Proposal: Boston/LA

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think kovalchuk is showing signs of life... is still a hell of a PP weapon... and honestly, I think he would have some chemistry on a boston second line with krejci/debrusk

LA looks like a team that is going to tank for a top 5 pick but I think they want some character guys in their dressing room the next few years to help set a good learning enviroment for the incoming kids

my proposal

Ilya Kovalchuk {1/2 retained}
Kyle Clifford {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
for
David Backes
Kevan Miller {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
Peter cehlarik {a talented nhl ready winger that has been too inconsistent but might benefit from a new chance}
and Boston's second round pick this year
{conditional second round pick next year if kovalchuk meets minimum scoring standards}

my reasoning... Clifford can help Boston with some grit component at playoff time if needed... hes a playoff proven warrior. Kovalchuk would be one hell of a help to boston's second PP unit with Krecji/McAvoy//and whoever the other 2 guys end up being. its a steep price to give up the 2 second round picks but it is only 2 picks if kovalchuk is truely rebounding.

for LA... I think they would appreciate backes cost less real dollars than kovalchuk. Miller is a local California kid that could resign for cheap and stick around and probably be a nice marketing guy. cehlarik does have a skill set that could fit in nicely with kopitar… just depends if he buys into working harder to salvage an nhl career. LA would be able to resign Clifford if they wanted after this year. and honestly, I dont think keeping kovalchuk is in their best interest. Hes not considered a good influence on kids. When he struggles hes kind of a controversial distraction. He's wasted on a non-playoff team.

LA spends some of their cap room... but they get one of the really high quality locker room leaders... and two rough and tumble vets that will protect the kids from abuse.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
i dont understand this for LA...

they are going to retain over 3 million on the best player for the next 2 years, take back a lesser player for 6 million over the same 2 years.

swap 2 UFAS of nearly the same value

to gain a 2nd round pick and a 24 year old ahler?

all while pissing off drew doughty
Oh didnt see the 1/2 retention lol

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Clifford and Miller complicate needlessly. As does the retention.

Cehlarik was just on waivers, doesn't really have much value.

A 2nd is fine, but if I am LA, I won't a young player that can play on the roster.

From Boston, that means one of the young left D (Vaak, Zboril, Lauzon) or one of the near ready forwards (Frederic, Senyshyn) with the d-men being better players right now. I'd see if Senyshyn + Lauzon gets it done instead of the 2nd. Sure throw in Cehlarik anyway.

Another thing to keep in mind...

Kovi won't be on PP1 for Boston. That takes away a lot of his value. At 5 on 5 he is one of the worst 2 way players. You can say that the Bruins can shelter him there, but its not like DeBrusk and Krejci is the Bruins best defensive two some.

Heinen Krejci Kovi
Bjork Coyle DeBrusk

Maybe that works?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Miller a marketing guy in LA?
source.gif

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m an outsider too

They can’t unload Backes and ask them to retain 50% on Kovi.

To get that Boston would need to trade their 1st and their top prospect
Ya i didnt see the 1/2 retention part... thats significant

Reactions: YP44

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No way from this king fan Clifford is valued much much much higher then a throw in I think management thinks hes a core piece and i doubt he is going anywhere at least not till deadline even then i see him resigned

As for Kovo hes has bounced back nicely so far under better coaching I can see maybe 2 million retain not 50% and ur looking 1st and no cap dump so sorry no to this nonsense

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Clifford could be a king his whole career. He is a highly valued locker room guy/solid grinder. He won’t be given away cheap.

The deal is pretty lopsided for Boston. Kings need to unload Kovy at the deadline for picks. Maybe a better pick per amount of retention if needed.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I think kovalchuk is showing signs of life... is still a hell of a PP weapon... and honestly, I think he would have some chemistry on a boston second line with krejci/debrusk

LA looks like a team that is going to tank for a top 5 pick but I think they want some character guys in their dressing room the next few years to help set a good learning enviroment for the incoming kids

my proposal

Ilya Kovalchuk {1/2 retained}
Kyle Clifford {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
for
David Backes
Kevan Miller {headed to ufa at the end of this season}
Peter cehlarik {a talented nhl ready winger that has been too inconsistent but might benefit from a new chance}
and Boston's second round pick this year
{conditional second round pick next year if kovalchuk meets minimum scoring standards}

my reasoning... Clifford can help Boston with some grit component at playoff time if needed... hes a playoff proven warrior. Kovalchuk would be one hell of a help to boston's second PP unit with Krecji/McAvoy//and whoever the other 2 guys end up being. its a steep price to give up the 2 second round picks but it is only 2 picks if kovalchuk is truely rebounding.

for LA... I think they would appreciate backes cost less real dollars than kovalchuk. Miller is a local California kid that could resign for cheap and stick around and probably be a nice marketing guy. cehlarik does have a skill set that could fit in nicely with kopitar… just depends if he buys into working harder to salvage an nhl career. LA would be able to resign Clifford if they wanted after this year. and honestly, I dont think keeping kovalchuk is in their best interest. Hes not considered a good influence on kids. When he struggles hes kind of a controversial distraction. He's wasted on a non-playoff team.

LA spends some of their cap room... but they get one of the really high quality locker room leaders... and two rough and tumble vets that will protect the kids from abuse.

So we trade Clifford?!? I think he signs in LA for a few more years, he is the perfect 4th liner.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Clifford and Miller complicate needlessly. As does the retention.

Cehlarik was just on waivers, doesn't really have much value.

A 2nd is fine, but if I am LA, I won't a young player that can play on the roster.

From Boston, that means one of the young left D (Vaak, Zboril, Lauzon) or one of the near ready forwards (Frederic, Senyshyn) with the d-men being better players right now. I'd see if Senyshyn + Lauzon gets it done instead of the 2nd. Sure throw in Cehlarik anyway.

Another thing to keep in mind...

Kovi won't be on PP1 for Boston. That takes away a lot of his value. At 5 on 5 he is one of the worst 2 way players. You can say that the Bruins can shelter him there, but its not like DeBrusk and Krejci is the Bruins best defensive two some.

Heinen Krejci Kovi
Bjork Coyle DeBrusk

Maybe that works?

LA’s dman pool is pretty loaded at the moment. It’s not a huge need.

Bjornfot
Mikey Anderson
Durzi
Clague
Phillips

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I appreciate the thought process but I'd respectfully decline. I'd simplify. I don't think we'd retain on Kovy and take back Backes without a significant sweetener, though. Think of the first for Marleau.

I also don't think Clifford goes anywhere ever, he means more to the Kings for intangibles than any fair trade value.

Kovy for a young player (middle sixer or #4ish d-man) and mediocre pick I could get behind no problem, even with retention. Edit: Cehlarik and a conditional 2nd? Done. If you want to dump Backes and/or Millar that's a different trade imo.

Reactions: wintersej

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
no chance from LA's POV. If Backes is coming back than retention on Kovalchuk would be closer to Nil. Clifford himself could likely return a 2nd but all signs point to him being re-signed.

As for LA's cap space. Given how tight to the cap a lot of the year is I think that will be LA's best asset and could get more for using it than this.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wouldn’t even sell Kovalchuk for a late 2nd let alone take Backes back. You want retention on top? This is laughably bad.

Reactions: Lt Dan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
i dont understand this for LA...

they are going to retain over 3 million on the best player for the next 2 years, take back a lesser player for 6 million over the same 2 years.

swap 2 UFAS of nearly the same value

to gain a 2nd round pick and a 24 year old ahler?

all while pissing off drew doughty

Yep. Boston would have to add one of their better prospects in Frederic or Zboril/Lauzon for this to make any sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad