Pre-Game Talk: Boston Bruins @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Sat, Nov 5th, 7pm EST

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I think most people are not worked up that he didn't fight. Obviously, no one wants him to break a figure or something stupid during a fight.

The issue is that he instigated a scuffle and needed his teammates to do his dirty work. On top of that, he had his usual pompous smirk while everyone else had to get into it.

If a player is not prepared to drop the gloves, they should not be instigating, retaliating, or playing as if they would. How can Matthews ever be a captain when he pulls wheezily shit like this.

Despite not winning in forever in Toronto, we have been blessed with a handful of players who bleed the blue and the white. The problem with Matthews and Marner specifically is that the crest doesn't seem to matter to them. Sure Marner is from Toronto and talks a big game but compared to Dougie, Clark, Sundin, these two are little punks. Skill without heart gets you bounced from the playoffs in the first round each year.

I dont think this is a GM or coaching issue. A coach and GM can only do so much. At the end of the day the culture is driven by the players and if the stars on the team set a shit example, how can you expect the others to follow. This is why Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Ovy, Mackinnon, etc are so successful. They are without question the hardest working guys on the ice and they rally the troops. Not just with sound bites to the media but by action.

I know it would never happen but imagine if the the Leafs put their foot down and traded Matthews and Marner. Depending on the return, it might put us into a rebuild/retool but I think a team built around Reilly and Nylander with the returns from Matthews/Marner might make us better long term even though we would almost certainly be giving up the best players in the trades.
Sees an atrocious post. Sees 2022 and 15 posts. Makes sense

Welcome aboard

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
hey marner may be f***ing show some love and respect to the people that are buying the "inflated" ticket prices to come watch you guys play.

keep your attitude towards the suites not the average torontonian. if you think you are better then you can f*** right off
Like Marner for what he does on the ice ... and it still needs to be better... but he's not to in touch with the average person and the reality of life probably. A lot of these guys don't remember privilege.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
The media narrative that the Flyers were going after Matthews was also a bit of an exaggeration. Only Konecny went after Matthews. No other Flyer went after Matthews in that little bruhaha, that's how that retired 4th liner could whine about Matthews not engaging enough during the melee.

it was all a nothing burger with extra cheese.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Well I'd love a tucker or a roberts on the team right now that's forsure.

Having one of those two guys makes everyone else play with a bit more sandpaper. We'd be the most hated team in the league against which translates into -- they're doing something right. Honestly, I think a guy like Simmonds 5 years ago is exactly what we need.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Win this and I will forgive you for the shitty play you have subjected me to the last 2+ weeks

Having one of those two guys makes everyone else play with a bit more sandpaper. We'd be the most hated team in the league against which translates into -- they're doing something right. Honestly, I think a guy like Simmonds 5 years ago is exactly what we need.
I agree. We're missing that element. Bunting is a piece that can add to it but isn't a main piece

We need a prime Simmonds or a prime Lucic
Right now I'd love to have a guy like Dubois on the team

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Not the easiest but Leafs should be making a trade for a guy like that. On the cheap probably.... no one there though.

Maybe Knies eventually

Reactions: Mr_Fun

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Probably about as big a game as you can get in early November.

/and I'm not being facetious.
The start of this season has been a bit of a bore relatively speaking, lots of bad opponents + an awful Leafs team

This is a big one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad