Post-Game Talk: Boston 4, Leafs 3... Proud of This Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Alright, now that I got some sleep and calmed down, let me tell you this: I'm still upset.

The better team is winning the series but they aren't completely out of reach if we play over our heads.

Figure out the D and make a decision on Riems and Scrivs and Bozak. Bozak was a dog in the snow out there

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Reimer is a great kid and has acquitted himself fairly well, but I just don't think he's capable of backstopping this team in the playoffs. There have been far too many soft goals conceded in this series, including the back breaking OT winner last night on Boston's only legitimate scoring chance of the extra session after we had dominated.

Despite our defensive miscues, the Leafs have still been the better team in 3 of the 4 games thus far, but Rask has outplayed Reimer by a significant margin, and that has been the difference. Goaltending is the most important wild card in the post season.

I think Nonis will acquire Luongo in the off season for 10 cents on the dollar, and we will be solidified in goal next season with a Luongo-Reimer tandem. Luongo was fantastic against the Sharks in his limited playing time.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Bs fan here. First, I have to say that it is a pleasure to see such a passionate fan base as Toronto. The pictures of the huge crowd outside makes me think of Euro soccer matches where people gather in the tens of thousands to celebrate the game. It really is great to see and I am so glad for Toronto fans and the city of Toronto.

Your team is very, very close to being a serious contender. I know, that stings. Trust me, as a Bs fan, I know what "bad defense" looks like, how much it hurts to have your team commit mental suicide on the ice, the not have clutch goaltending when your team needs it the most. There are A LOT of parralells between the 2012-2013 Leafs, and recent Bruins teams. We have been on the other side of an overtime loss like last night, many, many times. Sports depression is the only way to describe it.

Our fanbase has a lot of respect for the Leafs, and your talent up front is awesome. It seems as though you will have a lot to cheer about for some time to come and trust me, a 3-1 lead in a series is not the kiss of death. Your team is talented, tough, stick up for one another, won't be pushed around, and the fan base is so passionate. Those are some of the main ingredients for a winning team.

A loss tomorrow night to close out the series may certainly be one more block in the mental foundation of a future cup contender, but, again, the Bs are fully capable of laying an egg at home. Even still, if the Bs don't take advantage of a high percentage of their opportunities, Toronto is fully capable of blowing the doors out.

Again, much respect for you all and your team. Tough overtime loss at home, but it will interesting to see how your team reacts tomorrow night down here in Boston. I have a feeling they are not going down without a war.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Reimer is a great kid and has acquitted himself fairly well, but I just don't think he's capable of backstopping this team in the playoffs. There have been far too many soft goals conceded in this series, including the back breaking OT winner last night on Boston's only legitimate scoring chance of the extra session after we had dominated.

Despite our defensive miscues, the Leafs have still been the better team in 3 of the 4 games thus far, but Rask has outplayed Reimer by a significant margin, and that has been the difference. Goaltending is the most important wild card in the post season.

I think Nonis will acquire Luongo in the off season for 10 cents on the dollar, and we will be solidified in goal next season with a Luongo-Reimer tandem. Luongo was fantastic against the Sharks in his limited playing time.

We don't have enough complete D, we have D that are good at certain things but lack in other areas and it was exposed. They are the deeper team

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bs fan here. First, I have to say that it is a pleasure to see such a passionate fan base as Toronto. The pictures of the huge crowd outside makes me think of Euro soccer matches where people gather in the tens of thousands to celebrate the game. It really is great to see and I am so glad for Toronto fans and the city of Toronto.

Your team is very, very close to being a serious contender. I know, that stings. Trust me, as a Bs fan, I know what "bad defense" looks like, how much it hurts to have your team commit mental suicide on the ice, the not have clutch goaltending when your team needs it the most. There are A LOT of parralells between the 2012-2013 Leafs, and recent Bruins teams. We have been on the other side of an overtime loss like last night, many, many times. Sports depression is the only way to describe it.

Our fanbase has a lot of respect for the Leafs, and your talent up front is awesome. It seems as though you will have a lot to cheer about for some time to come and trust me, a 3-1 lead in a series is not the kiss of death. Your team is talented, tough, stick up for one another, won't be pushed around, and the fan base is so passionate. Those are some of the main ingredients for a winning team.

A loss tomorrow night to close out the series may certainly be one more block in the mental foundation of a future cup contender, but, again, the Bs are fully capable of laying an egg at home. Even still, if the Bs don't take advantage of a high percentage of their opportunities, Toronto is fully capable of blowing the doors out.

Again, much respect for you all and your team. Tough overtime loss at home, but it will interesting to see how your team reacts tomorrow night down here in Boston. I have a feeling they are not going down without a war.

Thanks for the classy post.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We don't have enough complete D, we have D that are good at certain things but lack in other areas and it was exposed. They are the deeper team

Our defence core definitely needs upgrades. My point is that despite that deficiency, we should still be tied in this series at the very least if it were not for sub par goaltending on several occasions.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need a top pairing defenseman and better depth more than they need a #1C.

Our offense can pile the goals. We need better defenseman in transition.

Jake Gardiner is going to step up mightily next year. Let's hope Morgan Rielly makes it out of camp. We desperately need smarter defenseman.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Thanks for the classy post.

+1 to that.

I think what this playoffs has done is earned the respect of other fan bases, seeing our team as one that is tough to beat, etc. I'm sure there were a majority of people that thought we'd be outplayed and swept in 4, and although we're on the verge of elimination, we've definitely been in almost every game except the first one.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
My hate towards the Bruins has diminished this series. No injuries are happening due to hateful play but rather fast paced hockey. Wouldn't mind facing them again sometime

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Okay is that Reimer's wife or his sister
And yea she is way hotter than Elisha IMO

Its his wife, and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I'm sure there is more to the hillarious stare then what the cameras are showing. Also his mom (who was also there) is exceptionally generous and kind and that whole family is top shelf. Great people overall for sure.

Edit: April said that she are Cuthbert were responsding to some other jerk and looking at each other in agreement not disgust

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The better team is winning the series but they aren't completely out of reach if we play over our heads.

Figure out the D and make a decision on Riems and Scrivs and Bozak. Bozak was a dog in the snow out there
:help: You never cease to amaze me.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I've slept on it and last night, I was just so impressed with the way they played I didn't want to predictably pile on anyone after such a hard fought loss last night. I'm still not going to pile on any one player but in defense of Phaneuf and Reimer who clearly played a big role on the OT goal last night, I just want to point out that ROB made a bad decision defending last night. Reimer had the right part of the net covered. Sure, Krejci found a hole where that puck trickled through but in such a situation, I don't understand why ROB didn't go down to block the shot and cover the passing lane in the process. It would have also bought some more time for Reimer and his teammate coming up the ice on the ice. I haven't seen the replay of the goal and frankly, I don't want to but the way ROB was trying to make that play with his stick, I immediately wondered if the puck slightly deflected off of ROB's stick.

I just don't think it's ever a good idea to try and use your stick to defend so close to your net.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

:shakehead If Reimer let in a goal like Macarthur scored people would be freaking out about it over here. The only thing that Rask has been doing better is not saving pucks that are going to hit the post. How many times have we hit the post this series, like 7 times?? If our defense core needs to work on anything it's not screening Reimer, the guy barely sees anything, and if he does it's a point blank passing play.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Getting real tired of all these fairweather fans saying "typical Leafs." Here's a rant I put on my Facebook, lol:

For all the "Leaf fans" coming out of the woodwork to say, "Typical Leafs" or ***** about how you always get your hopes up only to be let down - you can **** off. The team has been taking it hard to the Bruins for the past three games, a team that they had won once against in two years since 2010. This is a valuable learning experience for the 11 players on the team who are in the playoffs for the first time and they are all playing their hearts out. "Typical Leafs" would've rolled over after being demolished in Game 1 so this is not "typical." If you're so tired of these typical Leafs that let you down every year, please jump off the ****ing bandwagon. This team already has to deal with enough ********** in the media. I, for one, am extremely proud of the team and what they've done so far this post-season. Even if they get bounced out in 5, 6, or 7 games, they've shown they can hold their own against one of the toughest teams in the league and that's important going into a new season. But hey, ignore the silver linings (because unlike previous years, there ARE silver linings), this is just "typical Leafs," right?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oh good, so the guy who should have been covering him is now in the clear then. Definitely shouldn't have more expectations on the team captain than a bottom pairing guy.

This post just reeks of a lack of anything but a completely superficial understanding of hockey.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I thought they played very very well. It's unfortunate the pinch in overtime, I would have thought that Dion would have realized it was not the time in the game to try and lay someone out but rather play safe.

There were some great hits out there. Dion laid out some nice ones and although Kadri didn't have his offence going he had some monstrous checks out there.

I hope they go to Boston and win one there, I think they are capable of it and believe they got the short end of the stick here.

EDDIE20*

I thought it took four games to clinch a series.

I'll start worrying when we're in the third period and if we're down by a few goals. I'm still proud of this tea. They played some great hockey last night. Gotta give credit to Boston for the win. That said, the Leafs are no slouches either when they play a team game.

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
Habs fan coming in peace.

I've been really pleasantly surprised by this series. There has been no goon plays from either team and smart disciplined hockey for the most part.

Last night was a heartbreaker for TO, as they seemed to be the hungrier team in overtime. It truly was an exceptional game and Leaf fans should be proud of their team. The Bruins have proved themselves to be a resilient team and they find a way to win even when the chips are down. I guess that's why they were the Stanley Cup Champions two years ago.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
great game, haven't enjoyed a Leafs that much in a long while
Gardiner, Franson really impressed me
JVR has the chance to be really good too
and Lupul is great

Kadri definitely came around in OT but up until that point was thinking he might benefit from watching from the press box

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Phaneuf himself accepted his mistake. What more you want? Stop defending him when there isn't anything to.

The OP is correct. The goal was as much ROB's poor decision as it was Dion's. BUT....Dion did not throw ROB under the bus, and took the responsibility himself. That's what real leaders do.

It's a shame more people can't see this. For those interested, I would suggest reading some material written by John C. Maxwell on accountability and leadership.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Reimer is hardly to blame for these losses as he's pretty much been hung out to dry the whole series. I mean yes he's allowed a couple questionable goals but other than that and his rebounds (the only time it bit him in the ass was the first Bruins goal tonight), he's been solid and can only build on this.

Rask gave the Leafs a goal last game when he slid out to the face-off circle to take the draw while the play was still in process.

Reimer is also a NHL Playoffs rookie, along with most of the Leafs.

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
Karma.

For all those games the Leafs won this season when they were outplayed.

I swear we've outplayed Boston for about 90 of the last 130 minutes but still end up with two losses.

The big-big difference? Boston capitalizes on just about every second turnover we make. We didn't capitalize on **** and instead threw away our chances. Dear lord.. we should have scored when Boychuk needed to be helped off the ice, but nothing. Bleh.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
The big thing that I've seen is the team can't figure out what to do with the puck in their own zone. Consistently we dump it around the boards and no one's there to pick it up. This has been an issue all season but particularly in the last month - and it's reflected in the lopsided shot totals. From just last night, you could count on one hand the number of times that the Bruins dumped the puck in and we got it out on our first try.

In the 3rd and OT I thought this got better - we largely reverted to the quick, short passes to get out of the zone that worked so well for us at the beginning of the season. But overall the inability to get it out of our zone is by far our most glaring weakness as it results in turnovers and most of our goals against. Besides the OT goal, we didn't give up too many chances on the rush, it was mostly due to the Bruins cycling since we couldn't get the puck out.

The dump and chase style of play is the B's MO so it's not surprising they're good at it, but as I said, we've suffered from this issue for the back half of the season. It's the only way to explain how we can dominate play for large stretches of the game but get hemmed in once for a prolonged period and wind up losing.

That said, all part of the growing pains for a young team. Liles + Gards in for the next game should help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad