Confirmed with Link: BOS/MIN Wild acquire Jared Knight for Zack Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Phillips is a bust...Knight is an Iowa move that may or may not have an impact on the Wild in the future...more likely not, but since Phillips was guaranteed not to...good move.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Officially time to call the Burns trade a loss. Understand the reasons at the time..but hard to argue we won that one. Unless Coyle turns into the power forward we all hope he can be..but I have my doubts.

That is life in the hockey world. When you trade an NHLer for future pieces, you run the risk of several pieces not panning out. That is why I always prefer more proven assets as opposed to future picks unlike alot of HFers.

That said, the trade made sense and I cannot fault the team for making the trade that they did. Coyle is looking decent, the 1st was enticing, and Setoguchi did give us 2 years of 30 pts.

That is life.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wild developed young players on the roster

Granlund
Coyle
Zucker
Brodin
Haula
Spurgeon
Scandella
Dumba
Fontaine

Not fully Wild developed, but Wild still had a big impact

Nino

Defense looks good (as always), offense looks terrible 'special'. Coyle can't even hit 15 goals, Granlund can't hit 50 points and Zucker seems to be the only player we've developed in the past 15 years outside of Gaborik that looks able to score more than 20 goals a season, which I guess is good.

Phillips is just another first round bust. Knight makes tremendous sense when you look at Minnesota's MO and was a smart fit for an organization looking for tough, grit and tenacity on the lower lines with still some upside. He is exactly what the Wild look for in a prospect.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon are solid defensively but offensively; Haula, Granlund, Zucker, and Fontaine? You want to call that a success?

Plus Coyle. Looking at when and where they were drafted and at their impact on a team preparing for its' third post season in a row and whose window is just about to start opening, I'd say that's an awesome success.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
If you want to discuss other prospects or the prospect system in general, use the prospect thread. If you want to discuss current wild players, use the general wild thread.

This thread is for discussion of this trade.

Take it to the proper threads.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sound familiar:

Offensively, Knight is a straightforward player – one I have called on several occasions “the smallest power forward in hockey.” His north-south skating is great and while his lateral agility is middling, he has that top gear that can burst him past even the strongest-skating defensemen. He owns a hard shot with a quick release and can blow it past goaltenders from mid- and even long-range. Modestly creative, he has good passing instincts but seems to look his best when playing within himself: Rushing up the wings, mucking for the puck and driving to the net with fearless, almost reckless abandon.

Knight’s defensive play is admirable as well, and he solidly projects as a great two-way forward: His unwavering discipline and determination aiding in his puck-pursuit and decent positional play. Like many his age, he could benefit from further coaching but it’s easy to see why this is going to be a strength going forward.

http://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-top-ten-prospects/

Knight projects as a top-six scoring winger who could push for 40 goals in the NHL one day and could be a consistent 30-goal threat from year to year. At his floor, he's a third-liner who will play a solid two-way game. The style comparisons to Ryan Callahan are valid, and the two share some remarkable similarities in terms of size and style, as well as developmental path. Knight also reminds of a young Mark Recchi in that he is not the most explosive skater, but has excellent hands and a knack for generating scoring chances. You don't want to create unrealistic expectations for a player like Knight if he doesn't hit his target ceiling, but at the same time, he was the 32nd overall pick for a reason. The talent, drive and moxie is there and he appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. He's going to have a tough challenge to win an NHL spot in the fall because of his junior situation, but he is physically ready to make a run. Knight might earn a 10-game audition if he can impress enough at training camp and during the exhibition season.

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/07/boston-bruins-prospect-profile-2-jared.html

It's curious to note that his goal scoring ability hasn't translated over yet but who knows? He could be a poor man's Nino.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He could be a poor man's Nino.

not likely.

Pronman didn't even mention Knight in his 2013 Top Ten. http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=1586

Boston has been a somewhat weak system for a few years.

Richard Murray had him at 20th last season: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...group-of-boston-bruins-prospects/#more-105109

And he has not been good since. Not every player can make the leap from juniors to pro hockey.

This isn't quite the Oilers trading Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy, but I think Boston won the trade overall.

Good luck to Zack Phillips.

I sort of doubt they extend Knight, but I guess anything would help Iowa at this point.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
not likely.

Pronman didn't even mention Knight in his 2013 Top Ten. http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=1586

Boston has been a somewhat weak system for a few years.

Richard Murray had him at 20th last season: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...group-of-boston-bruins-prospects/#more-105109

And he has not been good since. Not every player can make the leap from juniors to pro hockey.

This isn't quite the Oilers trading Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy, but I think Boston won the trade overall.

Good luck to Zack Phillips.

I sort of doubt they extend Knight, but I guess anything would help Iowa at this point.

Please explain your rationale behind those thoughts. Not that I think you're wrong, just looking for reasoning as Zack Phillips hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Please explain your rationale behind those thoughts. Not that I think you're wrong, just looking for reasoning as Zack Phillips hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either.

Just look at AHL point totals. Its not close. Phillips doesn't have much, but Knight is next to nothing. Trade for what could/should be an acceptable AHL player for a fringe AHL player.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Just look at AHL point totals. Its not close. Phillips doesn't have much, but Knight is next to nothing. Trade for what could/should be an acceptable AHL player for a fringe AHL player.

No, I understand that piece but maybe getting the contract off the books a year early has a large part to do with why they made this trade. Results will remain to be seen.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
When he scored 80 points for St. Johns making me think he was gonna be a good future player. Then he forgot what off season training is.

Or scoring 95 in his draft year. Also believing that him and coyle in st.john could carry that to the nhl.

I inspired an article 'a future dynamic duo?' Ha not anymore!

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
The one thing I think about is this trade is that Knight fits in a lot better with what have going on in Iowa than Phillips. Graovac, Bulmer, Mitchell, Brassart, Sutter, Gaberiel, Bussieres are all hard working, two-way, physical players. That style of play doesn't fit with a guy like Phillips that is slow-footed and likes dangle around with the puck. Phillips is a skilled player but he never got it going here even when the AHL team was stacked during the lockout. Knight may never play an NHL game for us but Phillips definitely wasn't going to either. Hopefully both players benefit from the switch.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Guess now im left to pull for bulmer and graovac as my two favorite prospects.
Phillips>knight, not even close, cdn here that has watched them both, phillips also a 2011 draft, knight a 2010 draft.
Phillips with some pp time which he never got and hopefully geta chance to play center, his position in junior.
Good luck to knight, hope he lights it up, good luck to zach, kid played all 76 games last year on a terrible team and unti;l being sat recently because a trade was coming came to rink everyday--solid character. He in fact as only guy that went to development camp this summer when he didnt have to under cba--good luck zach and welcome jared

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Results do not remain to be seen. Its obvious so far when those two are compared. And contract? Making peanuts in the AHL? That has to be a joke.

Getting rid of the contract as in freeing up one of the 50 contracted players limited by NHL rules...not the cost of the contract.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Phillips has 1 + 4 for 5 points in 6 games

Knight has 0 + 1 for 1 point in 3 games

This could mean nothing or it could mean a lot of things; we know Iowa is a dumpster fire right now, which shouldn't be surprising to see Phillips showing a little more outside the organization. The bigger question is, how will he do next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad