Boston Bruins not a dark horse but a favorite for Stanley Cup

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I mean they have the 3rd most points in the NHL. I would say they are a contender but the only favorite is Tampa. That being said how often do Presidents Trophy teams with the Cup? The answer is not that often. Things happen in the playoffs. Injuries, weird match up upsets etc.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Those weren't excuses. Just facts. Tampa executed very poorly and did not play well despite Domingue being great throughout most of the game (minus that little 2 minute stretch where he gave up 3 goals). Boston played one of their better games and got all the bounces. It's a regular season game that's worth 2 points, that's it. Speaking of points, Boston still trails Tampa by 17 points in the standings in case you missed it.
I would not have expected the defensiveness from a fan of a team leading by 17 points.

No one is saying beating TB will be easy for any team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ugh I hate this thread existing.

Tampa is the clear favorite.

Since Boston got healthy, they have been the 2nd best team in hockey by record. actually not sure if that is true with STLs run. regardless, they started slow with an insane amount of injuries and now up to 3rd overall.

And then they added a couple of solid middle six guys to address their biggest holes.

It’s a painful path in the Atlantic and the Bruins might not even win a round, but they are absolutely contenders.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No excuses. Bruins were missing Pastrnak and Miller to injury as well.

Tampa's goalie was incredible.

I don't expect the playoffs to repeat last night by any means but Boston is a lot more equal to Tampa than last year or even two weeks ago.

Like I said, celebrate it if you want, but it was fairly obvious the Bolts were exhausted and not skating at all last night. I did not see anything that indicated it was Boston that was causing that.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Like I said, celebrate it if you want, but it was fairly obvious the Bolts were exhausted and not skating at all last night. I did not see anything that indicated it was Boston that was causing that.

Also if I recall, the Bruins beat SJ in OT on their 3rd game in four nights.

These players are professionals. Fatigue leads to error but they do not forget how to play hockey, as TB showed during the 3-4 dominant shifts of their own last night.

The Bruins are a top team. Not the top team that is TB.

It will be good when the NHL reverts to the 1-8 format.

Reactions: LordZapp

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I mean they have the 3rd most points in the NHL. I would say they are a contender but the only favorite is Tampa. That being said how often do Presidents Trophy teams with the Cup? The answer is not that often. Things happen in the playoffs. Injuries, weird match up upsets etc.

"Presidents' Trophy-winning teams reach the Stanley Cup Final -- and win it -- more than any other seed in the playoffs."

Myth of Presidents' Trophy Curse

I'll take those odds.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Also if I recall, the Bruins beat SJ in OT on their 3rd game in four nights.

These players are professionals. Fatigue leads to error but they do not forget how to play hockey, as TB showed during the 3-4 dominant shifts of their own last night.

The Bruins are a top team. Not the top team that is TB.

It will be good when the NHL reverts to the 1-8 format.

Boston has the motivation to fight through exhaustion.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Those weren't excuses. Just facts. Tampa executYOued very poorly and did not play well despite Domingue being great throughout most of the game (minus that little 2 minute stretch where he gave up 3 goals). Boston played one of their better games and got all the bounces. It's a regular season game that's worth 2 points, that's it. Speaking of points, Boston still trails Tampa by 17 points in the standings in case you missed it.
Enjoy your Presidents Trophy. Truly.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Depends what you mean as a "favorite"

I don't think it's crazy to call them the 2nd best team in the east (possibly with one or two others in a group), so in that sense they have a solid shot to make it to the finals and thus win, but if I was making odds right now I'd put them around 5th or 6th best odds to win the cup this year.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Anaheim beat the Bolts by multiple goals this year in Tampa Bay, and took them to OT in the other game. We are a favorite then too.

Not trying to be an ass, just illustrating the point that it's foolish to invest so much in a regular season game. I do agree Boston is a legit contender, but it's not because they beat Tampa Bay one night in February because Domingue and the TB defense unraveled to give up 3 in the final 8 minutes.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Depends what you mean as a "favorite"

I don't think it's crazy to call them the 2nd best team in the east (possibly with one or two others in a group), so in that sense they have a solid shot to make it to the finals and thus win, but if I was making odds right now I'd put them around 5th or 6th best odds to win the cup this year.

Thats totally fair. I do think the difference between the #2 and the #9 team is splitting hairs. It's Tampa. Then a group of very good teams.

I will say that against the good teams the Bruins have done well. Calgary (1-1-0), Nashville (1-1-0), SJ (2-0-0), NYI (2-0-0), TB (1-1-0), Tor (3-1-0), Vegas (2-0-0), WPG (0-0-1) and Washington (1-2-0) add up to 13-6-1. Thats like a 110 point pace.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I just... no. It's one game. They are not the favourite. They're a legit contender, and have been considered as such all season. Last night changes nothing.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Its crazy how many of them played for the team in 2011. There is a few lines worth of Stanley Cup winner experience and year after year they seem one of the favourites. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston grinded through to the finals.
Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Chara, and Rask are the only ones who were on the 2011 team, and Rask didn't play at all that run.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Win one game against the best team in the league and now you're the favorite? Other Bruins fans must be cringing while reading this thread.
:facepalm:

Reactions: Master P

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Facing Holtby in the playoffs is my worst nightmare as a B's fan. :laugh: Dude has been in our heads since the 2012 playoffs.

Haha yeah as a Caps fan I'd be like, "Sweet, Caps in 4." It would be so fitting though if the Caps/Bs met in the playoffs and Holtby went from being a brickwall for the past seven years against the Bruins to a sieve in that series.

I still think that series is 2012 was the most entertaining low-scoring playoff series I can remember.

Reactions: Prince Pasta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad