Pre-Game Talk: Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes, I know... it still could be the rangers, but realistically we are probably facing the Bruins next round. Can anyone explain to me the reasons people seem confident the Bruins will handle the pens in any way, shape, or form, if they do face them next round?

First off the pens are 3-0 against them this year, yes... all of those games were close, but also the Pens never had the full contingent of superstars they have right now for any of those games.

Secondly the bruins were not as good as the Sens defensively this year. Anderson was a better goalie, and the Pens tormented him to no extent.

Thirdly, Boston hasnt seen any team even close to the pens thus far. Toronto, which pushed Boston to 7 games was significantly inferior to the pens in both offense and defense. The Rangers were abysmal offensively all season, and were only 5% better than the regular season pens in defense. Like the Sens, they have to sell out on D to score.

The Pens were more physical in all of their games vs Boston this year. I cannot see how anyone can look at those games then look at what the pens added and say the Bruins have anything more than the typical underdog's chance at this series.

Last edited by a moderator:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yes, I know... it still could be the rangers, but realistically we are probably facing the Bruins next round. Can anyone explain to me the reasons people seem confident the Bruins will handle the pens in any way, shape, or form, if they do face them next round?

First off the pens are 3-0 against them this year, yes... all of those games were close, but also the Pens never had the full contingent of superstars they have right now for any of those games.

Secondly the bruins were not as good as the Sens defensively this year. Anderson was a better goalie, and the Pens tormented him to no extent.

Thirdly, Boston hasnt seen any team even close to the pens thus far. Toronto, which pushed Boston to 7 games was significantly inferior to the pens in both offense and defense. The Rangers were abysmal offensively all season, and were only 5% better than the regular season pens in defense. Like the Sens, they have to sell out on D to score.

The Pens were more physical in all of their games vs Boston this year. I cannot see how anyone can look at those games then look at what the pens added and say the Bruins have anything more than the typical underdog's chance at this series.

We have the size to handle Boston & we have a much deeper roster. Plus, Chara is playing a ton of minutes & is getting gassed. The plan will be simple, go after him with a strong dose of Kunitz/Cooke/TK & just pound it out. They don't have the horses to play at our level, especially if they are going to rely on Jagr to produce. Julien rarely changes up his lines & isn't a dynamic guy, so unless injuries occur, we know what the matchups will be. I don't put much stock in the Toronto series since we certainly didn't play well during the Islander series, but it did show cracks. We'll have our work cut out for us, no doubt, but we can take them. Bartkowski & Krug are good young players on their blueline, but aside from Krecji, their forwards aren't exactly lighting it up either. That being said, it should be a good series...

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This is a series that I think Iggy works on the third line. Spread that depth around and go at them full tilt.

Can't wait to see Murray vs Lucic.

Break out the tissues for Julie. I'm sure he'll be crying all series.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Pens are easily the favorite in a series with Boston. That doesn't mean much. You still have to play the games but the Pens are the clear favorite. The fans that say otherwise probably didn't bother to see how our teams matched up the past few years. The Pens have won like 5 straight against Boston and have beat them frequently in Boston over the past few years too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
36751079.jpg

There is so much wrong with this thread, on so many levels. Posted before the Bruins even punch a ticket to the finals so could be the Rangers. Then the talk is how anyone could possibly pick the Bruins over the Pens.

To be honest, if this does come to pass, and it is way premature even to think of, the Pens certainly would be the underdog.

Underdog%2BCartoon%2BWallpaper-725365.jpg

Boston has looked extremely dominant, while the Pens were extremely lucky to get by the Islanders, who showed Boston and the rest of the NHL how to beat us. The Senators made an admirable effort, but their stars were injured and only a fraction of their normal selves.

No doubt, if this matchup even happened, we would be lucky to not get embarrassed.

Definately would be the decided dogs in this hypothetical series.

Which we are stupid to even be talking about yet.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
My only concern is the Pens allowing the Bruins to get under their skin and off their game. They are going to try and guys like Marchand and Lucic are pretty effective at it.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
My only concern is the Pens allowing the Bruins to get under their skin and off their game. They are going to try and guys like Marchand and Lucic are pretty effective at it.

They are also prone to taking dumb penalties and against the Pens PP that is playing with fire.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I fear the Isles & Sens more than the Bruins.

Maybe that's just me. For as big and physical they are, they seem to also be a team that could be easily thrown off, they also like to sit back on their lead and not attack, complete shutdown mode, something that the Pens exploited this year more than once. Zero fears, for as incompetent as Bylsma can be, he's no where near as dim-witted as Julien is. I feel safe knowing that and like our chances because of that.

IF its the Rangers, lol...I want to see how long it takes before the Pens make Torts implode. I love the match-up of either team. With the Isles and Sens, you had a young bunch that could upset you, with the B's or Rags, it's a bunch of teams that the Pens know well enough and match up incredibly well against.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

If they didn't learn anything from the Isles series vs Martin and the Sens series vs Conacher/Pageau/Neil, then they deserve to get knocked out by the Bruins if that big nosed midget and Lucic get under their skin.

I think Cooke will be the guy that throws them off, they're still rather ornery about the Savard thing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bruins have unparalleled depth down the middle and on defense. They will be rolling 5 lines all series long and I don't think the Penguins will be able to handle their depth in the end. Also expect Jagr to "kill" his old team.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm confident we can beat Boston. The main thing that gives me cause for concern is their size at forward and tenacity around the net. If we have a weakness, it's playing behind our net and clearing the crease. Guys like Lucic, Horton, even Thorton could wreak havoc down low. Our D will have to win races to pucks, and get the puck out asap. But that could lead to bad passes and turnovers.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Not sure why anyone would expect us to win this easily tbh.

First off you never know if the Pens will come out and be totally defensively irresponsible as they are prone to do. They lose in that scenario.

Secondly the Bruins pk is very aggresive and very good. So that could negate a power play that has been instrumental thus far.

Their 4th line is dominating right now. I think our 4th line can be just as good but that depends on what line up we ice.

They have the horses to make it a very physical series and the scoring lines to make you pay for mistakes much more than the Sens.

I think the Pens in 7 but I expect it be a tough well played series.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
This will be a tough series, but we should be fine if we play like we did against the Senators. Rask is a good goalie, but so was Anderson. I don't really pay much attention to the regular season record against them, it's completely different in the playoffs.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not going to be easy but this is the series that Morrow and Murray can step up and most importantly keep up as the Bruins aren't the fastes team. Long series but we will be fine

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Some members of their fanbase are so arrogant. Looking forward to the reality-check.

Some? Every Bruins fan I know are that way including the ones on this site. Seeing the stuff they write you would think they're the Red Wings from the last 15 years. Hopefully we spank them

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I can't tell you who wins this but it's gonna be a fun one to watch.

The last game we played them, Vitale was driving Marchand nuts all game.

I wonder if theres anyway Vitale checks in this series.

We do need all the faceoff support we can get but if both Jokinen and Vitale dress, who's gonna sit?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I can't tell you who wins this but it's gonna be a fun one to watch.

The last game we played them, Vitale was driving Marchand nuts all game.

I wonder if theres anyway Vitale checks in this series.

We do need all the faceoff support we can get but if both Jokinen and Vitale dress, who's gonna sit?

Jokinen drove the bruins nuts last game as well

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
PIT/BOS, my two teams. I can't wait to see this. I don't see the Pens losing unless they have a meltdown...again. Pens in 6, I'll say.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I think the bruins are being overrated by pretty much everyone. In all reality this team shouldnt be in the playoffs as of now if it wasnt for the curse of toronto.

It's the west teams I'm not sure about.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
We have the size to handle Boston & we have a much deeper roster. Plus, Chara is playing a ton of minutes & is getting gassed. The plan will be simple, go after him with a strong dose of Kunitz/Cooke/TK & just pound it out. They don't have the horses to play at our level, especially if they are going to rely on Jagr to produce. Julien rarely changes up his lines & isn't a dynamic guy, so unless injuries occur, we know what the matchups will be. I don't put much stock in the Toronto series since we certainly didn't play well during the Islander series, but it did show cracks. We'll have our work cut out for us, no doubt, but we can take them. Bartkowski & Krug are good young players on their blueline, but aside from Krecji, their forwards aren't exactly lighting it up either. That being said, it should be a good series...

And Morrow. And wasn't even Neal targeting during a game or two in the regular season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad