Confirmed with Link: [BOS->TOR->FLA] TOR Claim Seth Griffith| Nov 11: Leafs Waive Griffith, claimed by FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Management selects players like Griffith and Corrado but Babcock refuses to play them, even though they outperform other members on the team. It's Beane/Howe but for hockey. Management consistently picks the right guys and Babcock consistently refuses to listen.
The flaw with this logic is that management decides who to waive and who to keep etc.
Yes coach chooses who plays but management chooses who the coach has to choose from.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The flaw with this logic is that management decides who to waive and who to keep etc.
Yes coach chooses who plays but management chooses who the coach has to choose from.

Not so sure with this arrangement. And sometimes a coach can force management's hand

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Smith is a stop gap until Gauthier is ready. I have no issue waiving Griffith to make room for Leivo. I hope Leivo sticks this time, as he has big league potential.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Even if the guy scored 10 goals this year he wouldn't have been worth much more than a 4th or 5th round pick. He may be better than Smith, but that's not really saying much and I'm more than happy to give Leivo a shot in his place. Leivo has earned a real chance to play for this team.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
and keep guys like Smith, Hunwick, Polak and Marincin around?

Not sure what Seth Griffith has to do with Hunwick, Marincin or Polak?? Leafs were always going to roll with 8D. There's a lot less people in line for dman spots than offensive forward spots.

Smith brings a much different game than Griffith too. Griffith is no good on a 4th line and the Leaf are jammed on the top 3 lines. I rather have brought up a Leipsic ora Kapanen instead of bringing in Griffith anyways.

Besides Ben Smith is only a plug-in until Freddy The Goat is ready for the show.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully this means leivo is ready to go. imo leivo deserves a legit shot. he has good hussle and a big shot. would not be opposed to see him getting a try with matthews-nylander or with jvr-bozak.

shoshnikov matthews nylander
jvr bozak leivo
brown kadri marner
martin hyman komorov

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully this means leivo is ready to go. imo leivo deserves a legit shot. he has good hussle and a big shot. would not be opposed to see him getting a try with matthews-nylander or with jvr-bozak.

shoshnikov matthews nylander
jvr bozak leivo
brown kadri marner
martin hyman komorov

Leivo is a skilled version of Hyman

Leivo- Matthews - Nylander

Thats a sick line

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leivo is a skilled version of Hyman

Leivo- Matthews - Nylander

Thats a sick line

Yeah I think you'll see Marner stick with Bozak and JVR as well.

Probably something more along the lines of this:

Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Leivo-Matthews-Nylander
Martin-Smith-Hyman
Holland

Soshnikov back to the Marlies (sadly). I have a gut feeling they'll want him back down there until we start to open up some spots through trades, which I doubt is in the distant future.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Not sure Seth Griffith is the type of player to be on a 3rd/4th line? And not sure he had what it takes to be on Toronto's 1-2 either. Pretty sure Boston fans were pretty accurate in their description of him and weren't just ripping him apart because he was now a Toronto Maple Leaf.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I can tell you why the Leafs didn't toss a defenceman and tossed a forward. Any defenceman would be snapped up by Boston (or a higher priority team) faster than...well, faster than this, which happened last night:

As a Bruins fan, I suppose I wouldn't mind having Griffith back. We've got some injured forwards - Vatrano and Acciari right now. We've also got Jimmy Hayes - aka the lesser Hayes brother who's only back in the lineup because of Acciari's injury. So, yeah, I'd take him to give flexibility.

But I do wonder how that would rate on the "awkward" scale. Although the Leafs do have experience with trading and boomeranging a player back, no? It could work. *shrug* I'm just a bit surprised - I haven't been watching Griffith, but I haven't heard particularly BAD things about him on the Leafs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Would guess that he gets claimed... I thought he played pretty good in the limited time he got. We're just stock full of depth. If not by another team, then by Boston.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Smith would have cleared. Would have made more sense to send him down while we can try and find a deal for one of our forwards.

And hopefully in that time, Babcock would lose interest in him, and we could leave him down there.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Cannot believe the moaning in this thread.

Guys they are rebuilding, none of these moves are finite. They have a plan.

We should trust they know what they are doing. I couldn't give a diddly poo about Seth or Ben myself.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I thought he looked good in the limited action that he played in. Problem is, he's in the category of those bubble players and the Leafs want to see what they have in the players that they've drafted.

And the only way that you can take Smith out of the line-up is by waving him. Because I would have kept Griffith over Smith as well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Though Babcock isn't a normal coach - he's an 8 million dollar a year man.

He's going to be the most influential coach in the league as a result

i don't think so. he just upped the new pay-scale. (I mean McLeallan is making 6? i believe - do you think being the 2ndish highest paid coach - I think Q is up there now too) - has a lot of influence?). I'm not saying Babcock doesn't have a say - but I doubt Lou is like. "Oh, Okay, Mike."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad