Proposal: Boston/LA

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously the reason Toffoli wasn't a Bruin last season... But now you know the ask

i'd be shocked if the kings got a 1st and studnicka type package from anyone. i don't even
think toffoli rates a 1st round pick based on where the market has gone in the past few
years. is toffoli far off from marcus johansson last year? 2nd and 4th. i would think
kings can get a 2nd and B prospect for toffoli (like a zboril or lauzon).

Reactions: BBB24

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
i'd be shocked if the kings got a 1st and studnicka type package from anyone. i don't even
think toffoli rates a 1st round pick based on where the market has gone in the past few
years. is toffoli far off from marcus johansson last year? 2nd and 4th. i would think
You'd be surprised just how motivated a player can become during his contract year... he's on a near 30 goal pace and the way we've been generating scoring opportunities he could head into the TDL around the 20 goal mark which would require the package the Kings were said to be seeking

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010

I think this is a fair statement in terms of value for the market last year. Now if there becomes a bidding war with other contenders it could push to a late first (or 2nd and 3rd). It would be smart for the kings to wait until the deadline to see what the market will do. I don’t think the kings need any b prospects, it should be pick based imo.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
not if the asking price is as advertised.
You should look around and find out how many people thought Jake Muzzin was worth a 2nd and a C prospect... Toffoli might be a UFA but he’s likely to command a similar salary, will be 28 next season and would likely excel with a better team like Boston.
Overpayments are a guarantee at the TDL, so as I said before, it may not be the Bruins but someone will pay.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I think kovalchuk is showing signs of life... is still a hell of a PP weapon... and honestly, I think he would have some chemistry on a boston second line with krejci/debrusk

LA looks like a team that is going to tank for a top 5 pick but I think they want some character guys in their dressing room the next few years to help set a good learning enviroment for the incoming kids

my proposal

Ilya Kovalchuk {1/2 retained}
Kyle Clifford {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
for
David Backes
Kevan Miller {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
Peter cehlarik {a talented nhl ready winger that has been too inconsistent but might benefit from a new chance}
and Boston's second round pick this year
{conditional second round pick next year if kovalchuk meets minimum scoring standards}

my reasoning... Clifford can help Boston with some grit component at playoff time if needed... hes a playoff proven warrior. Kovalchuk would be one hell of a help to boston's second PP unit with Krecji/McAvoy//and whoever the other 2 guys end up being. its a steep price to give up the 2 second round picks but it is only 2 picks if kovalchuk is truely rebounding.

for LA... I think they would appreciate backes cost less real dollars than kovalchuk. Miller is a local California kid that could resign for cheap and stick around and probably be a nice marketing guy. cehlarik does have a skill set that could fit in nicely with kopitar… just depends if he buys into working harder to salvage an nhl career. LA would be able to resign Clifford if they wanted after this year. and honestly, I dont think keeping kovalchuk is in their best interest. Hes not considered a good influence on kids. When he struggles hes kind of a controversial distraction. He's wasted on a non-playoff team.

LA spends some of their cap room... but they get one of the really high quality locker room leaders... and two rough and tumble vets that will protect the kids from abuse.

Ahh hell no from the Kings.You've no idea how Kovi is in the Kings locker room.Players and Organization said he is a great locker room guy.Clifford is going no where as the organization and he wants to stay.You seem not to know the plan or the roster of the Kings.They do not need more veterans.Kings say no.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I’d say Johansson and Toffoli are pretty different. Toffoli has had three seasons better than Johansson’s best, and even at his absolute worst last year (along with the rest of the Kings), he still provided some solid chances. He just happened to score at an incredibly unlucky 5.8% shooting percentage. His career average is 10%, so he scored just about half as many goals as you would have expected him to last season.

Anyway, Toffoli is definitely one of the guys most likely to be traded by LA and I would be really surprised if he nets anything less than a first.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Tomas Tatar went for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Muzzin was signed for one more year, Toffoli is an UFA. Also a different situation.

We can discuss this further but it all depends how desperate a team is. If I was LA, I would want two seconds and a third (when he is his usual self).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad