Proposal: Boston - Minnesota (HYPOTHETICAL)

J22*

Fletcher had RNH for Dumba + a 2nd if he wanted it. He turned that down. Now imagine what you would have to add to Spooner to get to that level of value.

also, Brodin is worth more than Dumba.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not about potential. He played at a similar level to Spooner for the 2nd half of the season, so I'd rather see how he does under BB rather than trading him for a player that might have similar production on top of losing Brodin.

First off, let's not pretend that Spooner is this player who has been delivering excellent play for years now. He had a nice year offensively, but He is nowhere near the defensive player Haula is, and his FO ability is poor. Then we throw in Brodin on top?

Bad deal for the Wild.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spooner+rights to koko+
Zboril or 1st for Brodin+a small add
?
Rights to Koko? Do you mean the guy who went home to Russia when he couldn't make a dent in the B's lineup? Or is that some mascot?

The time to offer a first was BEFORE the draft. Who knows where the B's will be drafting in 2017, and any player drafted will probably not be ready till the 2020 at the earliest. Do you really think that is interesting to Fletcher?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Sam Gagner had 8 points in 1 game. You should grab him as well

Yeah cause 1 amazing game vs. 40 solid games is comparable, come on. :laugh:

No idea how Boston's cap situation is, but could Brodin + Pominville be moved for Spooner? I have a feeling that's probably way too much cap for Boston to absorb without someone else coming back.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Rights to Koko? Do you mean the guy who went home to Russia when he couldn't make a dent in the B's lineup? Or is that some mascot?

The time to offer a first was BEFORE the draft. Who knows where the B's will be drafting in 2017, and any player drafted will probably not be ready till the 2020 at the earliest. Do you really think that is interesting to Fletcher?

I think a 50 point young Center and a 1st is interesting to any gm

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
No question in that fact... but that doesn't mean the Wild can afford to trade Haula for Spooner. Look at the age of Koivu and Staal. We may also be signing Cullen for the 4th line soon... Haula is our ONLY young center that we can project to being on the Wild in the future. We need MORE young centers, not trading away our only one for another one.

We need Haula AND Spooner in that situation, not one or the other.

Haula COULD be, but Haula hasn't proven anything yet. We've seen him show flashes like that before, only to disappear... he needs to prove he can bring it all the time.

I agree with most of your points you've made in this thread, and with your sentiments in this post, but it's also a bit disingenuous. Haula is the only young center we have that is actually projected as playing center this next season. We also have Granlund and Coyle in the NHL, however, and if we want to get nitty-gritty we have JEE, Graovac, and Kunin in our prospects.

We wouldn't lose our only young project-able center by losing Haula. That said, losing him would suck, is not something we should pursue unless it's for a huge upgrade at the position, and so far it seems BB would like to keep Coyle and Granlund at wing rather than center. All things put together, I agree, keep Haula and try to use a different piece to get Spooner, if the Bruins will have it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree with most of your points you've made in this thread, and with your sentiments in this post, but it's also a bit disingenuous. Haula is the only young center we have that is actually projected as playing center this next season. We also have Granlund and Coyle in the NHL, however, and if we want to get nitty-gritty we have JEE, Graovac, and Kunin in our prospects.

We wouldn't lose our only young project-able center by losing Haula. That said, losing him would suck, is not something we should pursue unless it's for a huge upgrade at the position, and so far it seems BB would like to keep Coyle and Granlund at wing rather than center. All things put together, I agree, keep Haula and try to use a different piece to get Spooner, if the Bruins will have it.
I mentioned your nitty-gritty in this post...

Unless JEE develops quick as well as Kunin...can't be relied upon right now though.
The point though, we can't rely on them for anything yet at this point. Spooner is an NHL player right now, they are projected to be someday, but they wouldn't be the first flops if they were to flop.

It's best to address the future in quality and in numbers. ;)

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Bruins totally shafted that kid... Earned a good look, or a trade. Got nothing.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Haula was 0.8 points per game after Torchetti took over in January. 25 points in 31 games.

One, he started that while Yeo was still here, two, he was around that for the end of the year and playoffs the previous season. The point stands that he hasn't proven consistency--either way--so you can't expect other fans to value him along with other players who have. Especially with the success he's had is well beyond his draft pedigree. More of a chance it's an aberration. By success I mean the rate at which he can score.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Fletcher had RNH for Dumba + a 2nd if he wanted it. He turned that down. Now imagine what you would have to add to Spooner to get to that level of value.

How is Spooner not a way better value thanot RNH? Both are bad possession undersized centers, they score at about the same clip (spooner p/60 2.30, RNH 1.90), and Spooner has a cap hit $5mil Lower? Besides totally irrelevant draft position, what is RNH that Spooner isn't?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really?

RNH is a good defensive player. Spooner is not.

RNH had a bad year last year due to injury but has 222 career points in the NHL. Spooner has 78.

RNH is over a year younger than Spooner.

Spooner had a career year last year with 49 points. He had a whole 13 goals. In case you didn't get the memo, Wild need goal scorers, not passers. Koivu and Granlund are very good, if not excellent, passers, and both are better defenders....in Koivu's case FAR better. Of course Haula is also very good, if not excellent, defensively.

Body of work, my man, body of work. RNH is not a perfect player, but Spooner has to put up about three or four more years like the last one and RNH has to completely disappear before you can start to compare them.

It's like me saying that Haula ( and I love Haula)is as good as RNH because they both scored 34 points last year.

I agree that Spooner's cap hit is more attractive than RNH...for one more year. After that? Spooner would be nice to have....if he had a decent FO % and played better defence. Trading Brodin for him? Well, I think that ship has sailed. I would think that if BOS had offered the 14 th and Spooner for Brodin Fletcher might've taken it...don't know if it was offered.

Didn't hear much, if any news of trade talks between the two teams.

Last edited:

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines

Not much difference between RNH and Spooner other then the hype as one guy was a 1st overall, this is not McDavid, he has not panned out like he was supposed too. Sure he had more pts, but in a free wheeling system and more icetime he better. Switch teams and its closer then you think. Bruins play an ultra defensive game and cherry picking is not allowed. Spooner improved his own end game last year.

Bruins could add they have picks, or prospects or players. Depends what they want but the Bruins have a lot of flexibility. Haula is off so stop bringing him up. Brodin has 54 pts in 4 yrs so he will bring not much offence at all and was minus 4 last year. Lets see what he does in the next few years, can he do what Hedman did, raise his game another level. He is a stay at home defensive guy, shoots left so he may not be what the Bruins need anyways, no use breaking the bank for that. Bruins really need a guy to take over for Chara, next year. A right handed 24 to 28 year old who has proven himself for 5 years. Dumba may be someone they may have an interset in, though he has not put up a lot of pts in the pros either. We have no clue so what we say and what the GMs think is way off. Look at Subban no one seen that coming, or Hall that alone puts a dent in the value of forwards that have not learned the pro game properly.

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Really?

RNH is a good defensive player. Spooner is not.

RNH had a bad year last year due to injury but has 222 career points in the NHL. Spooner has 78.

RNH is over a year younger than Spooner.

Spooner had a career year last year with 49 points. He had a whole 13 goals. In case you didn't get the memo, Wild need goal scorers, not passers. Koivu and Granlund are very good, if not excellent, passers, and both are better defenders....in Koivu's case FAR better. Of course Haula is also very good, if not excellent, defensively.

Body of work, my man, body of work. RNH is not a perfect player, but Spooner has to put up about three or four more years like the last one and RNH has to completely disappear before you can start to compare them.

It's like me saying that Haula ( and I love Haula)is as good as RNH because they both scored 34 points last year.

I agree that Spooner's cap hit is more attractive than RNH...for one more year. After that? Spooner would be nice to have....if he had a decent FO % and played better defence. Trading Brodin for him? Well, I think that ship has sailed. I would think that if BOS had offered the 14 th and Spooner for Brodin Fletcher might've taken it...don't know if it was offered.

Didn't hear much, if any news of trade talks between the two teams.

If RNH is such a good defensive player why are his possession numbers so horrible for his entire career? Both play sheltered minutes (until last year for rnh where he was horrid) both have similar production (what have you done for me lately, my man, what have you done for me lately), and Spooner cap hit is literally 1/10th of RNHS. Hfboard posters and some gms might take the more expensive guy but I would contend that would be pretty dumb.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
The ship has sailed on Brodin to BOS. The value is just not there any longer. Spooner was a fit before Staal, not anymore. He's not better suited to play 3C than Haula, who has vastly superior defensive and FO abilities. Say what you want about Haula being unproven but Ill take Haula on the Wild 10/10 times over Spooner at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad