GDT: Boston @ Washington | 4/10/22 | 1:30p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
LOL. You complained the whole damned game. Now your acting happy?

Good Lord. Insufferable.

Right.. so I have to be happy about everything the team does.. every game like you.. otherwise we get labelled "insufferable".. got it bud. Don't worry, I'll pretend to be happy when they get blasted out of the first round as well.

Get bent.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sorry, can't agree with that. The Bruins don't have as aggressive of an offensive attack as the Pens do.

Are you talking about who the #1 goalie should be for now? The team stats?

I’d like Vanecek to have had the second goal but overall his stats dwarf Samsonov’s, even if VV’s play has dipped of late.

Reactions: Drakon

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Yup, I agree. Probably should have had the second one, but he's been the better of the two.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Missed the game, but from the highlights it looks like Lars had a pretty good game. Is that right?

His goal was super lucky, but he was all over that highlight package.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Missed the game, but from the highlights it looks like Lars had a pretty good game. Is that right?

His goal was super lucky, but he was all over that highlight package.
He was significantly better than he has been, but still had one bad turnover that I remember.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

I’d like Vanecek to have had the second goal but overall his stats dwarf Samsonov’s, even if VV’s play has dipped of late.
Both Bruins goals he over played his angles and he was doing it on some other plays that thankfully the Bruins missed the net. Vitek has his limitations. He gives up some horrible rebounds in front and one time he thought he trapped the puck but it came loose. Luckily there was no Bruins player around. The d-men bailed out Vitek a fair deal.

Sammy uses too much athleticism to make saves. He needs to learn to have more control of his movements. What is good about Sammy, he has good size and mechanics to use to his advantage. He has a good ability to make 2nd and 3rd saves, where Vitek can be solid making the first save only. Where Vitek has an advantage over Sammy is how calm he is with his movements, but sometimes he can be too calm.

I think both goalies could still improve a lot with a better goalie coach. Scott Murray has been too much of a negative working with all Caps goalies since he started with the organization. Started with Holtby and Copley only lasted one season. Even when Craig Anderson was briefly with the team last season, I thought Murray showed a lack of respect working with him.

Considering Sammy had only 3 out of the last 15 goalie starts, I thought he hung in there against the Bolts and Pens. He really made some key great saves that Vitek doesn't have in him. Sammy has steal ability while Vitek's game is more about playing sound within his team playing structured in front of him. With reference of goalies of the past, Sammy plays like a Grant Fuhr and Vitek is more like a Kirk McLean.

Sometimes you can't justify goaltending from just looking at numbers. Sammy right now has a bit of a starting edge over Vitek.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One other thing. In Sammy's last 2 starts, he has shown to be helpful handling the puck on dump arounds and passing the puck to his d-men. Vitek is still poor in that regard.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

Yeah for sure. Vanecek is a fairly normal NHL level goalie. Samsonov can make amazing saves but he's just not tight enough. Some aspects of his game are not NHL level which is weird because other parts are well above average NHL level.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Turns out i got drunk, watching this game in the middle of the night. Im gonna make a prediction, right now it¨s the second period around 8 minutes left. I say BOS-WSH ends up 5-4 BOS. Im also guessing either one of Marchand or Hathaway gets a suspension. At some point, there will be a really bad penalty call.

I'll check in when the game is over the report on my findings.
Yes we win 2nd of back to back...

Reactions: YippieKaey

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Sammy is Holtby while Vitek is Neuvirth. We aren’t going far if we have to rely on Vitek in the playoffs. With that being said this team is getting hot at the right time. This weekend was the most fun I’ve had watching the team since 2019.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sammy is Holtby while Vitek is Neuvirth. We aren’t going far if we have to rely on Vitek in the playoffs. With that being said this team is getting hot at the right time. This weekend was the most fun I’ve had watching the team since 2019.

I've seen it as the opposite. Sammy is the "nervy" Neuvy who mentally just spirals out of control based on momentum or pressure. VV is closer to Holtby who had that mental edge at times and decent fundamentals but a few brainfarts here and there.

Or maybe they just have immature elements of both.

Or maybe they're not comparable at all and we can't predict which one will improve, if either does.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I've seen it as the opposite. Sammy is the "nervy" Neuvy who mentally just spirals out of control based on momentum or pressure. VV is closer to Holtby who had that mental edge at times and decent fundamentals but a few brainfarts here and there.

Or maybe they just have immature elements of both.

Or maybe they're not comparable at all and we can't predict which one will improve, if either does.
"Or maybe they're not comparable at all and we can't predict which one will improve, if either does."

This is probably the most accurate statement.

Reactions: RedRocking and g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Right.. so I have to be happy about everything the team does.. every game like you.. otherwise we get labelled "insufferable".. got it bud. Don't worry, I'll pretend to be happy when they get blasted out of the first round as well.

Get bent.
You can bitch and moan all you want, before, during, and after the games. You’ve done it for months.

Just don’t get all happy when they win and prove you wrong. It’s a bad look. Stay on the side you’ve picked … that they suck and that multiple players need to be sent packing as well as the coach and GM.

Don’t be a hypocrite, that’s it, and that’s all. Talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad