Post-Game Talk: Boston 4, Leafs 3... Proud of This Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Phaneuf, as the Leafs captain, has to take the larger portion of the blame for the loss. Not just the last mistake but others along the way. His play on the PP wasn't anything to write home about ... unless we're talking fiction.

I think he has a decent tool-box, but he seems to take a little time finding the appropriate one in quick order.

He seems to lack desperation, perhaps he is like many other players this time of year, hiding an injury. No other explanation for the way he coasts back on the PP to retrieve a free puck. Perhaps he is saving energy, but if you are conserving energy while you are on the PP perhaps you should go to the bench and do that. Coasting doesn't put pressure on the PK, as they can merrily skate to the bench while you are lollygagging around picking up the rondelle.

Did he singlehandedly lose the game? No way.

I think special teams lost the game.

2 PP goals against
0 PP goals for

At least 1 of those PP goals was a bad call by the officials, as Grabovski having his stick smashed in front of the referees who decides to ignore the call (inept official) would have negated the Orr penalty.

I don't think officiating was bad, but making key errors in judgment should be reprimanded. The team had subsequent opportunities to make up for that on the 5-3 but the pathetic PP struck again.

We have to understand where the team is though. Rebuilding with a better looking future than past.

We can be a little critical of players we think should do better, and forgiving of players who we expect little of. So we demand more from the captain, more from the keeper, more from the Kessels and Lupuls. When they do well, we say it's their job, when they come up short we point that out. Sometimes we forget the good they do to focus on their shortcomings.

We should give them some praise, even in failure, but demand improvement going forward.

Next year, yes "next year" the Leafs' refrain, I expect greater things from this same group, although I expect to see additions to the defense, hopefully from within, and perhaps a more prepared forward group with Kadri and Frattin being greater contributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad