Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Jake DeBrusk signs extension (2 years, $3.675M AAV)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Go reread the thread. Someone immediately brought up Toronto and why Boston is better. Also, I'm not a Leafs fan. Pens.

This . Random fan came in knocking Toronto and a few responded in kind. Actually read the thread; I know its arduous given the 2 page length. Decent/typical bridge

Reactions: Fisticuffer

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Sweeney gets a lot of flack but he has done a really good job at signing the new core to reasonable contracts.

Pastrnak-6 year, 6.66m
Marchand- 8 year, 6.13m
Coyle- 6 year, 5.25m
McAvoy- 3 year, 4.9m
Gryz- 4 year, 3.68m
Debrusk- 2 year, 3.67m
Smith- 3 year, 3.1m
Carlo- 2 year, 2.85m
Bjork - 3 year, 1.6m
Clifton- 3 year, 1m
Lauzon- 2 year, 850k
Zboril- 2 year, 725k
Senyshyn 1 year, 700k

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
A guy on pace for 34 goals and 59 points, who is a puckhound and penalty kills would hurt your team.

Lmao.

The guy literally outscored debrusk in 15 less games, while being a better player on the forecheck. He also had more hits, more blocks, less giveaways, more takeaways. Was the better penalty killer, had better Fenwick, corsi and overall possession stats.

He would be very valuable for the bruins. Thankfully neither one of us want him on your second line.
Look, we are glad you like Hyman and all but no we wouldn't be too thrilled to have him instead of Debrusk. Sorry.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Lets look at the talent that Hyman has played with over the last 3 years vs the talent DeBrusk has.....

Hyman's top 3 linemates over the last 3 years at 5v5

1. Marner
2. Matthews
3. Tavares

DeBrusk Top 3 linemates over the last 3 years at 5v5

1. Krejci
2. Coyle
3. Heinen

There seems to be a significant difference in the talent level two have played with. The best player DeBrusk has played with consistently is David Krejci, whose past his prime. The worst player that Hyman has consistently played with is who? Marner? LOL if you look at where the TOR guys rank in 5v5 production over the last 3 years, they are all 20 top in the entire NHL. For the BOS guys Krejci ranks the highest and is 80th in the NHL over the last 3 years in 5v5 production.

So the best player DeBrusk has played w/ over the last 3 years is a top 80 producer in the NHL. The WORST player Hyman has played with over the last 3 years is a top 20 producer in the NHL at 5v5.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Lets look at the talent that Hyman has played with over the last 3 years vs the talent DeBrusk has.....

Hyman's top 3 linemates over the last 3 years at 5v5

1. Marner
2. Matthews
3. Tavares

DeBrusk Top 3 linemates over the last 3 years at 5v5

1. Krejci
2. Coyle
3. Heinen

There seems to be a significant difference in the talent level two have played with. The best player DeBrusk has played with consistently is David Krejci, whose past his prime. The worst player that Hyman has consistently played with is who? Marner? LOL if you look at where the TOR guys rank in 5v5 production over the last 3 years, they are all 20 top in the entire NHL. For the BOS guys Krejci ranks the highest and is 80th in the NHL over the last 3 years in 5v5 production.

So the best player DeBrusk has played w/ over the last 3 years is a top 80 producer in the NHL. The WORST player Hyman has played with over the last 3 years is a top 20 producer in the NHL at 5v5.
I guess that shows that Hyman does a better job at making the players around him better.

No knock on DeBrusk, though. They're both fine players.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I guess that shows that Hyman does a better job at making the players around him better.

No knock on DeBrusk, though. They're both fine players.

I'm not saying Hyman is terrible, but take him away from those elite level talents and he's not putting up the same numbers. Good complementary winger, but teams are zeroing in on Matthews & Marner, focusing their attention on shutting them down.

Last year Hyman was on pace for just shy of 60 points (59pts pace). Lets say he has similar season and puts up 60pts this year. He's a UFA at the end of the season, you offering him the market value of a 60pt player?

As for DeBrusk/Hyman, one guy is in his prime playing with elite talent while the other is still 2-3 years away from his prime...playing with an aging #2C and 3rd liners.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Toronto signed Kapanen and Johnsson who are comparable players to these type of deals.

The reason Tampa and Boston have been better than Toronto is because their stars took huge discounts.

Mostly because their stars signed before they broke out. Kuch and Pasta both signed their extensions before they exploded, had they waited 1-2 years they'd be commanding well over 10M each. But great deal for Boston, i thought this kid would get at least 5M. As much as i hate Debrusk this is a solid signing for Boston. Good player, great contract for the Bruins.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Some thing I do not understand, every time there is a thread dealing with a Bruin's player it quickly is loaded with Toronto fans finding fault with that player,. That is followed by their touting one of their players being better and the Bruins being a one line team. So how come every year the Bruins finish higher in the standings and the difference in points has been getting larger each of the last several years.

I've seen nothing but good things said about Debrusk. defending hyman as a top 6 winger does not detract from debrusk

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
JDB should slot in on the 3rd line with Coyle. Krejci and Jake have no chemistry on the ice. They play 2 different styles. One drives to the net the other slowly zig zags in the zone. This is a bridge show me what you can do deal. Krech will retire in a few years and Jakes center could be Studnicka.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not saying Hyman is terrible, but take him away from those elite level talents and he's not putting up the same numbers. Good complementary winger, but teams are zeroing in on Matthews & Marner, focusing their attention on shutting them down.

Last year Hyman was on pace for just shy of 60 points (59pts pace). Lets say he has similar season and puts up 60pts this year. He's a UFA at the end of the season, you offering him the market value of a 60pt player?

As for DeBrusk/Hyman, one guy is in his prime playing with elite talent while the other is still 2-3 years away from his prime...playing with an aging #2C and 3rd liners.

DeBrusk: 24
82 game averages: 25 goals/48 points/15:31 TOI

Hyman: 28
82 game averages: 20 goals/41 points/17:22 TOI

I'd rather have DeBrusk considering age and talent. Hyman is a hard worker, but IMO his numbers come from the upper tier talent surrounding him and the minutes he's fed. He's earned it but strictly comparing who I would rather have on my 2nd line wing, it would be DeBrusk. DeBrusk -- Hyman as opposite wings on the same line would make for a pretty good 2nd line.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Hyman was on the Bruins 2nd line with DeBrusk, they probably have another Cup.

But, trying to compare Hyman to DeBrusk is silly.

Anyway. This isn't a Leafs thread please.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
DeBrusk: 24
82 game averages: 25 goals/48 points/15:31 TOI

Hyman: 28
82 game averages: 20 goals/41 points/17:22 TOI

I'd rather have DeBrusk considering age and talent. Hyman is a hard worker, but IMO his numbers come from the upper tier talent surrounding him and the minutes he's fed. He's earned it but strictly comparing who I would rather have on my 2nd line wing, it would be DeBrusk. DeBrusk -- Hyman as opposite wings on the same line would make for a pretty good 2nd line.

Point is DeBrusk is the 3rd best winger on the Bruins which has given him lots of advantageous time versus Kapanen and AJ which was the original argument before a Bruins fan got sensitive that Debrusk was compared to a Leaf.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Sweeney gets a lot of flack but he has done a really good job at signing the new core to reasonable contracts.

Pastrnak-6 year, 6.66m
Marchand- 8 year, 6.13m
Coyle- 6 year, 5.25m
McAvoy- 3 year, 4.9m
Gryz- 4 year, 3.68m
Debrusk- 2 year, 3.67m
Smith- 3 year, 3.1m
Carlo- 2 year, 2.85m
Bjork - 3 year, 1.6m
Clifton- 3 year, 1m
Lauzon- 2 year, 850k
Zboril- 2 year, 725k
Senyshyn 1 year, 700k

Agreed. Managed to shed a bad contract or two as well.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems good. DeBrusk I think is what he is at this point and this number is perfectly reasonable for what he brings. Would still like the Bruins to bring in another top 6 producing RW.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
JDB should slot in on the 3rd line with Coyle. Krejci and Jake have no chemistry on the ice. They play 2 different styles. One drives to the net the other slowly zig zags in the zone. This is a bridge show me what you can do deal. Krech will retire in a few years and Jakes center could be Studnicka.

The Coyle line might well be the 2nd line... the Bruins truly need to figure out the RW issue that has gone on for years.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Thats a fair contract. If he can become more consistent it's a nice win for the Bruins.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Hyman was on the Bruins 2nd line with DeBrusk, they probably have another Cup.

But, trying to compare Hyman to DeBrusk is silly.

Anyway. This isn't a Leafs thread please.
What an odd thing to say.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting deal, in that i'm not whether a bridge deal like this really helps...or hinders his potential trade value. Kinda makes it seem like the Bruins didn't like that market on him or value offered in return, and are going to just keep him after all. Because a bridge is what needed to happen for Boston to fit him in really - though that may also be true of some potential trade suitors. Who knows.

Solid value for a good, versatile winger who can play up and down the lineup and add a bit of jam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad