Proposal: Boston - Minnesota (HYPOTHETICAL)

Black and Gold 11

Apr 1, 2015
Spooner, Subban, and a 2nd in 2018 for Brodin, Haula, and a 3rd in 2017.
Spooner can be a strong 3C behind Koivu and Staal, while Subban becomes Minny's best goalie prospect. Haula replaces Spooner in competition for the #3C in Boston, and while Brodin isn't great offensively, he can do better in his own end than Shattenkirk or Fowler.
Thoughts?

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
No, absolutely not close whatsoever. Wouldn't do Brodin alone for all of that let alone add Haula and a pick.

Edit:To add to this, would rather have Haula than Spooner. Subban does nothing for us and swapping picks in different years is a waste. This is really not a good offer at all.

HoffmanIsGod68

Mar 1, 2015
Cornwall, Ontario
No, absolutely not close whatsoever. Wouldn't do Brodin alone for all of that let alone add Haula and a pick.

Edit:To add to this, would rather have Haula than Spooner. Subban does nothing for us and swapping picks in different years is a waste. This is really not a good offer at all.

You do realize that Spooner is a 50 point player right? I don't like the offer either, but he isn't dog meat.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Spooner, Subban, and a 2nd in 2018 for Brodin, Haula, and a 3rd in 2017.
Spooner can be a strong 3C behind Koivu and Staal, while Subban becomes Minny's best goalie prospect. Haula replaces Spooner in competition for the #3C in Boston, and while Brodin isn't great offensively, he can do better in his own end than Shattenkirk or Fowler.
Thoughts?

We can't afford to give up a young center when trying to get a young center. all the rest of our NHL centers are old and past their prime, trading away Haula in a deal for Spooner would be counter productive for the Wild... especially when that deal includes Broin as well.

Also, no need for a goaltender coming back either. We already have one we're looking to move at some point as it is.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Spooner is a noticeably better player than Haula..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Spooner is a noticeably better player than Haula..

No question in that fact... but that doesn't mean the Wild can afford to trade Haula for Spooner. Look at the age of Koivu and Staal. We may also be signing Cullen for the 4th line soon... Haula is our ONLY young center that we can project to being on the Wild in the future. We need MORE young centers, not trading away our only one for another one.

We need Haula AND Spooner in that situation, not one or the other.

Not after the 2nd half that Haula had. Dude like a completely different player under Torch, like a 50-55 point 2-way center.
Haula COULD be, but Haula hasn't proven anything yet. We've seen him show flashes like that before, only to disappear... he needs to prove he can bring it all the time.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
No question in that fact... but that doesn't mean the Wild can afford to trade Haula for Spooner. Look at the age of Koivu and Staal. We may also be signing Cullen for the 4th line soon... Haula is our ONLY young center that we can project to being on the Wild in the future. We need MORE young centers, not trading away our only one for another one.

Haula COULD be, but Haula hasn't proven anything yet. We've seen him show flashes like that before, only to disappear... he needs to prove he can bring it all the time.

He hasn't proven anything definitely, but I'd hate to trade him away for a player that he could be similar to. He didn't really have a dip in his performance after Torch, which was pretty promising to see. I know he had that flash of brilliance in the playoffs a couple years ago and then fell off. I'd rather not trade him right now though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
brodin has to have similar value to dougie hamilton... more than griffen reinhart

start with a first round pick minimum to get trade talks started

now if minny happens to be high on spooner/subban than that might change things. most bruin fans feel unsure if subban will become a starter. and spooner can score 50 points while being a liability

sooo... i dont see how minny does this deal.

something around krejci and a first for koivu and brodin might be more to their liking. i think dumba might be the better get for boston.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
^ potential is always better than the proven

It's not about potential. He played at a similar level to Spooner for the 2nd half of the season, so I'd rather see how he does under BB rather than trading him for a player that might have similar production on top of losing Brodin.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
brodin has to have similar value to dougie hamilton... more than griffen reinhart

start with a first round pick minimum to get trade talks started

now if minny happens to be high on spooner/subban than that might change things. most bruin fans feel unsure if subban will become a starter. and spooner can score 50 points while being a liability

sooo... i dont see how minny does this deal.

something around krejci and a first for koivu and brodin might be more to their liking. i think dumba might be the better get for boston.
The Wild have no desire for Subban... like... AT ALL.

It's not about potential. He played at a similar level to Spooner for the 2nd half of the season, so I'd rather see how he does under BB rather than trading him for a player that might have similar production on top of losing Brodin.
I wouldn't even go that far. Haula - potential to be Spooner or not... we NEED. We need to ADD a young center, not swap one for another one. We would still NEED a young center then in that scenario, and thus we'd be back looking for another trade... no thanks.

Thus Haula going back in a deal for Spooner is a deal killer right off the bat, as we would still have a young center hole that needs to be filled.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines

The bolded would work if its Spooner Bruins could add. Spooner is expendable now that Backes is there. McQuaid, Joe Morrow, Hayes, Colin Miller some of these may be of interest or not, just throwing it out there for either Brodin or Dumba. Bruins need a right handed deeman that can slide into the top 4 or higher

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Subban basically holds no value to Minnesota. His usefulness is too far down the road.

Spooner + for Brodin is the only trade that makes sense. And we better be really impressed with the +.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The bolded would work if its just Spooner for Brodin or Bruins could add. Spooner is expendable now the Backes is there. McQuaid, Joe Morrow, Hayes if you want 3rd line size

Brodin for Spooner+ is a better situation... and something could likely be worked out from that.

J22*

Subban basically holds no value to Minnesota. His usefulness is too far down the road.

Spooner + for Brodin is the only trade that makes sense. And we better be really impressed with the +.

Spooner is the + in a trade for Brodin, not the starting point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Then what is your starting point?

Usually a starting point is the target you want, and then you add the + to even the value... Spooner would most likely be the target as he fills the immediate need. we know he doesn't equal the value of Brodin, so obviously more is needed, which is why it's a starting point.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013

Not quite. A Spooner is a good player, and he's getting better. He's also playing a position of need.

Brodin is fantastic, but he's not getting us anything on the Bruins in which Spooner would be considered a +. Be realistic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't the Wild already have their own version of Spooner in Granlund? Same size, same age, same stats.

I haven't seen a lot of Spooner, so am I missing anything?

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Don't the Wild already have their own version of Spooner in Granlund? Same size, same age, same stats.

I haven't seen a lot of Spooner, so am I missing anything?

Not really, no. Granlund is better defensively, but Spooner actually has a shot he's been willing to use.

Really though, Koivu is getting old, and our system depth at center sucks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not really, no. Granlund is better defensively, but Spooner actually has a shot he's been willing to use.

Really though, Koivu is getting old, and our system depth at center sucks.
Unless JEE develops quick as well as Kunin...can't be relied upon right now though.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad