GDT: Boston Bruins v New York Rangers - 2/12/13 - 730p EST - NBCSN, NESN(TV) 98.5FM(Radio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love the jersey line-up, and the Rags have sure surprised me as they are the usual Rangers, pay all the money to get top line guys and then under-perform.

I can see the Bruins winning and Rask being the Vezina candidate that we all knew he was.

The Rangers have definitely underperformed as a whole. When the Devils have a ridiculous record when half the experts picked them to miss the playoffs and the Rangers are 6-5 you definitely underperformed HOWEVER. Last year we were 5-3-3 at this time. Meaning we had 1 point more than we do now. We finished at the top of the league after 48 games. Need I remind you some team wearing black and gold came off a cup winning season and was 3-7 after 10 and 4-7 after the same 11 games played that we played this season? Finished 2nd in the east and was 2nd in the east after 48 games (hell was 1st in the league at one point earlier I believe).

Here's the problem, this Rangers team has not been the same team all season. Last time we played we stacked our top line (actually one of 2 games that worked well), had Boyle as our 3rd line center (he provides no offense, we had 2 4th lines), had useless slow as **** Mike Rupp, probably had Stu Bickel in the lineup. In one or two games due to injuries we iced a 3rd line that had Rupp-Boyle-Asham on it. That 3rd line is worse than our 4th line now. We now broke up the top line (which actually didn't work in the first game against you guys, but I think it's unfair to base anything on that because you guys had a lot less turnover than us and were more ready to start the season) and have JT Miller on the 3rd line. Now JT Miller is not Jordan Staal, but he's a talented highly touted prospect that has good offensive skill and plays a 2 way game. The difference between Boyle and him, is like the difference between Boyle and your average beer league player when it comes to offense. We also got rid of Rupp and now have Powe, who has been a very nice player for us. Our 4th line has looked good. It's early but we were a 1 line time the last time we played you guys (and actually had a good game) and now we have 3 lines that have the ability to score and our 4th line provides great hustle, forecheck, and energy (hell Asham scored last game). On defense Gilroy who has sucked his whole career is actually playing well as a #6. Stralman who people that don't watch the Rangers think he's a weak link has played great. Our top 4 is still the top 4. Frankly, the Rangers remind me most of the Bruins in the east. Good depth everywhere and good goaltending. Now a lot of guys have underachieved. Richards has been decent but not what you'd expect from him. Stepan has been mediocre. Though his line played very well last game. I think his points will come as he's playing with one of the big 3.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, small sample size an against mediocre Ds, but with this lineup the Rangers look like more of a skating puck possession team and less of a get pinned in your own zone shot blocking team. If they keep it up, they'll be a lot less boring to watch.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Get the 2 points tonight then I'll be able to breath a sigh of relief..No Hank and no rags for a while

No non-stop shots of Torts behind the bench either, THAT alone is enough reason to make me happy this is the last we see of them this year;)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
enhanced-buzz-22550-1298922779-18.jpg

I don't get it? :help:

It's an Alanis song, that's all I got.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
It was more for the cross-eyed bear part.

Yes. I only learned that those were not the actual words like 6 months ago.

I don't get it? :help:

It's an Alanis song, that's all I got.

The lyrics are "cross I bear that you gave to me"....cross-eyed bear makes way more sense.

Take a minute. Reflect. Your adolescence is likely altered forever.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The Rangers have definitely underperformed as a whole. When the Devils have a ridiculous record when half the experts picked them to miss the playoffs and the Rangers are 6-5 you definitely underperformed HOWEVER. Last year we were 5-3-3 at this time. Meaning we had 1 point more than we do now. We finished at the top of the league after 48 games. Need I remind you some team wearing black and gold came off a cup winning season and was 3-7 after 10 and 4-7 after the same 11 games played that we played this season? Finished 2nd in the east and was 2nd in the east after 48 games (hell was 1st in the league at one point earlier I believe).

Here's the problem, this Rangers team has not been the same team all season. Last time we played we stacked our top line (actually one of 2 games that worked well), had Boyle as our 3rd line center (he provides no offense, we had 2 4th lines), had useless slow as **** Mike Rupp, probably had Stu Bickel in the lineup. In one or two games due to injuries we iced a 3rd line that had Rupp-Boyle-Asham on it. That 3rd line is worse than our 4th line now. We now broke up the top line (which actually didn't work in the first game against you guys, but I think it's unfair to base anything on that because you guys had a lot less turnover than us and were more ready to start the season) and have JT Miller on the 3rd line. Now JT Miller is not Jordan Staal, but he's a talented highly touted prospect that has good offensive skill and plays a 2 way game. The difference between Boyle and him, is like the difference between Boyle and your average beer league player when it comes to offense. We also got rid of Rupp and now have Powe, who has been a very nice player for us. Our 4th line has looked good. It's early but we were a 1 line time the last time we played you guys (and actually had a good game) and now we have 3 lines that have the ability to score and our 4th line provides great hustle, forecheck, and energy (hell Asham scored last game). On defense Gilroy who has sucked his whole career is actually playing well as a #6. Stralman who people that don't watch the Rangers think he's a weak link has played great. Our top 4 is still the top 4. Frankly, the Rangers remind me most of the Bruins in the east. Good depth everywhere and good goaltending. Now a lot of guys have underachieved. Richards has been decent but not what you'd expect from him. Stepan has been mediocre. Though his line played very well last game. I think his points will come as he's playing with one of the big 3.

Good breakdown except for the most important player on your team...How has Hank looked in the early going? In just 2 games to start the season against us he didn't look invincible, and you know what? That's half the battle against that guy. I was totally prepared for starting the season 1-2 because of those games and was tickled pink when we got 3 out 4 points against you guys.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Good breakdown except for the most important player on your team...How has Hank looked in the early going? In just 2 games to start the season against us he didn't look invincible, and you know what? That's half the battle against that guy. I was totally prepared for starting the season 1-2 because of those games and was tickled pink when we got 3 out 4 points against you guys.

Yep, I forgot to mention him. I was going to do it. First 3 games he gave up 3 to you guys twice and 4 in like half a game to the Pens. His GAA was well north of 3 GAA. I saw a stat that surprised me and made me smile. In the 7 games since then, he has given up 1.83 (or something like that) GAA for a .927 Save %. He's been playing well. He hasn't always been perfect. He got outplayed pretty badly by Brodeur against the Devils. Most people believe we outplayed them, but their good chances ended up in our net and our good chances were amazing saves by Brodeur. That and the game against Pittsburgh who own the Rangers and him were the only 2 games in the last 7 (since playing you guys) where he has given up more than 2 goals in a game. No shutouts yet. The team has a quota of one bad breakdown per game insuring at least 1 goal against, it's infuriating.

Last edited:

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Yep, I forgot to mention him. I was going to do it. First 3 games he gave up 3 to you guys twice and 4 in like half a game to the Pens. His GAA was well north of 3 GAA. I saw a stat that surprised me and made me smile. In the 7 games since then, he has given up 1.83 (or something like that) GAA for a .927 Save %. He's been playing well. He hasn't always been perfect. He got outplayed pretty badly by Brodeur against the Devils. Most people believe we outplayed them, but their good chances ended up in our net and our good chances were amazing saves by Brodeur. That and the game against Pittsburgh who own the Rangers and him were the only 2 games in the last 7 (since playing you guys) where he has given up more than 2 goals in a game. No shutouts yet. The team has a quota of one bad breakdown per game insuring at least 1 goal against, it's infuriating.

hmmm, sounds a bit inconsistent, which isn't like ole Hank at all. So my main question, which i should have just stated outright, is he nursing any nagging injuries that you know about?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes. I only learned that those were not the actual words like 6 months ago.

The lyrics are "cross I bear that you gave to me"....cross-eyed bear makes way more sense.

Take a minute. Reflect. Your adolescence is likely altered forever.

I feel like my whole life is a lie :amazed: I need to lay down, this is all too much.

You're such a white old man chuck

I'm certainly getting there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
hmmm, sounds a bit inconsistent, which isn't like ole Hank at all. So my main question, which i should have just stated outright, is he nursing any nagging injuries that you know about?

Don't think so. He didn't play during the lockout. Hank, quite frankly goes through these stretches. Last year, he didn't have 1 game as bad as the Pens game but March-April (April before the playoffs) he was mediocre to bad. Also, I think 1.87 (said it was 1.83, but on second thought I think it was 1.87) in the last 7 sounds like a good streak of consistency to me. As I said he got outplayed by Brodeur, but he wasn't awful, just average by his standards and Brodeur was playing like he was 25.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don't think so. He didn't play during the lockout. Hank, quite frankly goes through these stretches. Last year, he didn't have 1 game as bad as the Pens game but March-April (April before the playoffs) he was mediocre to bad. Also, I think 1.87 (said it was 1.83, but on second thought I think it was 1.87) in the last 7 sounds like a good streak of consistency to me. As I said he got outplayed by Brodeur, but he wasn't awful, just average by his standards and Brodeur was playing like he was 25.

In truth though, the majority of NHL goalies would love to have games like Hank does when he`s in one of those "stretches".

World class goalie, seems like he`s an exceptionally decent guy off the ice too

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

He started off somewhat poorly, but has regained form. He hasn't been inconsistent, he just took a few games to get his game back.

His being "outplayed" by Brodeur had more to do with Brodeur playing ridiculous that game, the goals Hank gave up were the result of awful turnovers / terrible defensive play. I don't blame him for goals let up when our defense leaves an opposing player undefended in the slot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In truth though, the majority of NHL goalies would love to have games like Hank does when he`s in one of those "stretches".

World class goalie, seems like he`s an exceptionally decent guy off the ice too

I also thought he had a good game in game 1 against you guys. That save he made should have been a goal but it was close enough for it to be inconclusive. That save was perhaps the best of his career. Better than the one he had on Savard a few years ago. You guys completely dominated and 3-1 was a very flattering score.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
He started off somewhat poorly, but has regained form. He hasn't been inconsistent, he just took a few games to get his game back.

His being "outplayed" by Brodeur had more to do with Brodeur playing ridiculous that game, the goals Hank gave up were the result of awful turnovers / terrible defensive play. I don't blame him for goals let up when our defense leaves an opposing player undefended in the slot.

i understand. That's why i like asking fans of other teams to give an actual breakdown because just looking up stats only shows me the end result, and not how that result came about. Good info by you and snowblind.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Go :bee:'s! Beat those Rags!

And of course, to all those in attendance - our PP sux! deal with it. Do NOT boo our PP!

Actually, their PP blows more than ours, so you all may even be treated to a shorty. :banana:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
7:30 start...another 30 minutes to drink cheap beer.

I'm bummed that this is the last Rangers game already. Unlike most here it seems, I actually like playing the Rangers...they have some good players on that team and it's fun to watch them IMO.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Go :bee:'s! Beat those Rags!

And of course, to all those in attendance - our PP sux! deal with it. Do NOT boo our PP!

Actually, their PP blows more than ours, so you all may even be treated to a shorty. :banana:

O, my. Bossing the fans around now, ah? Quit telling us what to do!!

By the by, I wholeheartedly disagree. If the powerplay stinks, rain it down on ´em. If the coaches can´t get into their brains and sticks, maybe the fans can.

I´ll probably miss this one. Go get ´em, boys.

LET´S GO BRUINS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad