Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins @ Philadelphia Flyers Part II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Believe me, I don't want him back in the lineup. I just can't help but to wonder when was the last time the Bruins played well and it was about that time period. We just needed a tweak on the 3rd line and everything else was suppose to be better.
Now we only really have one legitimate line in the Bergeron line.

Chia took a risk IMO, and it backfired.

I believe (with absolutely no proof) that he signed Bourque with the hopes that he would create an internal competition between he, Caron and Knight when Camp opened. What he didn`t or couldn`t have predicted is that both Knight and Caron would both be having injury issues, then he had no options, it was Bourque or Pandalfo.

Loved both Bourque and Panda`s effort, but both can`t play NHL hockey. Pandalfo is, at best, a marginal depth 4th line guy and Bourque has no NHL game.

Pouliot took some ill timed penalties (funny, he was hammered for it here but there`s plenty of B`s I`ve watched take the same kind) but one thing he was is a big body, who was always willing to go into those corners, and more often than not, he jarred that puck loose for a Pevs/Kelly to swoop in and collect. For a million buckaroo`s?? He was AOK in my books

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They started sucking when the schedule got crammed with more games.
I believe it was around that blown 2-0 lead to pitt.
I said after that game they would be lucky to play. 500 hockey the rest of the season.
They are one game below. 500 since.

They started playing inconsistent hockey the moment the horn sounded ending 60 minutes of play in what was, IMO, the best 60 minute effort of this season

Game 1 against the Rangers

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
They started sucking when the schedule got crammed with more games.
I believe it was around that blown 2-0 lead to pitt.
I said after that game they would be lucky to play. 500 hockey the rest of the season.
They are one game below. 500 since.

Crammed games is an excuse,although in this case legitimate.

How are they going to fare in a much more intense playoff run?
I do not think they can turn up the intensity and that is the scary part.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Crammed games is an excuse,although in this case legitimate.

How are they going to fare in a much more intense playoff run?
I do not think they can turn up the intensity and that is the scary part.

I think this team with ramp up the intensity, problem will be, and some will say the ole "no excuse", they will have gone through a 6 game in 9 day stretch of pretty meaningful games, and THAT, is the issue, fatigue could play a big role.

If this team had of already been in a secure spot as far as Division champs, CJ could have been dressing alot of spare parts, instead, he`s forced to sit one guy at a time as games still have an impact on the standings.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
Chia took a risk IMO, and it backfired.

I believe (with absolutely no proof) that he signed Bourque with the hopes that he would create an internal competition between he, Caron and Knight when Camp opened. What he didn`t or couldn`t have predicted is that both Knight and Caron would both be having injury issues, then he had no options, it was Bourque or Pandalfo.

Loved both Bourque and Panda`s effort, but both can`t play NHL hockey. Pandalfo is, at best, a marginal depth 4th line guy and Bourque has no NHL game.

Pouliot took some ill timed penalties (funny, he was hammered for it here but there`s plenty of B`s I`ve watched take the same kind) but one thing he was is a big body, who was always willing to go into those corners, and more often than not, he jarred that puck loose for a Pevs/Kelly to swoop in and collect. For a million buckaroo`s?? He was AOK in my books

Both Pouliot and Ryder should of been on this team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Both Pouliot and Ryder should of been on this team.

:shakehead

No issues with Pouliot, these boards, before the Cup win, did nothing short of hammer Chia and Ryder for 2 straight years about Ryders complete in season MIA act, he has a good playoff run, makes "the save", goes to Dallas and puts the puck in the net and fans here clamor for him

I liked Pouliot a ton, and although I can understand Chia`s approach, I would have liked to have seen him aquire/sign a bigger body with NHL experience to, at the very least, be able to fill that role, he didn`t, and it`s hurt this team.

Truth is, THE biggest problem has nothing to do with the 3rd line, it`s the Krejci line, absolute garbage, slow, and no production, the 3rd line production is a direct result of previously having 2 lines who opponents HAD to focus attentions on, leaving that 3rd line playing up against weaker competition, now, only 1 line going, easy pickings for opponents, truly amazing the Bergy line has done what it`s done in lieu of opponents only having to focus on 1 line

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Believe me, I don't want him back in the lineup. I just can't help but to wonder when was the last time the Bruins played well and it was about that time period. We just needed a tweak on the 3rd line and everything else was suppose to be better.
Now we only really have one legitimate line in the Bergeron line.

I don't think they were playing well then either-they were mostly just as inconsistent but managing to win. Right now they are inconsistent and losing. I can maybe think of two games where the team put in a full 60 minute effort.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
I don't think they were playing well then either-they were mostly just as inconsistent but managing to win. Right now they are inconsistent and losing. I can maybe think of two games where the team put in a full 60 minute effort.

which two, were they quality opponents?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Sloppy, sloppy uninspired game. Not sure if this is the real team or they just waiting for the playoffs. Guess we'll see soon enough. Krejci gave away the 1st goal, Marchand had two give aways and missed picking up his guy on the 2nd goal, and Khudobin & Chara combined on a major brain fart on the 3rd. After that I watched celebrity apprentice with my wife :help:. Jagr was the best player, Bergeron was good, and Redden was better than I thought he would be. Hope they turn it up in the post season.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
which two, were they quality opponents?

I know one was the first game of the season and the other I no longer remember the opponent but I remember the khl line played well-although even that game if I recall started kind of flat.

But for the most part this has been a season where the team rarely plays a full 60 and most of the wins were due to luck or one or two players working hard than a full team effort.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
I know one was the first game of the season and the other I no longer remember the opponent but I remember the khl line played well-although even that game if I recall started kind of flat.

But for the most part this has been a season where the team rarely plays a full 60 and most of the wins were due to luck or one or two players working hard than a full team effort.

Yeah, the first game. Now that you mention it, it was impressive.

But hindsite has me realizing that what I thought was a quality opponent was getting pushed around regularly in the early going, hence not all that impressive.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
The Bruins have actually been pretty fortunate health wise especially compared with some other teams like the Senators and the Flyers.

Call it an excuse, whatever.. don't care.. but I'm thinking that the younger/fresher legs of AHL/OHL call ups can easily win out over exhausted skilled NHL players

I think there is a sense of comfort now that they clinched the playoffs. Even with the division still in play, I think most of these guys are holding out on putting it in that extra gear before the playoffs. Right or wrong, that's my thoughts on the subject.

I really think we'll see a different team in the first round in terms of effort and execution. At least I hope so.. could be a short post season otherwise

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
3rd line`s been a mess since day one with Pandalfo preceeded by Bourque, the 4th, when together has been just fine. When you only have one offensive line, and the next best threat is your #4 line....spells inconsistency

The last two games, the third line has probably been our best line overall, certainly yesterday. When Jagr and Söderberg played PP, things actually happened, and they were definitely the most defensively responsible (after the fourth line), as well as probably the most offensively productive (along with the first line, maybe) yesterday. They were punished with -2 in their +/- thanks to the Chara goal and the Redden one and all finished -1 when they should've been +1.

Edit: Kelly apparently finished -2, so he must've been on the ice for another goal, but again, I don't think either of those three players were even a little to blame for a goal, yet produced the only goal that wasn't an individual effort by DK.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yesterday, Pitt, Bos, Mtl, NYI and NYR all lost to teams out of the playoffs. Only team in the top-8 to win was Wsh, with Tor+Ott being inactive.

The Bruins played a bad game. Nothing was going right missing scoring chances, allowing bad goals at bad moments.

But look around the top-8:

-Mtl is being exposed as the frauds they are for the past 10+ games.
-NYR, who hasn't clinch yet, just lost to the worst team in the NHL.
-Ottawa, after being resilient through injuries all year long, shows signs of fatigue going 4-6-0 in their last 10.

Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto and NYI are riding high. Of these, only Toronto or NYI are possible 1st round matchups. And it would be a big upset if we lose to them.

Right now, 1st seed in NE would be fine. But give me 3 losses against no more injuries and I sign.

B's won the Cup 2 years ago with this lineup. They all know what needs to be done in the playoffs to win. They'll find their groove and get it done.

Bring on anyone.

A Healthy Kelly*

The Bruins have actually been pretty fortunate health wise especially compared with some other teams like the Senators and the Flyers.

Call it an excuse, whatever.. don't care.. but I'm thinking that the younger/fresher legs of AHL/OHL call ups can easily win out over exhausted skilled NHL players

I think there is a sense of comfort now that they clinched the playoffs. Even with the division still in play, I think most of these guys are holding out on putting it in that extra gear before the playoffs. Right or wrong, that's my thoughts on the subject.

I really think we'll see a different team in the first round in terms of effort and execution. At least I hope so.. could be a short post season otherwise

Very fortunate. Only the Ducks, Stars, and Hawks have less man-games lost than the Bruins.

I disagree. I don't think it's contentment, I think it's uncertainty. I think the entire roster is uncertain of their ability to perform at this point. I'm not saying you're absolutely wrong, obviously I'm not down there with the team, but my two cents is that they've put forth a legitimate effort on a number of occasions where it seemed to us as fans that they weren't, and were outright beaten. I think it's a loss of confidence, realizing that these teams in the east know how to beat them now and can do it pretty consistently. Where in the past two seasons they entered games knowing this "system" could be something to lean on and in a way bail them out of individuals not performing, they don't have that confidence in it anymore and it's showing. They're trying to play outside of the box Claude's put them in and they can't.

I really hope you're right. Maybe playoff intensity is the collective wake-up call this team needs.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
The last two games, the third line has probably been our best line overall, certainly yesterday. When Jagr and Söderberg played PP, things actually happened, and they were definitely the most defensively responsible (after the fourth line), as well as probably the most offensively productive (along with the first line, maybe) yesterday. They were punished with -2 in their +/- thanks to the Chara goal and the Redden one and all finished -1 when they should've been +1.

Edit: Kelly apparently finished -2, so he must've been on the ice for another goal, but again, I don't think either of those three players were even a little to blame for a goal, yet produced the only goal that wasn't an individual effort by DK.

The problem with this line of thinking is it assumes that the opposing goal wasn't a result of team effort; that it was the result of one or two players alone. That's a false rationalization. Yes, Chara directly sent the puck to the net and yes, Khudobin mishandled it thus allowing the goal. However, why did the puck end up where it did thus creating this opportunity? Was it because because of Chara and Khudobin, or was it because of the presence of those specific five guys on the ice which allowed the situation to develop as it did?

Just something to keep in mind.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think on one of the goals they had just started a line change and Kelly had barely hit the ice when he for the minus. Case in point of why plu/minus alone isn't always a good stat.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

I said a couple of weeks ago I thought the B's were pacing themselves for the playoffs. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.
It looks like some of the guys are tired and/or complacent, so if I was the Bruins coach I would rest some key players the next 2 or 3 games, and hope for a renewed HUNGER going into the playoffs...if that doesn't work, the B's will be golfing in May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad