Pre-Game Talk: Boston Bruins @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Sat, Nov 5th, 7pm EST

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It'd be huge for confidence if Leafs could put up a bunch on them.

Definitely thought Boston was going to regress a lot this year. So far they're doing their thing like usual. Have to give credit where it's due even though I f***ing hate that team.

Krejci and Bergeron continue to defy age. Pasta is great. He's the one guy I'd take on my team anyday. Still hate Marchand.

Ullmark has been good too. Hopefully Leafs can stop that.
I hate marchand but if he was in my team id literally die for that guy. he's one of those player you just despise but if hes on your team you'd take a bullet for that guy.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Simmonds finna talk our way out of it tomorrow :clap: He can fight, skate for 5min playtime, still score, while talkin. Our other players is not talking enough. That's why they call simmonds's telephone at times. Not always, but at times. He will hit people 2-3 times also tomorrow. Against the bruins. Other bruins might get injured or hurt. Because of him. That's why we are more dangerous now, as are they.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think most people are not worked up that he didn't fight. Obviously, no one wants him to break a figure or something stupid during a fight.

The issue is that he instigated a scuffle and needed his teammates to do his dirty work. On top of that, he had his usual pompous smirk while everyone else had to get into it.

If a player is not prepared to drop the gloves, they should not be instigating, retaliating, or playing as if they would. How can Matthews ever be a captain when he pulls wheezily shit like this.

Despite not winning in forever in Toronto, we have been blessed with a handful of players who bleed the blue and the white. The problem with Matthews and Marner specifically is that the crest doesn't seem to matter to them. Sure Marner is from Toronto and talks a big game but compared to Dougie, Clark, Sundin, these two are little punks. Skill without heart gets you bounced from the playoffs in the first round each year.

I dont think this is a GM or coaching issue. A coach and GM can only do so much. At the end of the day the culture is driven by the players and if the stars on the team set a shit example, how can you expect the others to follow. This is why Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Ovy, Mackinnon, etc are so successful. They are without question the hardest working guys on the ice and they rally the troops. Not just with sound bites to the media but by action.

I know it would never happen but imagine if the the Leafs put their foot down and traded Matthews and Marner. Depending on the return, it might put us into a rebuild/retool but I think a team built around Reilly and Nylander with the returns from Matthews/Marner might make us better long term even though we would almost certainly be giving up the best players in the trades.
I've seen konecky since his 67's days there is no way in hell did he not do something to piss of matthews. its his job and that's what he does in general so it's not on Matthews.

Not to mention Matthews if he is able to bring a smirk and draw penalties while not fighting is beneficial for us not the opposite, as we are a powerplay strong team (well not as great as previously but still) On top his player skill set and the reason he is valuable to us is by scoring goals and producing points not fighting. There are people who are capable of doing that and or both, matthews shouldnt do that even if he does have the capabilities because if he injuries his wrist (which he has a history of being hurt in the past) for a 5 minute scuffle, while we lose him for over several games. Our scoring and point production takes a hit, not to mention it hasn't been in a groove, so it would be even worse if we lose him and the momentum.

I think the issue that is going on with your second paragraph and I was an avid leaf fan during sundins latter half of his career in Toronto, is the game has changed and evolved very differently. I am not doubting we have failed quite a bit of late, however, skill is there, heart or the grit to get over the hump that's been missing fo sure but that doesn't mean you injure yourself for a 5-minute glory session with potentially screwing our chances.

This conversation shouldnt even go here for a fight he turned down tbh, this goes else where lol. Playing with unknown variables versus known variables has a different story and we shall never know ! All we can do is hope for the best.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
They are salty. He had no reason to fight and did the right thing tbh

Rupp was on Kyper & Bourne saying that he 'started' the altercation. Konecny was taking runs at Matthews from above the hash marks to the net-front. Happy Matthews got a bit greasy with that pest. Rupp also said that Matthews "didn't take a man." He did, the guy who was mimicking his posture/stance next to the scrum :).

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Rupp was on Kyper & Bourne saying that he 'started' the altercation. Konecny was taking runs at Matthews from above the hash marks to the net-front. Happy Matthews got a bit greasy with that pest. Rupp also said that Matthews "didn't take a man." He did, the guy who was mimicking his posture/stance next to the scrum :).
Yea I dont know whats going on and that was like classic koncecny man like he was a shit talker and maker in the OHL as well. So...it's wild they are making this such a big deal lmao

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I hate marchand but if he was in my team id literally die for that guy. he's one of those player you just despise but if hes on your team you'd take a bullet for that guy.
I hate to say it but probably true. Thing is I still think he takes it too far sometimes. He's had a few odd incidents.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I hate to say it but probably true. Thing is I still think he takes it too far sometimes. He's had a few odd incidents.
I think thats just how and who he is tbh or in general any one who is like that. It was liek that with Gallagher too from his dub days also why I wanted him bad before he was joining the habs lmao.

Reactions: Burnie97

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Rupp is a dumbass who has nothing better to do, so he pulls this shit to stay relevant. Konecny was being a bitch the entire game, he took a run at Brodie and got salty the Flyers got their asses handed to them and Matthews was still trying to score. Konecny started it the entire way and got so emotionally unstable over the ass whooping his team was getting, he tried to fight Matthews twice in a 5-2 game that has a minute to go.

"Matthews didn't take a man in the scrum at the end of the game when his teams winning 5-2"

All these old ex-enforcerers are about as stupid as they look.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
No idea how he constantly gets a pass.

Really? No idea? On a team where "accountability" means a player benched for a single shift is weakly disguised by the coach as getting a bottom 6er an extra minute of ice time?

I have lots of ideas: It's the culture of the team that has clearly been set from upper management right down to the coaching staff.

(Also, with Liljegren out there really isn't another option on the right side if you sit Holl for a game. But I like my first interpretation better.)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs

Timothy Liljegren will make his season debut for the Maple Leafs against the Boston Bruins on Saturday (7 p.m. ET; NHLN, CBC, SN360, NESN, SN NOW).

General manager Kyle Dubas announced Sept. 21 that the defenseman had sports hernia surgery and that he was expected to be out six weeks.

Liljegren, who skated with Morgan Rielly at practice Friday, had 23 points (five goals, 18 assists) in 61 games last season.

"The body feels good, so I'm excited to be back in full training," Liljegren said. "It should be fun. I think [Rielly and I] played a couple times [together] last year as well. Obviously [he is] a very good defenseman, so I'm just going to try to support him as much as I can."

"I was very happy with how my season went last year. I think I took steps throughout the season."

Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said Liljegren's absence in the early part of the season was felt by the Maple Leafs.

"I'm just hoping for Liljegren to go out there and be himself," Keefe said. "He was in a real nice groove for us through the tail end of the regular season for us last year and had become an important member of our team both at 5-on-5 and penalty kill, so it's been tough not having him through camp and the early part of the season."

Forward Wayne Simmonds was recalled from Toronto of the American Hockey League on Friday and played right wing on a line with center Pierre Engvall and left wing Calle Jarnkrok at practice.

Simmonds has one assist in three NHL games this season. -- Dave McCarthy

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Really? No idea? On a team where "accountability" means a player benched for a single shift is weakly disguised by the coach as getting a bottom 6er an extra minute of ice time?

I have lots of ideas: It's the culture of the team that has clearly been set from upper management right down to the coaching staff.

(Also, with Liljegren out there really isn't another option on the right side if you sit Holl for a game. But I like my first interpretation better.)
Fair enough but they don't have too many options I guess which is sad on the right . I'd like to see some Marlie D given a shot. Very glad Lilly is back.
So did Tucker. I agree with you both, I'd take Marchand on the team in a heartbeat,
Maybe Tucker did but still don't think quite like the rat. Either way a guy like him would add a lot as much as you hate it.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think most people are not worked up that he didn't fight. Obviously, no one wants him to break a figure or something stupid during a fight.

The issue is that he instigated a scuffle and needed his teammates to do his dirty work. On top of that, he had his usual pompous smirk while everyone else had to get into it.

If a player is not prepared to drop the gloves, they should not be instigating, retaliating, or playing as if they would. How can Matthews ever be a captain when he pulls wheezily shit like this.

Despite not winning in forever in Toronto, we have been blessed with a handful of players who bleed the blue and the white. The problem with Matthews and Marner specifically is that the crest doesn't seem to matter to them. Sure Marner is from Toronto and talks a big game but compared to Dougie, Clark, Sundin, these two are little punks. Skill without heart gets you bounced from the playoffs in the first round each year.

I dont think this is a GM or coaching issue. A coach and GM can only do so much. At the end of the day the culture is driven by the players and if the stars on the team set a shit example, how can you expect the others to follow. This is why Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Ovy, Mackinnon, etc are so successful. They are without question the hardest working guys on the ice and they rally the troops. Not just with sound bites to the media but by action.

I know it would never happen but imagine if the the Leafs put their foot down and traded Matthews and Marner. Depending on the return, it might put us into a rebuild/retool but I think a team built around Reilly and Nylander with the returns from Matthews/Marner might make us better long term even though we would almost certainly be giving up the best players in the trades.
Disagree

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Then play a good game Holl because not many think your game is good lately.

He really must have something on the management or coaches. No idea how he constantly gets a pass.

hey marner may be f***ing show some love and respect to the people that are buying the "inflated" ticket prices to come watch you guys play.

keep your attitude towards the suites not the average torontonian. if you think you are better then you can f*** right off

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
[/QUOTE]
hey marner may be f***ing show some love and respect to the people that are buying the "inflated" ticket prices to come watch you guys play.

keep your attitude towards the suites not the average torontonian. if you think you are better then you can f*** right off
What did he do to the average Trontonian? If he thinks he is better than whom?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad