Post-Game Talk: Bortuzzo - 2, Habs - 1

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There's a real chance that Maatta doesn't come back this year.

The Pens should be trying to find playoff pairings right now. Bortuzzo playing 17+ minutes a night isn't going to help them.

penguins2946*

If Maatta doesn't come back this year, the Pens need to run with:

Despres-Letang
Martin-Ehrhoff
Harrington-Bortuzzo/Scuderi

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's a real chance that Maatta doesn't come back this year.

The Pens should be trying to find playoff pairings right now. Bortuzzo playing 17+ minutes a night isn't going to help them.

There are a few issues going on right now.

- Bort can't play with Scuds. I thought they would be ok together for a small stretch, but even that looks like it was a bad idea.

- DP needs to be playing or sent down

- Ehrhoff and Martin have looked bad since coming back from their injuries. I'm hoping they will round into form, but the two haven't been very good this season. Ehrhoff has out together about a dozen solids games, while the rest have been pedestrian.

They are vets though, so they aren't going to be put on a third pair with Scuds. That's just how much coaches roll.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think with Kunitz what we're seeing now is that it was Dupuis not Kunitz who opened up space on that line. With nobody to open up space to let Kunitz shoot except for Sid, he's getting a lot less chances to shoot in good spots.

Dupuis helped that line a lot with his speed and relentless forechecking. We haven't really replaced what Dupuis brought to that line yet. Perron brings the skill but not really the forechecking and speed. He can win board battles but he doesn't always have the speed for puck retrievals.

That line needs a speedy guy with skill. Aka Hornqvist.

Horny isn't fast or skilled, but he makes up for it with his crazy work ethic. Guy just doesn't stop.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Re. Despres: the one upside with playing him a bit less this season is that it will make him less expensive to re-sign this summer on his next contract. We may be able to lock him up to a 4, 5 or 6 year deal that is in the range of $3 million, rather than what Olli may get, since Despres is playing less. It may be frustrating now, but will benefit us in the long run.

And let's forget, Bortuzzo will likely be the one scratched when Maatta comes back, while Despres will be playing every game. That's more important than the odd game where Bort plays a bigger role, and will keep the re-signing of Bort more reasonable, as well.

Also, while we might be frustrated that Despres isn't playing more, EVERYONE (not just the Pens broadcasters & journalists, but others, such as on HNIC yesterday) have mentioned how much more opportunity Despres has got this year. Sure, perhaps some of us want him to get more, but for Simon to play every game, get meaningful minutes on the PK and some on the PP, etc..., are still enough to help him really develop and take a big jump into the top-4 for next season. In short, we may want to see even more of him, but I would completely reject the notion that we are hindering his development in any way. Rather, I see this as the best developmental year for Simon in his whole career since we drafted him, and by a big margin.

I want you to be right, but if I'm to look at just the actions (no words) of HCMJ, then I believe Despres will likely be scratched more often than we are all prepared to go through.

Michael8771*

Maatta from what I understand is still a go for this season. He might be out till early March however. I guess this could change but as of now the team remains hopeful he'll be back for the last 12 or so games.

With that in mind if they want to beef up the top six they can't be waiting on Maatta in doing so.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I want you to be right, but if I'm to look at just the actions (no words) of HCMJ, then I believe Despres will likely be scratched more often than we are all prepared to go through.

Eh, Despres was a healthy scratch once, has generally been kept on a stable pairing, albeit one with Scuderi, and has been getting PK time. He might get scratched occasionally to keep someone else from sitting for too long if they ever get healthy (yeah...) but I doubt it will be tantrum worthy even if there is one.

The bigger concern is Maatta not coming back. So that probably kills a Martin trade, which could also depend on Ehrhoff, and Bortuzzo being in the top 4 because no one but Despres can carry his royal anchorness well enough.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It was a hard-fought great win in a tough building against a good team.. And people are still finding ways to complain? Also, I thought that Sutter had a good game, he was dangling on a couple of occasions and looked dangerous. He definitely had some drive.

Crosby sooo deserved that goal. Perron was amazing in OT. Malkin was just Malkin..

That said, Metro race is a bloodbath now, Islanders, Rangers and Caps are winning winning winning winning. That´s why these 2 points are excellent.

Penguinzilla*

- That color commentator. Who was that? Not only did he swear but apparently every Penguins player was "frustrated" because of the Canadians awesomeness.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
- That color commentator. Who was that? Not only did he swear but apparently every Penguins player was "frustrated" because of the Canadians awesomeness.

Healy. And his swear was a weird shoehorned reference to the movie "Schitt's Creek", whose ads are getting pretty heavy rotation on CBC right now.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
When your team is losing, Healey is literally the worst guy in the world to be listening to. Only adds to your frustration.

Penguinzilla*

Healy. And his swear was a weird shoehorned reference to the movie "Schitt's Creek", whose ads are getting pretty heavy rotation on CBC right now.

Oh, lol. I didn't get that Schitt's Creek reference. That was pretty fun. Otherwise he was pretty bad

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but when we were all healthy for like 5 games, despres played more often than bortz

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When your team is losing, Healey is literally the worst guy in the world to be listening to. Only adds to your frustration.

When Hughson was going on about how Perron idolized Kovalev and wore the tongues of his skates out like Kovy, was an RH shot on the left side, always tried to copy his practice vids etc., Healey says "Yeah, he's got it all except the skill".

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Did not see this:

2015-01-10-21_21_08.gif

Ow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad