Confirmed with Link: Boston Bruins Acquire Ondrej Kase (RW) from ANA -- Backes On The Move!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For those that remember, what was the knock on this guy in his draft year? 7th rounder but he is clearly much better than that, so why was he not rated higher by basically anyone in the NHL?

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
At the beginning of this year I remember picking up Kase in my fantasy league expecting him to break out. Didn't really happen obviously, but here's hoping it happens in Boston!

Also didn't realize he has played with Pasta in the past, nice bonus there

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Now that I think about it more.. Does Sweeney flip him in a move for Kreider?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
For those that remember, what was the knock on this guy in his draft year? 7th rounder but he is clearly much better than that, so why was he not rated higher by basically anyone in the NHL?

probably lack of exposure. I think he played in the Czech league

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Aaaaand this is why you’re not the GM of the Bruins (thankfully). Trade Krug? They are a legit top Cup contender - those teams never sell their pending UFAs.

Or hopefully not anywhere else where any sort of rational decisions need to be made

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
probably lack of exposure. I think he played in the Czech league

Well, ISS had him at 150, KcKeen's at 58, Future Considerations at 80, he played in the WJC at U20, U18, U17 levels. Just find it curious

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well, ISS had him at 150, KcKeen's at 58, Future Considerations at 80, he played in the WJC at U20, U18, U17 levels. Just find it curious

sheesh I guess it wasn’t a lack of exposure

that is strange. Maybe medical concerns?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
sheesh I guess it wasn’t a lack of exposure

that is strange. Maybe medical concerns?

Yeah, I am wondering that or maybe he was a late physical bloomer? I hope someone here remembers or some kindly soul from the Ducks board can pop over.

kjpm

May 28, 2011
Now that I think about it more.. Does Sweeney flip him in a move for Kreider?

Nah, the way Sweeney was highlighting his versatility, fit on the roster, shot generation etc. in his conference call makes me think Kase is his guy. I'd be very surprised if Kase isn't here to stay. I am curious to see if they try to get another pure rental to use up their remaining cap space for the year though.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I posted here bout a month ago Ducks be a team willing to take on Backes salary and mentioned Kase could be on the go.(Read it somewhere.) Numerous posts saying he is soft this and that.Now Bruins got him and same people acting like he is the 2nd coming of Gretzky. I view him as a third line guy and Bruins still having a hole on 2nd line .Just my opinion you can have yours.

Reactions: missingchicklet

kjpm

May 28, 2011
Yeah, I am wondering that or maybe he was a late physical bloomer? I hope someone here remembers or some kindly soul from the Ducks board can pop over.

This article from before the season sheds some light. He was apparently 165 lbs in his draft year and was struggling to put up points playing in the Czech league against men as a 17 year old. Makes sense that he wouldn't really be on the radar at that size.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Article from 2014: Ondrej Kase: 2014 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Looks like size and strength was really the only concern about him.

Article from 2015/16 (from 1-2 years after he was drafted): http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ondrej-kase/

Looks like there was still concern about his size at the time: 6'0" and only 165 lbs. He looks about 16 in the picture!

With the way the league has changed from 2014 to the present, I would imagine he would be a 2-3 round pick with his potential but back then there was still a lot of trepidation about smaller players.

EDIT: Funny to read the draft preview for David Pastrnak - same size and sounds familiar! https://thehockeywriters.com/david-pastrnak-the-next-ones-nhl-2014-draft-prospect-profile/

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If Backes wasn't traded, and he stayed in the minors next year, his cap hit would have been $4.975, right? If so, then with the 25% retention in the trade, they are effectively saving $3.425, not $4.5.

Wonder if they get the proportionate relief off the $1.5M hit if Anaheim sends him to the minors. Would shave off another $250k or so. That would be nice.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I didn’t bother reading much in here, I’ve been at my daughters hockey tourney in Brantford that Wayne Gretzky Dad holds every year but did want to say wait tell you see this guy play.

Injury problems aside this kid has skill ! Finally another right handed shot, GJ DON ! surprised the Ducks sold low on him.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Does anyone else find it ironic that a guy whose name in some European countries
means "porridge"......is going to a team of "bears"? And if he plays with a blond Bruin,
will it be Goldilocks, porridge and the three bears on the ice? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad