Speculation: Boston looking to move Urho Vaakanainen

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Would be a silly move by Boston. Considering the source isn’t this lock worthy?
Yea I believe it would be a questionable move by Boston as well and I was debating whether to make this thread but looking at the Bruins situation it might not be out of the question that Sweeney is atleast talking to other teams about moving Vaakanainen since Boston is a team that will be making another run for a cup before the window closes on them.

Sweeney might prefer to add a veteran LD since it’s not known whether Chara would return to Boston for another season and the Bruins have Lauzon and Zboril also fighting for a spot on the B’s roster.

If it was me I’d rather keep Vaakanainen on the Bruins as I believe he could be a really good shutdown defender in Boston and those type of defenders are usually counted on more come playoff time.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Doesn’t really make sense from a positional need. Sure Zboril should get a look but what if Chara isn’t back?

I don’t think Boston should be looking to trade him

Reactions: Husqvarna

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
it certainly made for entertaining times on the bruins board. then he tried to
come back under a different name, and that didn't end well either.

as for vaakanainen, no loss if they trade him. he's a vanilla middle pairing guy
with minimal offensive upside.
How did you guys sniff him out the second time (and the first time for that matter - was his name Jimmy Murphy on here?)

Also, other than being a blogger, was he a media person before that? He gives me really big Jeff Veillette vibes (the Leafs equivalent of this donkey).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yea I believe it would be a questionable move by Boston as well and I was debating whether to make this thread but looking at the Bruins situation it might not be out of the question that Sweeney is atleast talking to other teams about moving Vaakanainen since Boston is a team that will be making another run for a cup before the window closes on them.

Sweeney might prefer to add a veteran LD since it’s not known whether Chara would return to Boston for another season and the Bruins have Lauzon and Zboril also fighting for a spot on the B’s roster.

If it was me I’d rather keep Vaakanainen on the Bruins as I believe he could be a really good shutdown defender in Boston and those type of defenders are usually counted on more come playoff time.

I just don’t know what else they have to offer from the system besides Vaakaneinen to get better today. In addition to Zboril and Lauzon, they just used their 2nd round pick on another LD and signed two LD college free agents that those that know more than me think might only need half a season to a season in Providence to be NHL ready. It’s just the position with the most kids in the system and Vaakaneinen has the expansion exemption and highest rating on the prospect lists and would bring back the most value for the end of this window.

Reactions: PlayMakers

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
I would love the Rangers to acquire him but I doubt we match up on a deal.I’m not sure what Boston is looking for but I imagine a RW

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
How did you guys sniff him out the second time (and the first time for that matter - was his name Jimmy Murphy on here?)

Also, other than being a blogger, was he a media person before that? He gives me really big Jeff Veillette vibes (the Leafs equivalent of this donkey).

he showed up letting everyone know who he was under the name "hockeyscribe22". was
probably around 2004. spent most time promoting his blogs and shows, or sending PMs
to people to come fight him. said kessel had a drug problem (but it was cancer). think the
2nd time he came back, it was to "defend his honor" so wasn't hard to sniff him out. before
that? probably in his mom's basement.

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
We've got enough LD prospects already.
I disagree since you can never have enough talent just look at Tampa. I take it you were not happy with Gorton selecting Braden Schneider with Trouba,Fox,Tony and Nils on the current depth chart? I’m sure Stevie Y was happy to flip his extra LHD prospect and Centre in Hajek,Howden to land Miller and Mac

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I disagree since you can never have enough talent just look at Tampa. I take it you were not happy with Gorton selecting Braden Schneider with Trouba,Fox,Tony and Nils on the current depth chart? I’m sure Stevie Y was happy to flip his extra LHD prospect and Centre in Hajek,Howden to land Miller and Mac

I wanted a center there, but if they thought Schneider was the BPA at that spot, I'm fine with it. Our RHD depth almost entirely at the NHL level, and I expect Tony to be gone sooner rather than later. Our LHD depth is almost entirely not at the NHL level. I don't see the point in trading for another unknown until we see what these guys can do.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thanks for the response.

It makes sense. He's a jackass on Twitter, too.

Guy is a clown. He created an account on CF just to chirp me for a post I made calling him a hack (example of why we call him Jimmy thin skin). I pretty sure its still the only post he's ever made on there lol

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Vegas is in " Cap Hell" could there be anything possible with Pacioretty being involved ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Vegas is in " Cap Hell" could there be anything possible with Pacioretty being involved ?

I wonder if teams around the league are motivated to not help Vegas out with their problems considering how they fleeced half the league and they have such a "boisterous" owner?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lose Krug and likely Chara isn’t coming back to them so why would they not want UV on the roster next season? Seems odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad