Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] F David Pastrnak signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $11.25M AAV)

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Mack's career average: 0.38 gpg 1.05 ppg
Pastrnak's career average: 0.49gpg 1.03 ppg

Pastrnak is arguably worth more. They are at the very least the approximate same tier.

Lol on using carrer production to determine contract.
I would love to hear GM making this argument to Mack
Hi Nate, we understand you are 1,3PPG+ in both RS and Playoffs in last few years. But we only value you as 1PPG player because this is your career average. Here is 9m per year, take it or leave it.

Reactions: Regal

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
lol they're paying him almost as much as McJesus.

welcome to cap hell in 2 years Boston.

Boston might also have another cup to their name within that time frame. I'm sure they'll deal with the cap later.

Reactions: Bfan14

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
People have been predicting Cap Hell and/or the demise of the Bruins for the last decade. How'd that work out for them? You'd be smart to learn from their mistakes.

I remember when Bergeron/Krejci turned 31/30 respectively and the main board group think tank surmised that they were both on the wrong side of 30 and that was it for Boston.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
What's so complicated with what I said?

Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk
Zacha-Krecji-Pasta
That's your current top 6. When Marchand and Bergeron are done, wouldn't Zacha-Krecji-Pasta become the top line who has to face top competition? Will Pasta be as good without Bergeron and Marchand taking the harder competition?
Why is Marchand retiring before Krejci, exactly?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I remember when Bergeron/Krejci turned 31/30 respectively and the main board group think tank surmised that they were both on the wrong side of 30 and that was it for Boston.

Also when Chara turned 40. And when they lost Boychuck. Or Lucic. Or Seidenberg, Or Krug. Or Tuukka.

They just don't learn.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Mack's career average: 0.38 gpg 1.05 ppg
Pastrnak's career average: 0.49gpg 1.03 ppg

Pastrnak is arguably worth more. They are at the very least the approximate same tier.

Contracts aren’t based on career numbers. MacKinnon has been top 10 in points per game for 6 consecutive seasons, while Pastrnak has been top 10 3 times in the past 5 years, and is coming off of two seasons just over a point per game. While injury and personal reasons could explain those seasons, they still happened. MacKinnon is also a 3 time Hart finalist, while Pastrnak has a single 4th place finish (which was behind MacKinnon).

Over those 5 years for Pastrnak, he’s at 1.21 PPG. Over that same time period, MacKinnon is at 1.34 PPG. And that eliminates a season where MacKinnon finished barely behind McDavid in PPG. In the playoffs, MacKinnon is third among all active players with a 1.33 PPG, while Pastrnak is at 1.06.

MacKinnon is also a center, a better play driver, and was coming off a cup win where he led the playoffs in goals. He’s clearly worth more, and this thread is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone try to argue otherwise. The gap between their cap hits is entirely justified

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
How do you know his cap % when you don't even know the Cap next year?

Also Pasta > Rantanen
it’s not that difficult for this discussion. Even if the cap goes up $3m Pastas contract is still over 13%. $3m would probably be a stretch.

Comparing a contract that includes RFA years to one that is all UFA years is comparing apples to orangutans
You think RFA years were considered? Do you think they were considered with the big Leafs contracts? RFA means very little to players at that level.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
it’s not that difficult for this discussion. Even if the cap goes up $3m Pastas contract is still over 13%. $3m would probably be a stretch.

You think RFA years were considered? Do you think they were considered with the big Leafs contracts? RFA means very little to players at that level.
RFA years are always considered. Also even is Pasta is over 13% hes still better than Rantanen.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
RFA years are always considered. Also even is Pasta is over 13% hes still better than Rantanen.
At that level RFA years mean nothing.

he can be better than Rantenen all he wants. Show me 13% CH+ player who won the Cup.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Sure did matter during Pasta's last contract... and McAvoy's last contract. I can't speak to what Dubas was drinking.

he can be better than Rantenen all he wants. Show me 13% CH+ player who won the Cup.
-1x-1.jpg

Reactions: bearcountry17

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023

Hes making like $6.6M right now where Boston is going for the cup...

They're not going for it the same way next year, and then the cap keeps going up from there.

Also, there have been a few players who have won with 12% plus cap hits.

That extra 1% for your best player is what is going to prevent the Bruins from ever winning the Cup?

I have absolutely no idea what your point is right now

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd rather have Pastrnak for that price than not have Pastrnak. Seems fair.
THIS^ is a great post!

Pasta signing made my day. When I saw him at the game, I thanked Pasta for deciding to stay in Boston for 8 more years. After the game he gave me a stick that he had signed. He is nice to the old lady next to the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad