Pre-Game Talk: Boston at Pittsburgh|Wed.10-30-13|8:00PM (Another Winter Has the GDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
PENGUINS WEAR PURPLE JERSEYS FOR HOCKEY FIGHTS CANCER
The Pens wore purple and white jerseys at their morning skate on Oct. 27 to support the "Hockey Fights Cancer" initiative.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=24685

For those asking about the purple practice jerseys. I was trying to make the connection between cancer and purple, all I could come up with was the Ravens.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is it news to suggest Malkin is a high-maintenance superstar? He needs to be coddled. Cajoled. Kicked in the butt when the time is right.

Remember when Michel Therrien had that famous encounter with Malkin? Legend has it Therrien found a copy of the NHL's top 10 scoring list, showed it to Geno (who didn't speak any english at all at the time, not that Therrien ever has!), and then told him he needs to be on that list.

I just don't see anybody doing that with Geno today. I'm sure Bylsma's happy with Geno. Bylsma doesn't want greatness from his players...this much we've learned with time. Because when you demand greatness, sometimes you have the bench the mediocre, the average or even occasionally the good (in order to be great). You need to hold players more accountable.

Bylsma is satisfied with Geno's game right now, because he's 'doing the little things'. To me, doing the little things is a euphemism for 'you're no longer the man'.

Have Crosby and Malkin ever finished 1-2 in the scoring race? I don't think so. Oh sure, injuries to both have been a major cause but are they not healthy right now? Is there some lingering medical issue with either of them? Crosby, obviously not. Geno's knee maybe?

If there isn't, then somebody should get in his grill, show him the current NHL top 10 list (where the likes of Alexander Steen and Frans Nielsen currently reside!) and tell Geno that we expect him to be a LOT better than this.

Sure, it's possible that somebody in the organization is constantly telling him this. If THAT's the case, then we need to start worrying.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Could be worse. Could be the jerseys the Otters sometimes wear during the warmup:

BM_BsPsCIAE459R.png:large

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Is it news to suggest Malkin is a high-maintenance superstar? He needs to be coddled. Cajoled. Kicked in the butt when the time is right.

Remember when Michel Therrien had that famous encounter with Malkin? Legend has it Therrien found a copy of the NHL's top 10 scoring list, showed it to Geno (who didn't speak any english at all at the time, not that Therrien ever has!), and then told him he needs to be on that list.

I just don't see anybody doing that with Geno today. I'm sure Bylsma's happy with Geno. Bylsma doesn't want greatness from his players...this much we've learned with time. Because when you demand greatness, sometimes you have the bench the mediocre, the average or even occasionally the good (in order to be great). You need to hold players more accountable.

Bylsma is satisfied with Geno's game right now, because he's 'doing the little things'. To me, doing the little things is a euphemism for 'you're no longer the man'.

Have Crosby and Malkin ever finished 1-2 in the scoring race? I don't think so. Oh sure, injuries to both have been a major cause but are they not healthy right now? Is there some lingering medical issue with either of them? Crosby, obviously not. Geno's knee maybe?

If there isn't, then somebody should get in his grill, show him the current NHL top 10 list (where the likes of Alexander Steen and Frans Nielsen currently reside!) and tell Geno that we expect him to be a LOT better than this.

Sure, it's possible that somebody in the organization is constantly telling him this. If THAT's the case, then we need to start worrying.

That's yet another fairy tale sports story. Amazes me how many people fall for them.

A team makes an improbable comeback? Usually there's some sort of "Big Speech" story attached to it. Meanwhile, people forget how many of those same speeches are made and simply don't pan out.

Same thing with "Player's only" meetings. Wonderful story when the team starts playing well, but nobody reports on how 90% of those meetings don't actually work.

There are countless examples of coaches challenging players and the player just ends up being exactly what he was before being challenged. Sure, maybe Geno was inspired by Therrien's speech, but it was more than likely that it was just a simple case of Geno taking the reins knowing knowing that it was solely up to him once Sid sprained his ankle.

And let's not pretend he hasn't had moments of greatness and domination WITH Bylsma as head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad