Proposal: BOS-LA-NYI

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah - The Islanders have 9 "defensemen." Are upcoming UFAs/waiver fodder Aho, Reilly, and Bortuzzo included in that 9? After Dobson, it's not like any of them are that great, or will be with the team when they're ready to compete again.

And why don't people understand that any player or pick is just an asset...That can be traded again.

Right now Pageau has so little trade value that if you get 2 young players and a pick for him you do it. That gives you more trade, and cap, flexiblity (not to mention more desperately needed youth) that you can start making other moves.
The original trade read like the Islanders were getting Englund and Rittich which is what my post was referring to. If they were to get both, they’d have 10 defenseman (including all the waiver fodder you speak of) on one way contracts and 3 goalies, for the remainder of this season. Trading Pageau for futures is fine but not for 2 cap dump players in positions they’re already set at this season/the future and an offset of a mediocre pick. The post was recently adjusted today from the looks of it and it makes much more sense.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Edit:
to BOS: Pageau, Laferriere, Englund, Riitch, Jack Hughes (the other one)
to NYI: Helenius, Myrenberg, 2025 LA 3rd RD Pick
to LA: Ullmark, Forbort (75% retained), Steen
This is so bad for the Kings. You want them to send away the only player (England) on the team happily willing to drop the gloves and do some damage. Riitch, who is doing an admirable job in net. Laferriere, a rookie who though not big, willfully enters the dirty areas of the ice, and has a more than a couple goals. Jack Hughes (the other one), who is progressing. And Helenius, again, a guy who plays mean (i've read this), but hasn't learned the art of fisticuffs yet. Plus, to top it off a 3rd rounder next season. The one thing in common for all these players, is they are cost controlled.

And for all this the Kings get Ullmark, not exactly a playoff goalie. I've seen his playoff stats. I can see why you'd be willing to send him away. Forbort (75%), OMG, he used to play here in LA, and he wasn't good. He doesn't play the body, as he would rather hug than throw a hard check. And Steen, a 5'10 inch, 25 year old forward, with 4 career goals in 60 games played, including 1 this season in 34 games. Bejebus.

Boston makes out like bandits; the Islanders do ok; but the Kings get borked.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Pretending Lamoriello would like to use this opportunity to move Pageau (and Boston would seem a prime target), I think the throw-in "here and there" would need to be somewhat measureable.

Pageau is what he is, but that's an element almost every team wants as a 3rd line center come playoff time. He still has 2 years on his contract. And more importantly, the Isles are not in a place where they "need" to move him.

And I have a strong feeling that he'd absolutely kill it for a team like Boston. He'd fit in quick and immediately be invigorated and thus become a guy with lots of intangibles.

So a young man like Turcotte on the cusp of busthood certainly wouldn't get it done, which you did indeed allude to.

Now, if I were to say that in addition to Turcotte (not a terribly bad idea, even if I think the Isles would demand Sam Helenius instead) the very prospect-poor NYI would have to get the rights to Liiga Dman Otto Salin and 2025 3rd rounder from LA as well as the rights to BC winger Oscar Jellvik and SHL Dman Jon Myrenberg from the Bruins, are these prices the respective teams would be willing to pay?

In and of themselves, these assets are no big loss to either LA or BOS, even if fans may say, "I kinda like that guy. Would hate to lose him." None are "top prospects" at the moment.

As a plus point, the NYI could theoretically take back a bit of contract if say Boston would need/want to dump that in the process.
Pageau should not be on the Bruins radar......

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Boston don't have the assets to get "that guy with 27 goals" though.

This is exactly correct. A lot of Boston fans want the high end moves, but we don’t have the assets or cap space. That’s why I was trying to think out of the box a little. I’ve always liked JGP and he’s always been really tough against us, I think he’d be a great option, but I understand why others want the bigger names.

Apparently I adjusted too far against LA though, probably have to remove a few pieces and simplify it.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Edit:
to BOS: Pageau, Laferriere, Englund, Riitch, Jack Hughes (the other one)
to NYI: Helenius, Myrenberg, 2025 LA 3rd RD Pick
to LA: Ullmark, Forbort (75% retained), Steen
I think Boston will stand pat. They took their big swing last year. It never worked. Bruins are a .700 team. They got a good shot as it is. All it takes is a bounce and a break they could go on deep run in playoffs.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I can see LA trading Turcotte since he's gonna be UFA anyways. Seems he doesn't really have a role in LA.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Most of this players have negative value

The best player of the group is LU and generally the team acquiring the best player makes out the best. Mostly scrub trade proposals here as they try and steal Linus.

• Haha
Reactions: FSL KINGS

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
NYI fan here. Pageau has been a major cause of late-game wilting this year. That said, you know his playoffs pedigree. (But the next two years on his contract aren't looking pretty.) I'd have thought Nelson would be a better fit. (He could play center or wing, serve as a trigger the 2nd PP.) Of course, JGP would be a dump, and Nelson isn't.
If they want JG, that is okay. Nelson is a different story.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Well if Blake could develop players, Turcs could've been something special. I'm still holding out for that.
Turcotte looks just fine. He hasn’t been healthy enough to develop up until this point. I’ll be the first to blame Blake but I’m not blaming him on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad