Post-Game Talk: BOS @ NYR | Still Alive

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Does Boyle have enough footspeed to recover if he gives up the puck at the blueline on the PP?

:D Did McCabe?

His pivotal skating is better than Richards and Stepan, I know that much.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
3 stars seemed really pumped up after the game.

Body language speaks a lot...

Was thinking about this before.

The Rangers looked nervous and lost through the first 25-30 minutes. After Hagelin got that goal, though, it seemed to wake the team up, and, IMO, they controlled the game after that. They seemed to have a lot more jump and chances.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The puck could have landed on top of the net, gone sideways, gone frontward too.

It could have been hit by a speeding pigeon and ricocheted into the opposing goal.

If a puck is headed into your net and reverses direction it is not a bad bounce for your team even if an opposing player makes a nice play and smacks it home.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I am sure most of you won't know what this means, but Boyle reminds me a bit of Stemmer in these playoffs.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Um are you talking about Boyle?

He is the worst turning skater on the team by a landslide. Its like watching a 747 turn on a tarmac. He has little or no agility/or pivoting to his skating.

The only thing I can say that Boyle does competently, skating wise, is that he is a decent straight ahead skater. But as soon as Boyle has to turn or skate in tight: he either does so really awkwardly/slowly or he has the balance of a drunken midget and falls over.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Guessing this is a tribute to the "still alive" title.

And no, I've critiqued Boyle's skating in the past, but were you to run drills of heel-turns at the point, I'd take him over our other forwards playing the point. And that's before you talk about wingspan with the stick. We suck at holding the puck in on clearing attempts. Boyle could help with that.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It could have been hit by a speeding pigeon and ricocheted into the opposing goal.

If a puck is headed into your net and reverses direction it is not a bad bounce for your team even if an opposing player makes a nice play and smacks it home.

Disagree. A bad bounce is anything like that which has negative repercussions for your team. It certainly wasn't a "good" bounce.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins owner is one of the cheapest owners in sports. He just wanted another home game to fill his pockets, don't get to excited!

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Bruins owner is one of the cheapest owners in sports. He just wanted another home game to fill his pockets, don't get to excited!
Haha. People, they're the worst.

Pushing it to Game 7 is looking good, then.

Bardof425*

Luckiest bounce I have ever seen for the Rangers. What happened after that is irrelevant to that fact. That bounce almost prevented a goal that appeared inevitable.

Would you say it was lucky in the Bruin's favor that a shot that would have missed the net hit Hank in the top of the head and went straight up and landed on the goal line? That puck had no business being anywhere near the crease and yet there it was.

Bardof425*

Six is the bare minimum acceptable number of defensemen to dress. Period. There is never a good reason to play 13 forwards.

Really? The Stanley Cup winning '94 Rangers did it all the time. It's nice to see how definitive you can be when you're wrong.

Bardof425*

Are you guys nuts? You want Brian Boyle to be in a position to make split second decisions with the puck when he regularly does the wrong thing with it when he has a second or two to decide? And you want those decisions to be made when he is the last line of defense? I don't care what he did 6 years ago in college. Although shredding from the point is a curious turn of a phrase. He cannot have any control over any offensive situation ever. Never.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I am sure most of you won't know what this means, but Boyle reminds me a bit of Stemmer in these playoffs.

Stemkowski? I can see that. What in particular? That he has been elevating his game in the playoffs (he did the same thing last year in the OTT series until the Neil hit) like Stemmer did? Or that they're both big, tall guys for their times? Or something else?

To be fair in this comparison to Stemkowski though, he was a fair bit better than Boyle in the regular season.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Are you limiting your search to the playoffs of that year?
I was, yes. Did you mean the regular season?

Their defenseman played a total of 508 games in the regular season. 84 * 6 = 504 (sorry about the math), so the averaged slightly more than 6 defensemen dressed per game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Stemkowski? I can see that. What in particular? That he has been elevating his game in the playoffs (he did the same thing last year in the OTT series until the Neil hit) like Stemmer did? Or that they're both big, tall guys for their times? Or something else?

To be fair in this comparison to Stemkowski though, he was a fair bit better than Boyle in the regular season.

Correct. They have both elevated their games and their physical statures are similar. Stemmer was always a mystery. You would watch him in the playoffs and expect a better regular season the next year. Never quite worked out that way. If this is the Boyle we will get every year in the playoffs he is worth keeping and putting up with.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Correct. They have both elevated their games and their physical statures are similar. Stemmer was always a mystery. You would watch him in the playoffs and expect a better regular season the next year. Never quite worked out that way. If this is the Boyle we will get every year in the playoffs he is worth keeping and putting up with.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

My view on Boyle is he really needs to be a winger. Let him play wing and he contributes quite often. His play is just worlds better when he can simplify his game a bit on the wing.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Rask is a good goalie, with impecable stats, but January 2nd in 2007 he had a awful game, and subsequently benched in the next game at the IIHF U 20 Championship in Sweden. It was against the USA, and he was crap. He's hometown is famous for hosting the worlds in cell phone throwing championship. Incidently, the first US mobile throwing championship was held in 2008 in South Hadley, Ma. January 2nd 2007 was also the day North Korea told US negotiators they would abandon their nuclear programme by end of the year. This scouting report is going nowhere. Traffic is key, as always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad