Post-Game Talk: Boston @ Washington, 8PM - The Stanislav Galiev Invitational

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The one thing I am super happy GMGM didn't do was choose Neuvy over Holtby.

Thank baby jesus in a tuxedo tee shirt that never happened.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So we clinched a spot (either 2nd or 3rd guaranteed in the metro)... so we for sure won't be a wild card team.

Do we want Pitt or NYI to win tomorrow? If Pitt wins then they are tied w/ NYI for 3rd and we clinch home ice in the first rd. If NYI win then It's set we are playing them and Pitt has a chance of not making the playoffs - but home ice is still up in the air...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So we clinched a spot (either 2nd or 3rd guaranteed in the metro)... so we for sure won't be a wild card team.

Do we want Pitt or NYI to win tomorrow? If Pitt wins then they are tied w/ NYI for 3rd and we clinch home ice in the first rd. If NYI win then It's set we are playing them and Pitt has a chance of not making the playoffs - but home ice is still up in the air...

in case anyone wondering, if pens win in regulation they tie in points and row but isles hold head to head tiebraker

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

At this point, I just want the Pens to miss the playoffs. The ideal scenario would be getting home ice and seeing Pittsburgh go home early

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
At this point, I just want the Pens to miss the playoffs. The ideal scenario would be getting home ice and seeing Pittsburgh go home early

Rangers have absolutely nothing to play for other than just practicing for the playoffs. I hope that makes the last game an easy one for the Caps. I don't think it will make it all that easy though.

Home ice for even one playoff series is a really good thing to have. It's so hard to sit there and actually root for Pittsburgh, but their final game is vs. Buffalo, so I think they're going to make it anyway. So they might as well do us a favor and beat the Islanders on Friday. I think.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Rangers have absolutely nothing to play for other than just practicing for the playoffs. I hope that makes the last game an easy one for the Caps. I don't think it will make it all that easy though.

Home ice for even one playoff series is a really good thing to have. It's so hard to sit there and actually root for Pittsburgh, but their final game is vs. Buffalo, so I think they're going to make it anyway. So they might as well do us a favor and beat the Islanders on Friday. I think.

that would most likely make it caps vs pens in first round unless isles beat the red hot blue jackets. no thanks

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Islanders are 2 points and 1 ROW ahead of Pittsburgh. If the two end up tied in points and ROWs then the Islanders would win the tie based on head-to-head no matter what happens Friday.

Vladiator16*

I'm just floored at how quickly his game developed. The talent was evident from day one, but he's assertive, smart, and decisive in all three zones. His offensive zone entries are effortless. I do wish he'd shoot a little more.

I dont think he is a shooter by nature, but again I don't think he is just a passer... He is a playmaker, whatever it takes, fun to watch. Our future looks good with Kuz, Burt ;), and Stas. Great game for the kids...
As many have said, I'm happier then pig in **** with Nicky's turn around, it's been a while since he had such a dominating game, by far the best player on the ice from either team.
OV's head is elcewhere playoffs probably... I dont think he gives a **** about the rest of the season... He was hitting and all, and had a few chances, but nothing like OV we've seen 2, 3 games ago, when we needed it.
Holtby own'sBruins.

Orpik used to be one of my most hated players, like...ever... Niskanen, I just didn't like, but didn't have nothing against him... man, have I changed my mind... Thank you Pittsburgh.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
that would most likely make it caps vs pens in first round unless isles beat the red hot blue jackets. no thanks

Alright, maybe you're right. I don't know who to root for. I'll just try to not pay attention and they'll probably just tell me all about it on Saturday when our game starts.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Islanders are 2 points and 1 ROW ahead of Pittsburgh. If the two end up tied in points and ROWs then the Islanders would win the tie based on head-to-head no matter what happens Friday.

yes but are the isles really gonna beat the blue jackets and their 15-1-1 in last 17?

edit: you saw my post :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The Isles have the tiebreaker anyway. Also, I don't think the Rags will be too easy on us. They'll look to test their weapons against a physical teams to prepare themselves to an eventual series against the Bruins.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I dont think he is a shooter by nature, but again I don't think he is just a passer... He is a playmaker, whatever it takes, fun to watch. Our future looks good with Kuz, Burt ;), and Stas. Great game for the kids...
As many have said, I'm happier then pig in **** with Nicky's turn around, it's been a while since he had such a dominating game, by far the best player on the ice from either team.
OV's head is elcewhere playoffs probably... I dont think he gives a **** about the rest of the season... He was hitting and all, and had a few chances, but nothing like OV we've seen 2, 3 games ago, when we needed it.
Holtby own'sBruins.

Orpik used to be one of my most hated players, like...ever... Niskanen, I just didn't like, but didn't have nothing against him... man, have I changed my mind... Thank you Pittsburgh.

Ovi is taking it easy. The playoffs are around the corner, he doesn't want to risk any injuries now that the playoffs are clinched.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
pretty clinical today ... loved it :handclap:

Galiev looked pretty good, glad he got some ice time

keep the roll going boys, a solid effort against the Rags and then we go to war ;)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It's awesome to see Kuznetsov balling against great Ds in important situations.

If he can do that next week---sky's the limit.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
the ideal situation would be an isles win friday. there we only need a point or the isles have to beat the blue jackets who are 15-1-1 in last 17

ryan519*

Why? We would take care of the pens pretty easily, they're horribly mismanaged with a bad coach and fleury in net. And they're sinking hard right now

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Why? We would take care of the pens pretty easily, they're horribly mismanaged with a bad coach and fleury in net. And they're sinking hard right now

because letang and erhoff will most likely be back plus malkin and crosby. need I say more? lol.

plus we never beat pitt in the playoffs, lets just stay away

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I want to say one more thing. Sorry I have so much to say tonight--I feel kind of like what I imagine it feels like to be a bipolar person in a manic phase after watching what just happened.

I think one reason is this. I've been a fan for a really long time--I was too young to even remember going to my first game. I'm sure it happened in either the first or second year of the team's existence in the mid-70s. Caps were my first love and will always be my greatest love insofar as sports are concerned.

And for so long, every time Caps played Boston, if you were watching on TV or listening on the radio, several times a game, you'd basically hear the mantra, "Caps have never beaten Boston." I believe it took the Capitals until 1980, at the end of their sixth season, to do that for the first time, and I believe it was their 27th try. 0 for 26 before that I think. A handful of ties, but, whatever. And you know how when you're a kid things are kind of magnified, and monsters seem more monstrous, and stuff seems like it's never going to change much. Boston Bruins were basically like a monster to me.

The point is if you'd told the child version of me that one day the Capitals would be the first team to ever shut out another team in a season series at least three games long, in all of NHL history, and that the team they would do that to would be Boston, yeah, right. Just, no.

I know everyone wants to be all about the Cup all the time but I think this is really worth a small celebration. There is stuff along the way worth appreciating and celebrating. One day I'm sure it's gonna happen. But this evening is something I believe I will always remember, at least until dementia sets in.

If Galiev turns out to be a player, the fact that this was his first game will make tonight that much more memorable.

Sorry, there are no hockey fans that I know of down here in Austin. I have to come here and gush. I'm gonna stop now and get back to work. Good night now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad