Post-Game Talk: Bortuzzo - 2, Habs - 1

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Perron gif by TPB:

2015-01-10-23_55_25.gif

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The thing about having Sutter is that we can roll three lines during the regular season. Maybe he hasn't been playing his best lately, but he's still a top end 3C and there's no reason he shouldn't be getting near 20 min a game.

Not sure, however, if I want the fourth line playing more. Sill and Adams should be getting 5 a night, and we can do that because of what's listed above. Goc should be getting more, maybe spot shifts with some of the other lines.

Of course, all of this depends on everyone being healthy which will never happen with this team so forget it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
+ Despres: 3 assists in the last 4 games. All at ES.
- 4th line: almost every time the Pens got stuck in their own zone for an extended shift, the 4th line was on the ice. Way too much ice time for them. Poor offensive execution too. Very poor.
- Ehrhoff: please don't re-sign him. As others have said, he's good but not what the team needs at whatever his asking price will and he isn't going to come cheap.

Martin and Ehrhoff are vastly overrated by both the organization and fan base. Their cap space would be better utilized up front.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
.....and Bob Errey said, "The Pens are killing this penalty without Rob Scuderi on the ice!" As if that was some monumental task; only Scuderi, of all NHL'ers, can kill penalties. I wonder how the other 29 teams do it.....

I think he was saying this at about the same time, or just after, the Pens were set up in the Canadian's zone threatening to score a shorty:laugh:

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I think I'll be more concerned about time distribution if the times stay static after the trade deadline.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Martin and Ehrhoff are vastly overrated by both the organization and fan base. Their cap space would be better utilized up front.

Are you going to give more ice time to Despres & Bortuzzo? Before you say something stupid just keep in mind that when Ehrhoff and Martin are both healthy and getting plenty of TOI this team wins on most nights.;)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
.....and Bob Errey said, "The Pens are killing this penalty without Rob Scuderi on the ice!" As if that was some monumental task; only Scuderi, of all NHL'ers, can kill penalties. I wonder how the other 29 teams do it.....

The Pens had 3 shorthanded chances, at least two of them came with Despres on the ice. Not sure any of them came with Scuderi on the ice.

Is he (Scuderi) always in good position? Sure... but he lacks the foot speed and strength to do anything with it.

The way people talk about Scuderi's positioning and decision-making, they make it seem like Scuderi is never on for a goal against and that every Despres play leads to a 2-on-1.

I view Despres in the same way I view Letang (before you type up that sarcasm post, hold on!), not that Despres is as good as Letang, but they both take a lot of risks, and they both have the athletic ability to compensate for the times when those risks don't pay off.

Watch Paul Martin get caught deep in the offensive zone. Watch Ehrhoff, Bortuzzo or Scuderi.

Then watch Despres. He gets "caught", and then he skates and catches people. Or he makes a pinch at the blue line and either gets the puck or makes a play to prevent the opposing team from getting it.

Risks are only bad if you're incapable of handling the negative outcomes, which Despres is.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
The Pens had 3 shorthanded chances, at least two of them came with Despres on the ice. Not sure any of them came with Scuderi on the ice.

Is he (Scuderi) always in good position? Sure... but he lacks the foot speed and strength to do anything with it.

The way people talk about Scuderi's positioning and decision-making, they make it seem like Scuderi is never on for a goal against and that every Despres play leads to a 2-on-1.

I view Despres in the same way I view Letang (before you type up that sarcasm post, hold on!), not that Despres is as good as Letang, but they both take a lot of risks, and they both have the athletic ability to compensate for the times when those risks don't pay off.

Watch Paul Martin get caught deep in the offensive zone. Watch Ehrhoff, Bortuzzo or Scuderi.

Then watch Despres. He gets "caught", and then he skates and catches people. Or he makes a pinch at the blue line and either gets the puck or makes a play to prevent the opposing team from getting it.

Risks are only bad if you're incapable of handling the negative outcomes, which Despres is.

About the only thing I like about Scuderi, at this point in his career, is his ability to take up a lot of ice around the net. I felt like the Pens were missing this previously and there were too many passing and shooting lanes that were left open by our smallish D. I think Depres and Bortuzzo can accomplish this now and the negative's of Scud's lack of speed and puck handling skills far outweigh the positives of his ability to merely eat up space. It was sad, last night, watching Fluery outskate Scuderi to the puck on one of the turnover's. Luckily Fluery recognized that and got the jump on whichever Canadian it was that was going to get a free breakaway shot on him. Maybe it was because the puck was going away from Scuds and towards Fluery but it really looked as though Fluery was able to skate faster than Suderi even with all that equipment on.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I thought we would never see Adams out there with Crosby again, then last game happened. I share Cole's feelings regarding player management, it has gotten progressively worse. Hopefully a healthy lineup (as if that will ever happen) will mean less head scratchers from MJ. Other things...

- the PP still sucks, even thought it scored in OT. It's become stationary and predictable, and now you're seeing teams not respect it all.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Isn't this the guy that MTL hated, who made all of these condescending tweets, then he looked stupid when DB crashed and burned?

Oh, it's him.

He was a Gladams defender and loved everything Bylsma. He scoffed at my mention of Adams as a big minus player and said something like "If you want to talk analytics come find me"

Turns out Gladams' stats were awful and he wound up blocking me:laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Are you going to give more ice time to Despres & Bortuzzo? Before you say something stupid just keep in mind that when Ehrhoff and Martin are both healthy and getting plenty of TOI this team wins on most nights.;)

Yes to Despres and Harrington and 8 million in cap space. Fyi, the Pens have gone your route the past 5 years and have zero to show for it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh, it's him.

He was a Gladams defender and loved everything Bylsma. He scoffed at my mention of Adams as a big minus player and said something like "If you want to talk analytics come find me"

Turns out Gladams' stats were awful and he wound up blocking me:laugh:

Ya, I thought that was him. Anyone dumb enough to defend a hill based on Gladams being effective players, isn't someone to take seriously. You don't need stats to see they blow.

I mostly roll my eyes at stats people like that. Stats only tell part of the story. As I touched on in another thread, the only real way to gauge a player's two way play is by using the Neilson system. When you assign stats using video breakdown, it's much more powerful and accurate.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Also... keep Kunitz on the 3rd. He showed a pulse there. Keep 'em there. And stop it w/ that 4th line. They played the best way possible and still they are in their zone for minutes and minutes.

I don't really like Kunitz on the 3rd line. I think I would try Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist, Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett. Then we could roll Spaling/Comeau-Sutter-Downie on the 3rd line.

That's what I would try first anyway. If he blew there, then we could switch him out with Comeau. I know Comeau was hot before he went down, but I'm not sure if he can maintain that level of play. He brings more energy to the 3rd line, so that's what I would try first, but we've got a good back-up plan.

Also, re Bortuzzo: people need to remember how young this guy is. I really believe in 2-3 years, he's going to be a REALLY good, legit 2nd pairing guy. Most Dmen take a while to mature, and Bortuzzo will follow that path. He won't be the exception like Maatta. He may be a 3rd pairing guy for us in the future because of our depth, but he's a guy I want to keep around and will be a really good player for us long term. It's good that he's getting the experience now. His minutes will go down when Maatta comes back.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ I'm definitely willing to wait on Bort, but he's a #7 right now. They are trying to treat him like a #4. It's annoying. Especially when we have a hidden gem ready to take that #4 spot that keeps playing well but gets put out as the #6/#7 (hint hint... Despres).

And for Kunitz - as much as we hate Spaling for being vanilla, the last 2 games he's outplayed most of Kunitz's season. Small window, but it is what it is. Kunitz needs to earn his spot.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't really like Kunitz on the 3rd line. I think I would try Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist, Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett. Then we could roll Spaling/Comeau-Sutter-Downie on the 3rd line.

That's what I would try first anyway. If he blew there, then we could switch him out with Comeau. I know Comeau was hot before he went down, but I'm not sure if he can maintain that level of play. He brings more energy to the 3rd line, so that's what I would try first, but we've got a good back-up plan.

Also, re Bortuzzo: people need to remember how young this guy is. I really believe in 2-3 years, he's going to be a REALLY good, legit 2nd pairing guy. Most Dmen take a while to mature, and Bortuzzo will follow that path. He won't be the exception like Maatta. He may be a 3rd pairing guy for us in the future because of our depth, but he's a guy I want to keep around and will be a really good player for us long term. It's good that he's getting the experience now. His minutes will go down when Maatta comes back.

I'm down for that, keeps everyone in there preferred positions and Malkin is a beast right now so it doesn't matter that he's getting the worst of the top 6 wingers.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He's the worst. Even the Pensblog guys - who can be sort of douchey - don't take themselves seriously.

This ****ing guy thinks he's Red Fisher though. Completely clueless when it comes to anything hockey. To make matters worse, it's clowns like him and Rossi who influence the "casual fan" who unfortunately make up most fan bases. They don't understand what they're watching either, but because a guy has a press pass, what he says must be right.

didn't see it here, just posted on Craig Adams thread about this ******,

he is the worst, by a mile,

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Ha, I think he was almost less excited than a lot of us here when he scored.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
^^ I'm definitely willing to wait on Bort, but he's a #7 right now. They are trying to treat him like a #4. It's annoying. Especially when we have a hidden gem ready to take that #4 spot that keeps playing well but gets put out as the #6/#7 (hint hint... Despres).

Re. Despres: the one upside with playing him a bit less this season is that it will make him less expensive to re-sign this summer on his next contract. We may be able to lock him up to a 4, 5 or 6 year deal that is in the range of $3 million, rather than what Olli may get, since Despres is playing less. It may be frustrating now, but will benefit us in the long run.

And let's forget, Bortuzzo will likely be the one scratched when Maatta comes back, while Despres will be playing every game. That's more important than the odd game where Bort plays a bigger role, and will keep the re-signing of Bort more reasonable, as well.

Also, while we might be frustrated that Despres isn't playing more, EVERYONE (not just the Pens broadcasters & journalists, but others, such as on HNIC yesterday) have mentioned how much more opportunity Despres has got this year. Sure, perhaps some of us want him to get more, but for Simon to play every game, get meaningful minutes on the PK and some on the PP, etc..., are still enough to help him really develop and take a big jump into the top-4 for next season. In short, we may want to see even more of him, but I would completely reject the notion that we are hindering his development in any way. Rather, I see this as the best developmental year for Simon in his whole career since we drafted him, and by a big margin.

I'm down for that, keeps everyone in there preferred positions and Malkin is a beast right now so it doesn't matter that he's getting the worst
of the top 6 wingers.

Yes, and Kunitz can shoot the puck. There's no question about that, and it's why he's been successful with Sid over the past few years. Where he is lacking right now is with that same relentless speed & determination on the forecheck and creating opportunities in the offensive zone; but he can still shoot the puck, and Malkin & Bennett will get it to him. Exhibit A, the goal Kunitz scored that Bennett set him up for a few games back, when Sutter was at C. So Bennett, who has shown chemistry with Geno, may also have or develop some good chemistry with Kunitz. And Kunitz will have to do less heavy lifting on that line than he did with Sid, yet will have better playmakers than on the 3rd line, so it could be a perfect fit.

Seeing Sid like that definitely brings a smile to my face.

Agreed, and I think as much as the smile was about winning, it really seemed like it was equally or more about him breaking out of his drought. Hopefully this can give him a spark that he hasn't shown for a while. There's still time to go for the Art Ross, Sidney. :)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think with Kunitz what we're seeing now is that it was Dupuis not Kunitz who opened up space on that line. With nobody to open up space to let Kunitz shoot except for Sid, he's getting a lot less chances to shoot in good spots.

Dupuis helped that line a lot with his speed and relentless forechecking. We haven't really replaced what Dupuis brought to that line yet. Perron brings the skill but not really the forechecking and speed. He can win board battles but he doesn't always have the speed for puck retrievals.

That line needs a speedy guy with skill. Aka Hornqvist.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I love hornqvist, but I don think of him as a speedy guy with skill. max effort for sure, but nothing close to pascals wheels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad