do things for themselves.

When some of those teams are attractive, in no small part due to this route, it creates a positive feedback loop. Generally positive feedback loops are ill conceived systems.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
They don't have a long term goalie answer that the GM believes in so the job is there.

their GM just resigned a prospect and made a trade with vegas to ensure he didn't lose him to the expansion draft...if that's not a sign of belief then I don't know what is...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Like every other person...he'll sign with Chicago.

Buffalo did everything right with him. He attended all 4 dev camps after they drafted him, they had a big hand in his development and he loved his goalie coach liaison. They don't have a long term goalie answer that the GM believes in so the job is there.

He's leaving anyway. Likely to go to Chicago.

It's easier to stay good then get good.

The last goalie I recall being a big college player coming out FA signed with Ottawa so big markets may not be the top destination over spots.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
huh? he's not signing because he's buried on their depth chart. He wants to play in at least the AHL.

Buffalo could have easily bribed Vegas to take Ullmark over Carrier and then Petersen would have a shot at winning the backup job this year, (depending on who they brought up from free agency).

In terms of competition for future NHL playing time he's not going to find an abundance of opportunity better then Buffalo, a few maybe, but not most.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Well Buffalo's goaltending is never secure it feels like. Would have made sense to go there and try and grab a seat on the depth chart working up.

But I suppose he doesn't want to hurt his future stock by going to a team with a defense made out of 50% swiss cheese and 50% fenceposts.

Yeah, never secure.

They had Ryan Miller forever and have had Lehner for the past two seasons and will continue moving forward along with Linus Ullmark coming up.

Maybe he'll want to go to a team where the window has closed for a championship.....like San Jose?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
If I were George McPhee, I would push hard to sign him for Vegas. He can stay in Chicago and play for 2 years and then when Vegas either lets Fluery or Picard go and he can move into the back-up roll and eventually take the number 1 spot.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If I were George McPhee, I would push hard to sign him for Vegas. He can stay in Chicago and play for 2 years and then when Vegas either lets Fluery or Picard go and he can move into the back-up roll and eventually take the number 1 spot.

This is a good idea. Vegas only has three goalies coming out of the expansion draft and anyone they draft this weekend is probably a long way from turning pro.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
This is a good idea. Vegas only has three goalies coming out of the expansion draft and anyone they draft this weekend is probably a long way from turning pro.

As a WNY native and Sabres fan and a Vegas Golden Knight season ticket holder and fan, this would lessen the blow of the Sabres losing him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad