Confirmed with Link: [BOS->TOR->FLA] TOR Claim Seth Griffith| Nov 11: Leafs Waive Griffith, claimed by FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Wasn't impressed with his skating. He's got some recognizable skill hence he was worth a look. The contract vacancy is a benefit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Picking guys up off waivers is always a crap shoot. Sometimes you get sevens sometimes you get snake eyes.
Noting ventured nothing gained.

But at least give them a chance. I mean, 3 games? How do you know you got sevens or snake eyes? Based on practice? But then you give guys like Holland and Leivo years of chances. And they never show anything but they still get kept around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But at least give them a chance. I mean, 3 games? How do you know you got sevens or snake eyes? Based on practice? But then you give guys like Holland and Leivo years of chances. And they never show anything but they still get kept around.

And that's the thing - I'm not so torn up about losing Griffith though I do think he has a shot st being a decent NHLer it's the fact thevLeafsbdidnt even give him a have while they had a legitimately terrible player like Smith in the lineup

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I read this situation as the Leafs scouts/stats guys seeing Griffith as an asset worth claiming but Babcock having no interest in playing him.

I think there's a bit of a management split between Lou and Babs on one side and Dubas and Hunter on the other side.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This guy got PP time with Nylander and Matthews. In the NHL that is considered a chance.

All I remember is him robbing Nylander of an easy assist.

No big loss on a professional level here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think there's a bit of a management split between Lou and Babs on one side and Dubas and Hunter on the other side.

Yeah - I see that being the case.

I doubt it's anything too dysfunctional but we do know there have been some disagreements in the past - ie Babcock pushing for Hanifin over Marner pre draft. And I can't imagine Dubas and the stars guys being found of players like Smith and Hunwick

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah - I see that being the case.

I doubt it's anything too dysfunctional but we do know there have been some disagreements in the past - ie Babcock pushing for Hanifin over Marner pre draft. And I can't imagine Dubas and the stars guys being found of players like Smith and Hyman.

That was just some BS being generated in the media, Babcock had virtually no knowledge of Marner or Hanifin & he was not going to have any say in how Hunter picked, other than the round table predraft discussions & his weight would have been minimal.

Although the media would like to create drama, everyone in management knows there place & role. Babcock would be the first to admit he has virtually no time to scout undrafted prospects. He has his hands full enough with the Leafs & catching some Marlie games.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That was just some BS being generated in the media, Babcock had virtually no knowledge of Marner or Hanifin & he was not going to have any say in how Hunter picked, other than the round table predraft discussions & his weight would have been minimal.

Although the media would like to create drama, everyone in management knows there place & role. Babcock would be the first to admit he has virtually no time to scout undrafted prospects. He has his hands full enough with the Leafs & catching some Marlie games.

Maybe.

But I remember Mirtle and Siegel reporting on that - and they're usually pretty reliable.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Maybe.

But I remember Mirtle and Siegel reporting on that - and they're usually pretty reliable.

to the casual hockey fan marner is the best player on the leafs right now ,if u just watch hockey periodically ,he just wows u ,Pittsburgh fans were inpressed as were their reporters

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Maybe.

I would argue - it's a little both of pot a, and pot b.

We know that everything isn't kumbaya at Leafs HQ - Shanahan basically stated if he got everyone who agreed with him, they'd be in big trouble. They get people who push each other and have different mindsets and what not. But ultimately I believe they all get to the same point - just in different ways.

With the Marner vs. Hanifin thing - I doubt very much that Shanahan/Hunter/Dubas/Babcock would have let something like that be known with names. But I could see Babcock pushing for the defenseman (build from net out or at least have a stalwart) - vs. having a really great forward and the names inserted worked with the narrative of whom 3-4-5 was going to be. (Strome/Marner/Hanifin).

but as we can all remember, Button was stating that if the Leafs were going to go after anyone he was of the firm belief it wouldn't have been Hanifin, it would have been Werenski or Provorov based on their skating and offense, with no disrespect to Hanifin in either regard - just that Button was really, really pushing those two over him and noted that those seemed like players Hunter would grab over Hanifin.

and Babcock has said that Hunter is so good at his job, who is he to tell him player A vs. Player B. Hunts is the one who sees them.

Ultimately I feel that people are cycling back to the whole "Well Lou/Babcock would like these types of players, but Hunter/Dubas would neveeeerrrrr" argument. and I really have to caution people we can't (or shouldn't) play that game.It can't be "all the good moves we like" are because of Hunter/Dubas, and all the questionable ones is because of Lou/Babcock. While some of the moves/players etc are questionable, I think it's just a way to continue to make things uncomfortable for the players (ie: you can be replaced, push each other blah blah blah). People hate on smith - but i mean he's not going to be here forever. It's like stressing over a pimple. You know it's going to go away soon. Why pick at it?

He's not that good, we all know he's not that good, but he's a right hand faceoff person and he helps out PK somewhat. but he's going to go away. Griffith had 3 good games, but whatever. is he better than Holland - I'd say so, but are we going to quibble about Holland vs. Griffith? Neither two of them are in the final design plan.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I would argue - it's a little both of pot a, and pot b.

We know that everything isn't kumbaya at Leafs HQ - Shanahan basically stated if he got everyone who agreed with him, they'd be in big trouble. They get people who push each other and have different mindsets and what not. But ultimately I believe they all get to the same point - just in different ways.

With the Marner vs. Hanifin thing - I doubt very much that Shanahan/Hunter/Dubas/Babcock would have let something like that be known with names. But I could see Babcock pushing for the defenseman (build from net out or at least have a stalwart) - vs. having a really great forward and the names inserted worked with the narrative of whom 3-4-5 was going to be. (Strome/Marner/Hanifin).

but as we can all remember, Button was stating that if the Leafs were going to go after anyone he was of the firm belief it wouldn't have been Hanifin, it would have been Werenski or Provorov based on their skating and offense, with no disrespect to Hanifin in either regard - just that Button was really, really pushing those two over him and noted that those seemed like players Hunter would grab over Hanifin.

and Babcock has said that Hunter is so good at his job, who is he to tell him player A vs. Player B. Hunts is the one who sees them.

Ultimately I feel that people are cycling back to the whole "Well Lou/Babcock would like these types of players, but Hunter/Dubas would neveeeerrrrr" argument. and I really have to caution people we can't (or shouldn't) play that game.It can't be "all the good moves we like" are because of Hunter/Dubas, and all the questionable ones is because of Lou/Babcock. While some of the moves/players etc are questionable, I think it's just a way to continue to make things uncomfortable for the players (ie: you can be replaced, push each other blah blah blah). People hate on smith - but i mean he's not going to be here forever. It's like stressing over a pimple. You know it's going to go away soon. Why pick at it?

He's not that good, we all know he's not that good, but he's a right hand faceoff person and he helps out PK somewhat. but he's going to go away. Griffith had 3 good games, but whatever. is he better than Holland - I'd say so, but are we going to quibble about Holland vs. Griffith? Neither two of them are in the final design plan.

As for the rift between Lou and Babcock
Lou said:
Q: How important is Babcock’s vision to your vision?

A: “It would be an understatement for me to express how important Mike is. I’ve said it continuously, to me he’;s the best coach in the game. And he is the best coach for the Leafs. Because he’s a teacher and (he’s) what is needed to get a system in place and to stick with it consistently and go over and over it. What impresses me the mist is that Mike looks at the positives and accentuates that. Whatever they don’t, he finds a way for them to teach themselves. So he’s important as you can make it in every way and he’s been a pleasure to work with.“The fortunate thing for me is Brendan, Mike, we’re all on the same page. Three different individuals with one common goal.â€
Shanny said:
Q: Do you have a defining take-away?

A: Buy-in. I think. Buy-in. I think to have two strong individuals like Mike and Lou — there was an buy-in from the players, and an acceptance. It’s one thing to say you’re going to do everything that the coach asks of you, and it’s another thing to do it. And they did that. But also in the management group. I mean, people said at the end of last season that we wouldn’t be able to find a coach of a general manager of any substance that would enter into a situation where the management team’s been built, somewhat. And we were hopeful, somewhat confident, that we could. So the fact that they came here and the entire management team worked so well together, and formed a pretty good partnership with each other, that to me goes into the buy-in as well. Players, the entire group of the direction that we have to go. And again, toy me that’s the big thing, that the ship is at least turned in the right direction.

And to the bolded, yes that has always been the plan, to create competition at every position so players know they have to work hard every shift to keep their spot.
There is a lot of competition, but that brings out the best in players,†said Hyman, whose digging ability impressed Babcock last season. “I don’t think there’s a difference if you’re a first-, second- or third-year guy. You have to be on your toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad