Proposal: BOS-ANA

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This proposal is created under the premise that the Bruins need to clear cap space for their RFAs and possibly Bergeron/Krejci.

To Anaheim:
LHD Derek Forbort ($3M cap hit for 1 year)
2026 2nd Round Pick (this can be substituted for 2025 3rd Round Pick + forward prospect)

To Boston:
LHD Colton White ($762.5K cap hit for 1 year)

Why Anaheim does this:
They have the short term cap space to absorb Forbort without retention and Forbort would be a useful temporary partner for Drysdale.

Why Boston does this:
This clears over $2M in cap space that can be better used elsewhere. Also, while Colton White is nothing special, he is a serviceable 6/7 D at a fraction of the cost of Forbort. And if Boston has no use for White, then the trade can simply be for Future Considerations.

For full transparency, I am not sure how important Forbort is to Boston’s current lineup, so if he is a more crucial member than I think he is, I can see why Bruins fans may object to this proposal.

EDIT: It would have to involve other pieces, but I could also see Henrique at 50% being attractive to Boston in their current situation.

New, simplified deal:

To Anaheim:
Derek Forbort
2025 3rd Round Pick

To Boston:
Future Considerations

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This proposal is created under the premise that the Bruins need to clear cap space for their RFAs and possibly Bergeron/Krejci.

To Anaheim:
LHD Derek Forbort ($3M cap hit for 1 year)
2026 2nd Round Pick (this can also be substituted for 2025 3rd Round Pick + forward prospect)

To Boston:
LHD Colton White ($762.5K cap hit for 1 year)

Why Anaheim does this:
They have the short term cap space to absorb Forbort without retention and Forbort would be a useful temporary partner for Drysdale.

Why Boston does this:
This clears over $2M in cap space that can be better used elsewhere. Also, while Colton White is nothing special, he is a serviceable 6/7 D at a fraction of the cost of Forbort. And if Boston has no use for White, then the trade can simply be for Future Considerations.

For full transparency, I am not sure how important Forbort is to Boston’s current lineup, so if he is a more crucial member than I think he is, I can see why Bruins fans may object to this proposal.

EDIT: It would have to involve other pieces, but I could also see Henrique at 50% being attractive to Boston in their current situation.
Not really sold on the return for ~$2.25m being a second round pick (50 years into future, to be sure).

It's closer if Anaheim takes all $3m without sending White, or if Forbort were some unplayable doofus. Not highly desirable, but closer.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Not really sold on the return for ~$2.25m being a second round pick (50 years into future, to be sure).

It's closer if Anaheim takes all $3m without sending White, or if Forbort were some unplayable doofus. Not highly desirable, but closer.
White definitely doesn’t have to be included. I only put him there because somebody has to take Forbort’s roster spot and White is as cheap as it gets while also being semi-competent. And even if he doesn’t work out, he can be buried with no cap issues (though I would guess he gets claimed on waivers).

Reactions: BlackFrancis

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If it comes down to it I think Sweeney would just bury Forbort in the minors, did it with Reilly last season so he's definitely willing. Would give them ~6.5mil in cap space to re-sign Frederic and Swayman, which should hopefully be enough depending on Freddy's ask.

Or now that I'm thinking about it, they could trade/bury Zboril, would give them the same cap relief. Bruins just don't have the assets to justify trading a 2nd for a pure cap dump rn, they'll find other ways to make space if need be.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
2nd + 3rd seems a bit steep. Maybe just the third or a slightly later pick, but honestly I'd be fine with taking Forbort without incentive, he fits a clear roster need. I'd be pretty content to have him at 3M for just one year. Plus he probably has some decent flip value at the deadline, especially with retention. There's enough win-win there already, maybe a small addition from Boston since their end is perhaps more necessity than desire.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
2nd + 3rd seems a bit steep. Maybe just the third or a slightly later pick, but honestly I'd be fine with taking Forbort without incentive, he fits a clear roster need. I'd be pretty content to have him at 3M for just one year. Plus he probably has some decent flip value at the deadline, especially with retention. There's enough win-win there already, maybe a small addition from Boston since their end is perhaps more necessity than desire.
It’s not 2nd + 3rd, it’s 2nd OR 3rd + prospect.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If it comes down to it I think Sweeney would just bury Forbort in the minors, did it with Reilly last season so he's definitely willing. Would give them ~6.5mil in cap space to re-sign Frederic and Swayman, which should hopefully be enough depending on Freddy's ask.

Or now that I'm thinking about it, they could trade/bury Zboril, would give them the same cap relief. Bruins just don't have the assets to justify trading a 2nd for a pure cap dump rn, they'll find other ways to make space if need be.
Ya, thinking about it more, a 2nd rounder, even if it’s in 2026, is probably a bit steep for $3M in space. I’d likely accept the 2025 3rd on its own, but I can see how Boston could potentially get away with burying him, though it wouldn’t be ideal.

Reactions: dugg133

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't think it will cost Boston that much. I also don't think White would be included.

What about something around Frederic + Forbort for Henrique?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So right now they have enough space to bring back Frederic + Swayman if they are able to squeeze one or both of them into taking one year deals. If Bergeron comes back, then he is either taking 900k + 2.5 million in bonuses for a last call, or they are moving someone out. Kind of need to wait until the team sees how much space it needs (if any) before talking about anything like this.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
If I’m Anaheim I’d take the original proposal all day long if it’s Forbort and a 2026 2nd.

Boston may have to end up moving Forbort if they intend on resigning Bergeron, Krejci, Frederic and Swayman.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If I’m Anaheim I’d take the original proposal all day long if it’s Forbort and a 2026 2nd.

Boston may have to end up moving Forbort if they intend on resigning Bergeron, Krejci, Frederic and Swayman.
I don't think anyone would have a tough time convincing Anaheim to take a deal like this. It's more of a question of what Boston is willing to part with to free up $3M in cap space. And that answer probably won't be known until they have an idea of how much those free agents will cost them.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Honestly, I would do Forbort for White. Any pick added on would just be a cherry on top.

This would be just like the Kulikov pick up last year. It’s advantageous for the Ducks to take the cap dump so I wouldn’t be greedy.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Unfair, you bolded your thread title. Unless my goddamn browser is acting up again. You do that, everybody eventually starts doing that, and soon we're all hysterically screaming. Let's not.

As to the topic... I'm not sure what you want Anaheim to do and to be this and the next season.

As they say,
Plato: to do is to be
Socrates: to be is to do
Sinatra: do be do be do

Reactions: Summer Rose

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Forbort is a valuable player for the Bruins. I don't know where the idea originated that he is some sort of deadweight. He is a monster on the PK and the Bruins acquired him because they were specifically looking to get bigger on the backend. The only reason to move Forbort would be to replace him with a more physical defensemen in the mold of a Kevin Miller/Adam McQuaid, but those guys cost $2-3 million per anyway.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think it will cost Boston that much. I also don't think White would be included.

What about something around Frederic + Forbort for Henrique?
Doesn't make sense for BOS.

This would actually add cap
Thinking Forbort + Frederic = ~5.3m vs. Henrique at 5.825 + whatever the D replacement on the roster for Forbort (say Mitchell at 775k) means BOS is adding 1.3 million on the cap for an older F that isn't really a need. I guess maybe you are thinking ANA retains, but even so doesn't make sense.

I think the plan is either to move cap create enough room to comfortably sign Frederic, Swayman and Bergeron OR move Frederic for futures, in which case they'd have more than enough to sign Swayman and Bergeron.

Moving Frederic and Forbort in a deal that adds Henrique but not enough room to sign Swayman and Bergeron doesn't make sense.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Forbort would probably be in the top four with Anaheim...he is still a quality defenseman who kills penalties, blocks shots and clears the net. He definitely has a role in the league. I could see Anaheim being interested for future considerations and then maybe flipping him at the deadline for a 2nd/3rd.

I wouldn't attach any picks from Boston's end

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Forbort would probably be in the top four with Anaheim...he is still a quality defenseman who kills penalties, blocks shots and clears the net. He definitely has a role in the league. I could see Anaheim being interested for future considerations and then maybe flipping him at the deadline for a 2nd/3rd.

I wouldn't attach any picks from Boston's end

Pretty accurate. He would likely be on the second pairing with Drysdale.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Honestly, I would do Forbort for White. Any pick added on would just be a cherry on top.

This would be just like the Kulikov pick up last year. It’s advantageous for the Ducks to take the cap dump so I wouldn’t be greedy.
I guess the main difference between those situations is Boston likely needs the extra cap space much more than Minnesota did last year. But yes, from a Ducks perspective it’s pretty similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad