Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins @ Philadelphia Flyers Part II

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
They're mentally toasted. The mistakes in coverage and general sloppy decision making have been the difference between winning and losing lately and are very much out of character with what makes them successful. Julien's scraping the bottom of the bag of tricks at this point.

One of the great things Recchi was able to bring to the team during the long Cup run was he showed them how to remain loose and relaxed off the ice, to keep having fun, so that they could maintain their focus on the ice as long as they did. Ultimately it was the difference as a much more talanted Vancouver team so clearly lost their steam and their series lead.

Hopefully there is a plan that is smarter than what I can think of (nothing) to right this ship.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
The problem with this line of thinking is it assumes that the opposing goal wasn't a result of team effort; that it was the result of one or two players alone. That's a false rationalization. Yes, Chara directly sent the puck to the net and yes, Khudobin mishandled it thus allowing the goal. However, why did the puck end up where it did thus creating this opportunity? Was it because because of Chara and Khudobin, or was it because of the presence of those specific five guys on the ice which allowed the situation to develop as it did?

Just something to keep in mind.

This is one reason why the Bruins not finishing their checks is so frustrating.

Finishing your checks on a consistent basis forces mistakes and turnovers.

Seems like everytime they do throw a hit, they get the puck back, but they turn away from finishing a check far too often.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They're mentally toasted. The mistakes in coverage and general sloppy decision making have been the difference between winning and losing lately and are very much out of character with what makes them successful. Julien's scraping the bottom of the bag of tricks at this point.

One of the great things Recchi was able to bring to the team during the long Cup run was he showed them how to remain loose and relaxed off the ice, to keep having fun, so that they could maintain their focus on the ice as long as they did. Ultimately it was the difference as a much more talanted Vancouver team so clearly lost their steam and their series lead.

Hopefully there is a plan that is smarter than what I can think of (nothing) to right this ship.

By all accounts Jagr brings that same element to the team this year. I've read several times that he's always smiling and joking with guys. I hope that starts to permeate through the team soon, but right now it looks like there is more wrong with the team than just an inability to stay loose.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
By all accounts Jagr brings that same element to the team this year. I've read several times that he's always smiling and joking with guys. I hope that starts to permeate through the team soon, but right now it looks like there is more wrong with the team than just an inability to stay loose.

Definitely, but Jagr's also just "sort of" with the team. Recchi had over two full seasons with the club before the Cup run. I don't know what kind of leadership a rental can really bring in.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
The problem with this line of thinking is it assumes that the opposing goal wasn't a result of team effort; that it was the result of one or two players alone. That's a false rationalization. Yes, Chara directly sent the puck to the net and yes, Khudobin mishandled it thus allowing the goal. However, why did the puck end up where it did thus creating this opportunity? Was it because because of Chara and Khudobin, or was it because of the presence of those specific five guys on the ice which allowed the situation to develop as it did?

Just something to keep in mind.

I know this, and I took it into account, watching the highlights of the goals. I don't see how Söderberg is to blame for losing a mid-rink post-goal faceoff, which the Philly player dumped to Chara who scored an own-goal from a situation that happens 50+ times in a game. It's not like Söderberg lost a faceoff in his own end on a Flyers 5 on 3 and then fell into Khudobin, or - more realistically and relevantly - turned the puck over à la Marchand and Krejci.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
Definitely, but Jagr's also just "sort of" with the team. Recchi had over two full seasons with the club before the Cup run. I don't know what kind of leadership a rental can really bring in.

we need to stop thinking of Jagr as a rental, hopefully Chia does the smart thing and signs him for next year too

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
we need to stop thinking of Jagr as a rental, hopefully Chia does the smart thing and signs him for next year too

It'd be great, but he was Chia's plan B. Lets hope Chia's warmed up to him and will open the purse strings- no reason to think Jagr would go to anyone but the highest bidder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad