Proposal: Boston - Colorado

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
If Hayes is useless then I am not trading Iginla for him. Sure, Iginla is mostly worthless but he is gone after this season. Hayes has another year left even if it is for less this year it's more over two.

Would rather trade him for a prospect and a pick or a better prospect and no pick.

One thing you will notice is that Avs fans mostly tell it like it is. Pretty funny watching other fanbases hype up guys that they put into every trade proposal and are trying to get rid of him. As if they themselves are the salesman who are pitching other people to buy. I guess it's basically fantasy hockey league GM style around here. Iginla is what he is at this point and Avs fans know exactly what that is. And also tell you like it is. Some other fans should take notice when hyping up their own players that you aren't a car salesman. For instance? Pouliot is not a top end second liner.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If Hayes is useless then I am not trading Iginla for him. Sure, Iginla is mostly worthless but he is gone after this season. Hayes has another year left even if it is for less this year it's more over two.

Would rather trade him for a prospect and a pick or a better prospect and no pick.

One thing you will notice is that Avs fans mostly tell it like it is. Pretty funny watching other fanbases hype up guys that they put into every trade proposal and are trying to get rid of him. As if they themselves are the salesman who are pitching other people to buy. I guess it's basically fantasy hockey league GM style around here. Iginla is what he is at this point and Avs fans know exactly what that is. And also tell you like it is. Some other fans should take notice when hyping up their own players that you aren't a car salesman. For instance? Pouliot is not a top end second liner.

Iginla one year 5 million actual salary 5.333 cap hit
Hayes two years 2.3 million this year 2.6 million next

2.3 + 2.6 = 4.9

Which is the bigger number 4.9 or 5? Looks like someone didn't bother to check. Also because I'm assuming an Oilers fan is praising Pouliot you felt the need to post a holier than though post about how much better Avs fans are than most? What's the point of your little lecture?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

2.3 + 2.6 = 4.9

Which is the bigger number 4.9 or 5? Looks like someone didn't bother to check. Also because I'm assuming an Oilers fan is praising Pouliot you felt the need to post a holier than though post about how much better Avs fans are than most? What's the point of your little lecture?

Do you really think that was directed only at Oiler fans? lol They have just won the most annoying award lately (for Avs fans) because of the constant Barrie proposals, and the classic HF tearing down of a player you'd like to acquire mentality.

He was making a point, and it went right over your head.

Lets make it simple, cap hit for one year versus a cap hit for two years, for two players who both fan bases view as a liability for their contracts? The point is that you take the larger amount of pain for the shorter period of time. Get it?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN

2.3 + 2.6 = 4.9

True enough. I saw the 2.6 next season for Hayes and thought it was the same this upcoming season. You are correct that it is actually 2.3. My mistake.

In my defense, 5.2 total for two seasons would have been more than the 5 we still owe on iggy. And to your point, the cap hit would still be slightly higher on iggy.

The point of my post still stands. If he isn't going to be a better fit then it's a lateral move at best, and at worst we retain 2.6 mill on the cap next year where all of Iginlas goes away after this season.

I will also admit to not know precisely what we would get if we got Hayes since I haven't seen a lot of him.

Also yeah Oilers fans are pesky lately, but I suppose it's not quite to the Bozak levels yet. It's not directed specific to any one fanbase. Just wish fans were more honest sometimes. I appreciate the math lesson too, never hurts to brush up on it a bit ;)

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
True enough. I saw the 2.6 next season for Hayes and thought it was the same this upcoming season. You are correct that it is actually 2.3. My mistake.

In my defense, 5.2 total for two seasons would have been more than the 5 we still owe on iggy. And to your point, the cap hit would still be slightly higher on iggy.

The point of my post still stands. If he isn't going to be a better fit then it's a lateral move at best, and at worst we retain 2.6 mill on the cap next year where all of Iginlas goes away after this season.

I will also admit to not know precisely what we would get if we got Hayes since I haven't seen a lot of him.

Also yeah Oilers fans are pesky lately, but I suppose it's not quite to the Bozak levels yet. It's not directed specific to any one fanbase. Just wish fans were more honest sometimes. I appreciate the math lesson too, never hurts to brush up on it a bit ;)

I agree it makes sense to hold on to Iginla for another year rather than trade him for someone mediocre with a not insignificant cap hit next season. I'd rather retain 50% on Iggy and move him for a pick, assuming he'd even waive.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I agree it makes sense to hold on to Iginla for another year rather than trade him for someone mediocre with a not insignificant cap hit next season. I'd rather retain 50% on Iggy and move him for a pick, assuming he'd even waive.

I think that the only time he might agree to wave his NTC would be at the TDL, and to a contender. I don't think that is what Boston is, but they've surprised before. With Claude Julien it's possible.

Doubt he agrees at all though.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

2.3 + 2.6 = 4.9

Actually it is
Iginla: 5m + 0m
Vs
Hayes: 2,3m + 2,6

Hayes wins the first and loses the second, the winner by unanimous decision Jarome Iginla!

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Iginla did okay in Boston the first time but he was still a shadow of his former self. He has slipped further and is a lesser player now than when he was in Boston. He still has the skill to shoot the puck if he is given the minutes but I would much rather see young guys given that spot in Boston because they aren't going anywhere this year unless they acquire 2 top 4 D.

Hayes was inconsistent but his numbers were decent for a 3rd liner. I think people were expecting more from him which is their own fault. He's a 3rd liner that got traded for a 2nd liner and dead cap space. They downgraded to move Savard's contract and now some people are expecting to have the guy replace Reilly Smith and I don't believe that was ever the plan.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Why would he stay in Colorado?

His fault for putting his faith in the Penguins instead of Bruins in '13, Bruins definitely could have taken that series with a healthy Iginla at the time instead of the giant anchor in Jagr.

Yeah but it's 2016 now. Boston isn't challenging for a Cup this year

If he wanted a cup he'd probably want to go to TB/Dallas/STL/WSH

I omit Pittsburgh because I doubt he'd do a second go around

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Yeah apparently the real hang-up on any Iginla deal is that he actually loves living in Colorado. I don't love the idea and I don't hate it, but I expect he'll retire here after this season. It's really a shame we got the tail end of Iginla's career, he and Sakic around 2003 would have been lethal. The fact that I'm pining for 13 years ago should tell you how much water Iginla's career is treading.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Apparently he doesn't want to move his family once again. However, I think he's tradable to the city where he plans to move next year (post retirement). I don't know which city it is, though.

It could be Denver :cry:

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

His fault for putting his faith in the Penguins instead of Bruins in '13, Bruins definitely could have taken that series with a healthy Iginla at the time instead of the giant anchor in Jagr.

It's amazing that the Bruins leading scorer that year had one goal in the playoffs and the guy they got for scoring help had 0 goals and that series was very close. Every game but one of them could have gone either way and I think 3 went to OT. Seguin and Jagr didn't give them any help at all.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is exactly what hes done here in Colorado, and it's gotten worse.

The most frustrating thing is he will have a few games throughout the year that remind you of the old Iginla. So it makes you think he is actually ****ing with you and does not give two *****.

He CAN back check, and he CAN play physical, and he CAN win board battles, but he has to actually skate hard and compete.

It's like.... How do I call this future HOF player a lazy POS? He has to be just declining, until he just decided to show up for a game or two. You're like wtf was that, how do we get more of it?

It's also clear he does not give two ***** about chasing a cup, and is happily retired on the roster in Colorado. Or he'd waive his NMC. That's not really an attitude you want the younger players around.

For the leadership talk, he comes off as a nice guy that has about as much passion as a wet noodle at this point.

This, so much this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad