Post-Game Talk: Booooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Not buying it. Look no further than Andreas Athanasiou

Sproul just isn't a good NHL hockey player.

I think so many are in love with Sproul's pedigree that they will make excuses and continually extend the leash. The reality, as you put it, is he is not a very good player. Specifically, he seems to have a very low IQ/awareness.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I do not understand this comment. Are you saying Sproul would be a better hockey player if he wasn't benched?

How else is a young player who makes mistakes supposed to learn from his mistakes? You can only gain experience if you play games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not buying it. Look no further than Andreas Athanasiou

Sproul just isn't a good NHL hockey player.
So now every young player responds to the same tactics the same way, and it's one size fits all?

I'm not saying Sproul is a good player. But the fact that AA has a small sample size of playing well after getting benched does not mean it was handled well, let alone they it should be a universal practice.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So now every young player responds to the same tactics the same way, and it's one size fits all?

I'm not saying Sproul is a good player. But the fact that AA has a small sample size of playing well after getting benched does not mean it was handled well, let alone they it should be a universal practice.

If a guy can't handle being benched I have some serious questions about their mental fortitude. As they say, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."

I'd also add that a smart player should be able to learn simply from watching. Obviously, you will need opportunities to apply and develop what you learn, but any player worth his salt won't be damaged by spending some time in the pressbox.

There is no need nor reason to coddle Sproul

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If a guy can't handle being benched I have some serious questions about their mental fortitude. As they say, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."

I'd also add that a smart player should be able to learn simply from watching. Obviously, you will need opportunities to apply and develop what you learn, but any player worth his salt won't be damaged by spending some time in the pressbox.

There is no need nor reason to coddle Sproul.
And there is an entire spectrum in between coddling a player and treating him like dirt.

If you want to bench him for a few games, fine. But when the bulk of the roster is filled with players making mistakes, it seems disproportionately harsh to keep pulling the kid while letting others play lousy in his stead.

Teach him a lesson when needed. But don't pretend he's a pylon in the midst of All-Stars.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How else is a young player who makes mistakes supposed to learn from his mistakes? You can only gain experience if you play games.

His mistakes are so pee-wee, that he should have probably learned them in kindergarten.

It didn't work for Kindl, nothing did. I expect the same from Sproul. Somewhere Kindl is pointing and laughing at Sproul's defensive deficiencies and thinking to himself "wow, that's just plain bad".

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
And there is an entire spectrum in between coddling a player and treating him like dirt.

If you want to bench him for a few games, fine. But when the bulk of the roster is filled with players making mistakes, it seems disproportionately harsh to keep pulling the kid while letting others play lousy in his stead.

Teach him a lesson when needed. But don't pretend he's a pylon in the midst of All-Stars.

Treating him like dirt? holy hyperbole. Guy has played half the games this season while being put in a position to succeed (read OZ starts, pp time and sheltered role on the 3rd pairing). That's not treating him like dirt, infact, that's the middle ground you speak of. What more can they do when the guy continually makes costly mistakes that directly lead to goals against?

God forbid they actually teach accountability to a rookie who has a history of neglecting his defensive responsibilities.

Last edited:

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
His mistakes are so pee-wee, that he should have probably learned them in kindergarten.

It didn't work for Kindl, nothing did. I expect the same from Sproul. Somewhere Kindl is pointing and laughing at Sproul's defensive deficiencies and thinking to himself "wow, that's just plain bad".

Didn't Mike Green make the same mistake at least once? Not to mention one those odd man rushes that was 'given up' when he pinched was because somebody took a wild super hard shot that missed the goalie and bounced to the blue line. Its a team game and when you see a d man in front of you, you likely shouldn't do low reward high risk plays like that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Treating him like dirt? holy hyperbole. Guy has played half the games this season while being put in a position to succeed (read OZ starts, pp time and sheltered role on the 3rd pairing). That's not treating him like dirt, infact, that's the middle ground you speak of. What more can they do when the guy continually makes costly mistakes that directly lead to goals against?

God forbid they actually teach accountability to a rookie who has a history of neglecting his defensive responsibilities.

That line between teaching accountability and making him too worried to play his game can be thin, though. I'm fine benching a guy for a game if he does something too horribly stupid or repeats a mistake. Four or five games, though, when our other options aren't exactly improvements? We're cutting our nose to spite our face in the name of accountability here.

Likely he ends up as waiver fodder regardless, but he's also a guy with the type of ceiling where we have more to lose not playing him at this point.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
You dog it on the backcheck? I am 1,000,000% OK with benching that guy. Hustle doesn't require skill.

Really, you think AA and Sproul were benched for "mistakes"?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think so many are in love with Sproul's pedigree that they will make excuses and continually extend the leash. The reality, as you put it, is he is not a very good player. Specifically, he seems to have a very low IQ/awareness.

I've been one of the biggest Sproul fans since he was drafted. I'd like to see him traded for his own benefit. He had one good pro season and that was last year under Todd Nelson. Blashill has a pretty awful record when it comes to d-men, better to get something for Sproul and let him have success elsewhere. He'll never develop under Blashill. I held out hope with Houda but largely our defense is still awful at moving the puck. It's improved with Kronwall and Smtih out of the lineup but it's still pretty brutal.

You won't get much for Sproul but if nothing happens he's probably going to turn into Jakub Kindl 2.0 and I'd hate for that to happen to a guy with the talent he's got.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You dog it on the backcheck? I am 1,000,000% OK with benching that guy. Hustle doesn't require skill.

Really, you think AA and Sproul were benched for "mistakes"?

Have you really been seeing them dog it that much?

I see a team prone to long bouts of miserable play where they look to varying amounts just plain bad, lost, confused, and disorganized. Do they coast at times? Of course, but does it deserve to be benched for five games while we play Brian Lashoff instead? Not likely.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Might as well play Sproul and see if he learns from his mistakes. Detroit isn't making the playoffs regardless so its better off to see if he can eventually play at this level. You get more out of that than seeing how many turnovers Smith can have or how many times Jensen can get beat or how many seconds Lashoff can be on the ice before something bad happens

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sproul has played 22 NHL games. 21 of them have been on a completely dysfunctional team where one of his biggest strengths (PP) simply isn't being put to use.

Skill looks good with skill. Sproul may never turn into a top pairing guy, he may never stop making defensive errors. But he can absolutely move the puck, he can walk the blueline, he has a rocket shot that he can actually get on net, he can rush the puck (seriously did everyone miss that end-to-end rush he had in this game?). When we actually start inserting some more skill into this lineup my bet is he is one of those players that will suddenly start looking a lot better. Especially if he can develop his defensive game a bit more, which you have to let him try to do.

Blows my mind that the kid is getting so much critique on a team starved for any shred of skill on D, on a board screaming for a rebuild and youth movement. This is what you get. Kids making defensive errors, and you hope they learn.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I welcome his defensive lapses.

The moment of sheer beauty seeing a gazelle moving the puck up ice gracefully makes up for the goals against.

One must cling to moments of beauty in these dark times.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Developing one player might be at the expense of another or the team. I might prefer both Ouellet and Jensen to Sproul.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Have you really been seeing them dog it that much?

I see a team prone to long bouts of miserable play where they look to varying amounts just plain bad, lost, confused, and disorganized. Do they coast at times? Of course, but does it deserve to be benched for five games while we play Brian Lashoff instead? Not likely.

We need a coach.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Specifically, he seems to have a very low IQ/awareness.

This was my main takeaway on Sproul after the last game. I felt he pinched at the wrong times, gave up on plays too easily (failed to backcheck hard when he got caught pinching), and didn't use his size to clear the crease and help Mrazek out, instead letting Chicago players get several whacks at loose pucks in front of the net. As a D-man that is just not excusable. Nice right-handed shot, but at this point he needs to go back to GR and we need to play Lashoff instead. He'll produce just as much offensively while being more sound defensively.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This was my main takeaway on Sproul after the last game. I felt he pinched at the wrong times, gave up on plays too easily (failed to backcheck hard when he got caught pinching), and didn't use his size to clear the crease and help Mrazek out, instead letting Chicago players get several whacks at loose pucks in front of the net. As a D-man that is just not excusable. Nice right-handed shot, but at this point he needs to go back to GR and we need to play Lashoff instead. He'll produce just as much offensively while being more sound defensively.
This board would have wanted Erik Karlsson traded in his first season or two. And probably Subban too. Heck, most good PMDs in the league look pretty bad early on. Especially those who start on bad teams.

Brian Lashoff is trash. Absolute trash.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He'll produce just as much offensively while being more sound defensively.

Yes, Lashoff's 0/0 this year and career numbers are a clear indication that he'll provide precisely as much (if not more) offense than Sproul has this year. Absolutely brilliant. Really. Unbelievable insight.

I have no idea why we're still debating playing or sitting Sproul. Him in the lineup is better for his development than him sitting. Him in the lineup doesn't keep someone else on a developmental track from also being in the lineup. The team is dog crap with or without him. Why is this even an argument? There's no benefit to playing Lashoff or Smith or, frankly, Kronwall at this point. The defense is trash no matter who gets rolled out, so maybe go with the guy who actually has upside, instead of the career AHLers and the guys who would be 7/8s on any competent team.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
:rolleyes: As though I'd suggested anything beyond "he has upside", with all that comes with and implies about his current ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad