Confirmed with Link: BOS/MIN Wild acquire Jared Knight for Zack Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Or the organization sucks at developing them. Remember Zidlicky asked for a trade as well. Havlat also asked for a trade. So that's 4.

Those two players have nothing in common with Phillips. Zidlicky and Havlat both didn't like the system after a coaching change.

Phillips was just a marginal player in the AHL with no hope of finding an NHL spot with the depth ahead of him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Those two players have nothing in common with Phillips. Zidlicky and Havlat both didn't like the system after a coaching change.

Phillips was just a marginal player in the AHL with no hope of finding an NHL spot with the depth ahead of him.

Or that's what you're thinking. We don't know why Phillips asked to be traded. It could be that certain players passed him up. Or it could be that he didn't think Minnesota had his best interested in mind. Or he didn't think the system or organization was really suited to his development.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle

Let's not leave the incomparable Torry Mitchell out of this.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Or the organization sucks at developing them. Remember Zidlicky asked for a trade as well. Havlat also asked for a trade. So that's 4.

well if Phillips was playing above someone else right now, the organization would have sucked at developing that player, right? So if a prospect can't break through over other prospects at his position, it's the organization's fault he didn't develop enough...
nice trap.

Zid and Havlat were around when we sucked, and IIRC it was reported of both of them they were issuing usage demands of the coaching staff prior to anything coming out about trade demands. I think the feeling was mutual.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Or that's what you're thinking. We don't know why Phillips asked to be traded. It could be that certain players passed him up. Or it could be that he didn't think Minnesota had his best interested in mind. Or he didn't think the system or organization was really suited to his development.

Or it could be that you're just reaching for something to criticize the Wild about since they're winning and left you only straws to grasp at to knock Fletcher with.

I predicted this route with Phillips a couple years ago...he's a bust, nothing more. Happens all the time with every team actually.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
well if Phillips was playing above someone else right now, the organization would have sucked at developing that player, right?

So if a prospect can't break through over other prospects at his position, it's the organization's fault he didn't develop enough...
nice trap.

No, what I am saying is that Phillips and the Wild just weren't made for each other. The Wild haven't had the best track record when it comes with developing offensive talent because they focus hard on two-way play and good defensive play. Knight makes more sense for them because from what I've read and what his numbers suggest is that he's a gritty two-way forward, not necessarily known for his offensive acumen. He'll play hard but he won't necessarily be a scorer. It fits Fletcher's MO as he continues to shuffle around the cards at the lower level to find a guy like Carter that they can develop internally. Knight is just a bit more seasoned.

Zid and Havlat were around when we sucked, and IIRC it was reported of both of them they were issuing usage demands of the coaching staff prior to anything coming out about trade demands. I think the feeling was mutual.

It's still a reflection of this organization. I think that both can be at fault for someone. I don't necessarily think moving Havlat and Zidlicky was bad but at the same time, you have - actually now 5 guys asking for trades. That isn't really healthy for an organization. It's not a bad sign either but it's a trend that may need to be looked at.

Or it could be that you're just reaching for something to criticize the Wild about since they're winning and left you only straws to grasp at to knock Fletcher with.

This is the problem with sports; most fans are focused too solely on the here and now to not be able to see the entire picture. It's great the Wild have been winning, but it's such a small time frame in the grand scheme of things. Sustainability is what I'm looking at than these short bursts where the team peaks really hot before cooling off and then going back on another hot run. The Wild have always had good January and February's before cooling off. Remember last season?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Only you could say the Wild don't develop talent well, whilst the roster is made up of mostly young developed talent and are in playoff position.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's still a reflection of this organization. I think that both can be at fault for someone. I don't necessarily think moving Havlat and Zidlicky was bad but at the same time, you have - actually now 5 guys asking for trades. That isn't really healthy for an organization. It's not a bad sign either but it's a trend that may need to be looked at.

Trend? Really? :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
People ask for trades because they want to play more. That happens. Especially on teams that aren't winning. Especially if they know they aren't part of the future.

J22*

1. List the players that wanted out
2. List the players that wanted to come here
3. Decide which list you would rather have

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild have a deep team and a weak farm team. Phillips needs a shallow NHL team and a strong farm team.

Not saying Boston is the best fit but the trade request makes sense.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Only you could say the Wild don't develop talent well, whilst the roster is made up of mostly young developed talent and are in playoff position.

Yes, because if we took away Parise, Suter, and Vanek - this team would still be in the position they are in today. Let's forget those signings. Also, if you take away Coyle (from the Burns trade), el Nino (Clutterbuck) and Koivu, this team would be really super as they were the results of development from before this current management group came in.

Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon are solid defensively but offensively; Haula, Granlund, Zucker, and Fontaine? You want to call that a success?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
1. List the players that wanted out
2. List the players that wanted to come here
3. Decide which list you would rather have

It's not necessarily who wants out but who doesn't want to come here? We have guys that played in Minnesota coming back, which is awesome but we don't know about those guys that have turned down Minnesota because they aren't reported.

he has placed his focus on Iowa now.

I've always been focused on maintaining a solid balance with Iowa and Minnesota. Having a strong farm team only gives this team flexibility and options in the future.

Trend? Really? :laugh:

Not really a trend either but it is strange that a team has had 5? 6? players that have wanted out. I haven't heard of any other organization that hasn't been a dumpster fire having that many. Then again, it might not be reported as much.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, because if we took away Parise, Suter, and Vanek - this team would still be in the position they are in today. Let's forget those signings. Also, if you take away Coyle (from the Burns trade), el Nino (Clutterbuck) and Koivu, this team would be really super as they were the results of development from before this current management group came in.

Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon are solid defensively but offensively; Haula, Granlund, Zucker, and Fontaine? You want to call that a success?

If you're going to take Coyle away, I think you've got to put Burns back in. Leaving Coyle off the list suggests we never traded Burns, who was Wild home grown talent.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

LMAO! :laugh:

You realize you can do the exact SAME thing with every franchise in the NHL right?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild developed young players on the roster

Granlund
Coyle
Zucker
Brodin
Haula
Spurgeon
Scandella
Dumba
Fontaine

Not fully Wild developed, but Wild still had a big impact

Nino

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Officially time to call the Burns trade a loss. Understand the reasons at the time..but hard to argue we won that one. Unless Coyle turns into the power forward we all hope he can be..but I have my doubts.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Guys this thread is about the Phillips/Knight trade.

There are other threads for the topics you're all veering into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad