Confirmed with Link: Boston Bruins Acquire Ondrej Kase (RW) from ANA -- Backes On The Move!

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Elliott Friedman:

Of course, the Bruins weren’t alone in pursuit of Kase. Two other teams that showed real interest were Calgary and Carolina, according to sources.

That the Hurricanes got in there shouldn’t be a surprise given that Kase is the player they wanted from Anaheim in the failed Justin Faulk trade back in September. The Canes have liked Kase for a long time. My understanding is that they offered a second-round pick and a prospect for Kase. The Canes have two second-round picks in June, the Rangers’ and their own, so it would have been interesting to know which one they offered. A low first-round pick from Boston or the Rangers’ second-round pick (and no Backes contract) plus a prospect? But clearly Anaheim went the Boston route for a reason.
That the Flames inquired makes sense, too. Calgary has been after a top-six, right-shot option. Give Flames GM Brad Treliving credit. He’s trying. He also tried on right winger Tyler Toffoli and blueliner Brenden Dillon, among others so far over the past week. Calgary can use a boost both up front and on the blue line and Treliving is taking his swings.

Interesting tidbit.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
2 points in 13 career playoff games. 9 hits in 49 games this season. 7 goals in 49 games. 5.2% shooting pct this season. Been very injury prone, and is only 24. Not sure why I'm supposed to get overly excited about that for this season's playoffs, and yes I've seen Kase's highlight reels, have passed the litmus test of knowing how to pronounce his last name, and am aware of his fancy stats. I actually like the trade as a big picture thing, but am not going to get excited in terms of this year's playoffs unless DS makes a more substantive addition. Gambling with acquiring deadline players that have injury concerns (Nash, MoJo, now Kase) has been something DS has not been afraid to do, that's for certain. Hope this one works out and Kase is able to stay healthy. Again, I don't hate the trade itself, as it's a roll of the dice for both teams. Just think the Bs need a bigger add at RW for a legit Cup run. If that happens then DS will have put the Bs in a pretty good spot for a solid shot at the Cup.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
2 points in 13 career playoff games. 9 hits in 49 games this season. 7 goals in 49 games. 5.2% shooting pct this season. Been very injury prone, and is only 24. Not sure why I'm supposed to get overly excited about that for this season's playoffs, and yes I've seen Kase's highlight reels, have passed the litmus test of knowing how to pronounce his last name, and am aware of his fancy stats. I actually like the trade as a big picture thing, but am not going to get excited in terms of this year's playoffs unless DS makes a more substantive addition. Gambling with acquiring deadline players that have injury concerns (Nash, MoJo, now Kase) has been something DS has not been afraid to do, that's for certain. Hope this one works out and Kase is able to stay healthy. Again, I don't hate the trade itself, as it's a roll of the dice for both teams. Just think the Bs need a bigger add at RW for a legit Cup run. If that happens then DS will have put the Bs in a pretty good spot for a solid shot at the Cup.

I'm not too worried about the playoff performance. Just 13 games when he was 21/22. You're absolutely right that there are concerns about how much he can contribute this season, though there's evidence that he's been unlucky this year with his shooting %.

He's definitely more of a long-term play than a move purely for this year. The hope is that he can quickly develop good chemistry with his countryman, Krejci. If he can, I think they're in a good spot. I don't think it's a crazy idea that he could improve this year by playing on a better team. Anaheim has been a place where offense goes to die the past 3 years (29th in the league in goals for per game, Bruins have scored .64 more goals per game)

Best case scenario is that they're able to pull off another deal, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
I'm tellin' ya... Pasta-lite is what I immediately think of when i watch this kid. He just needs to stay healthy. There is some real concern there, especially with the playoffs looming.
Bruins’ Ondrej Kase Trade Reunites David Pastrnak With Czech Teammate

“Yeah, I know him, grew up playing on the national teams together,” Pastrnak said in a video posted by the Bruins from media availability Friday. “He’s a great kid, excited for him to join us and I think he’s a great player so it’s definitely going to be fun to have another Czech.”

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If a first rounder is the cost of dumping Backes' contract (as Marleau set the precedent for), then we can view the deal as Kase for Anderson, and there's a steal to end all steals. He's 24 and under control and we got him for a prospect who was blocked by about 10 other dmen in front of him.

Man, I love this trade.

I like the deal too, but remember the leafs offloaded $6.25M for that 1st rounder. The Bruins offloaded $4.5M. If they didn't get Kase back, they would have done a lot worse than Toronto on the trade.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like the deal too, but remember the leafs offloaded $6.25M for that 1st rounder. The Bruins offloaded $4.5M. If they didn't get Kase back, they would have done a lot worse than Toronto on the trade.

The placement of the 1st round pick might be big too. Bruins could very well be in the bottom of that round while the Toronto pick has a chance to be in the middle.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Leafs also were limited where to send him since he was basically being sent to just be bought out.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If this is the big deal, yea C+. Backes was Sweeney's contract and paid a heavy price to move it out. I do think Kase is decent return for the corner Sweeney backed himself into.
Then you’re grading the deadline as a whole. Not this deal. Four days before the deadline.

Absolutely brutal deadline for the Dallas Stars. No deals. F-

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If this is the big deal, yea C+. Backes was Sweeney's contract and paid a heavy price to move it out. I do think Kase is decent return for the corner Sweeney backed himself into.

You’ve got to be able to evaluate the deal as a singular thing though and not simply a result of Sweeney “backing himself into a corner”.

You aren’t wrong. It wasn’t a shining moment at at all for DS. But that happened. Years later, the team was saddled with a contract that strangled them within the restraints of the cap. Giving up a late 1st to shed that contract opening up some more room for the FA situation AND taking back a good young forward with upside is a hitting it out of the park IMO.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Interesting tidbit. 2014 nhl draft we have some solid talent from that draft through draft and trade. Pasta 1st round 2nd round donato who we flipped for Coyle. 4 th round heinen. 5th round bjork. Now 7th round kase through trade.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Agree, however, I think it’s hilarious that Sweeney stuffed Dubas in a locker, again, by getting not only actual actual value back, but filling a needed hole while offloading that contract. Pretty great stuff.
:laugh: Dubas looks like a guy who has been stuffed in his share of lockers.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You sure tho? The announcers are calling his name wrong for somereason. Should be Kashe not Kasha, but some Czech guys can correct me.

Anyway, Kaser is a good player - he has been his best with some muscle (Ritchie) on his line lo create some space. Great motor (that gets him injured some times) and pretty good skill. I really hope he will be a 20 goal guy for you and a pretty good chance he will. Enjoy

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
Sweeney did what had to be done with accurate market price and got Kase as an extra assett, which is positive. However Backes+1st for something should have been done in the beginning of the season.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad