BOOOOOO Edmonton Oilers, BOOOOO Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think we win the cup with the team we have now at all. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov won't see a playoff game in Oiler uniforms.

No forward in the NHL would see a playoff game with the defence we ice every night. Maaaaaybe Crosby. Maaaaaaybe.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Defence makes a huge difference though ... we all talk about the days of our hard working forwards, but basically the same forward group in 2006 minus Pronger went on to net 71 points the following season ... which is basically what this group is headed for and this group quite honestly had more serious injury problems.

So basically Pronger is the difference between a 71 point team (which is around what this year's Oilers are) and a Stanley Cup finalist.

Oilers lost Peca, Smyth, Spacek and Samsonov off that team
Not just Pronger

Major losses

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey guys.

I have a question. I notice 2 games ago clendening only played 6 minutes of ice time after playing 16-18 for the previous few games. And then he wasnt in the lineup this game.

Did he royally mess up? Or did he get injured?

IIRC he had some bad gaffes recently not sure if it was that game or not. I think that the Oilers know what he is at this point and want to give Pardy and Gryba if he returns before seasons end a chance to show what they've got.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers lost Peca, Smyth, Spacek and Samsonov off that team
Not just Pronger

Major losses

They also added Sykora, Roloson for the whole year, and Smid added. They had Smyth until the deadline, but were well out of playoff spot. This group has had no McDavid for 37 games, no Klefbom for 50 games on top of a myriad of other injuries.

It goes to show though "heart & guts" doesn't take you anywhere if your defence can't move the puck out of their zone.

Hockey is a team game today more than ever. Even if you look at the Calgary Flames ... is Jarome Iginla a loser? Attitude problem? He couldn't get the Flames into the playoffs for like seven years. Is that his fault or management's fault?

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I liked those years too but "been there done that"

These tough years will be worth it in the end. When you are the 1998 Oilers you never get the talent you need to win the cup. We are closer now than we were then

Ottawa Senators win a Presidents trophy and were perennial Cup contenders pre-salary cap era...through drafting and development
Oilers haven't been able to draft for decades

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Hey guys.

I have a question. I notice 2 games ago clendening only played 6 minutes of ice time after playing 16-18 for the previous few games. And then he wasnt in the lineup this game.

Did he royally mess up? Or did he get injured?

Pretty sure that was the game he was basically responsible for the 2 goals against

Edit: yup the anahiem game. . Check out the gdt for the pitchforks, it was bad

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No need for insults. Nothing I'm saying is unreasonable and fans around the league recognize the importance of developing through the draft

It was a tongue in cheek comment... I didn't mean to insult so sorry if it was taken that way. :)

It just reminded me of the "visually improving" and "progressing" comments the old regime used to make, yet the team is still in 30th even though we are well into the rebuild process and should be seeing some shards of evidence that the team is "actually" better rather than "visually" better.

30th is 30th... and relative to the rest of the NHL teams, they are still very close to being the worst team in the NHL... the exact same position they've been in for at least half a decade... and counting.

edit...

One thing I will say is that the league seems to be at an all time high in terms of parity... just last season there were 4 teams with a goal differential of -50 or worse (and 2 were worse than -100)... this season there may be no teams that finish with a goals differential of -50 or worse.

This tightening up of other poor teams has "hurt" the Oilers in a relative sense because even though they have improved their goals differential quite markedly... they are still near the bottom of the heap so relatively they are still near the worst... although now they have a smaller step to make in order to become a "mediocre" team rather than the awful team they were last year. :)

To go from -85 to -45 in goals differential is trending in the right direction obviously... but can they continue that trend and get to at least even (an average team)... or will they stagnate and remain a minus team going forward... that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
anyone want to take back their opinion that the team turned the corner, or played well since the "reset"?

I almost feel bad for the people who have continued to pay for this hockey over the last 10 years.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
anyone want to take back their opinion that the team turned the corner, or played well since the "reset"?

I almost feel bad for the people who have continued to pay for this hockey over the last 10 years.

Do we count games before mandated days off? I don't think we should. What person should be expected to work hard if they know they don't have to answer for it within the next 36 or so hours? :)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I do feel bad for them. If you're buying tickets to the Oilers you deserve so much more than what you're getting from them. Worst run organization in the history of professional sports.

If this team was in Europe they would have been regulated down to the ECHL 5 or 6 years ago.

We are the complete opposite of the Redwings and the Hawks.

Hall, Hopkins, Eberle and Yakupov need to be traded for 2 top 4 d-men, a middle six forward and draft picks.

When we did this rebuild we spoiled the hell out of our young players giving them this entitled attitude and they got into this stupid routine of forgetting what it means to be a professional athlete. Just listen to Eberle's past post game interview. He doesn't seem to care that we just lost the last game we'll ever play in our own arena.

They have no respect for the history of our organization and they don't give a damn about how many people put tons of money into this sport which ultimately leads to them making a ****loads of money just to play a sport.

Get rid of them all.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Hall, Hopkins, Eberle and Yakupov need to be traded for 2 top 4 d-men, a middle six forward and draft picks.

When we did this rebuild we spoiled the hell out of our young players giving them this entitled attitude and they got into this stupid routine of forgetting what it means to be a professional athlete. Just listen to Eberle's past post game interview. He doesn't seem to care that we just lost the last game we'll ever play in our own arena.

They have no respect for the history of our organization and they don't give a damn about how many people put tons of money into this sport which ultimately leads to them making a ****loads of money just to play a sport.

Get rid of them all.

Yeah just look at the teams we've built around these guys. A veritable treasure trove of Grade -A talent on D and in net squandered by lazy pouters up front who don't know how good they had it.

:sarcasm:

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Taylor Hall has to be the most overrated player I've ever seen wear Oilers silks. The amount of homer love for him is amazing. He IS the core that we are trying to purge. He was our first pick and didn't lead the Oilers anywhere besides lottery finishes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Taylor Hall has to be the most overrated player I've ever seen wear Oilers silks. The amount of homer love for him is amazing. He IS the core that we are trying to purge. He was our first pick and didn't lead the Oilers anywhere besides lottery finishes.

Yet when given a rounded team he was an all-star at last year's world championships that had an undefeated team canada that was beyond dominate.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Time for me to slog up an name from the past and take all sorts of abuse for revisiting this one player.

Shawn Horcoff, as most of you know I ranted against him mightily for years and I still think he was, other than Shayne Corson the worst caption the oilers have ever had.

His level of caring about winning and attitude in general is showing up full force in our younger (now getting older) players.

Be in good shape, don't care a great deal about losing, do only the part of the game that you do well, do not sacrifice mind or body to go to that next level, collect your money.

Eberle right now is the offensive version of Horcoff. Whereas Eberle can't or won't be a checker or give that extra effort, Horcoff played defense always bailed out of the ozone early and other than gifted pp time never bothered to take a chance to create a scoring play.

The team has morphed into a bunch of Horcoffs, collect the cheque, don't get too upset at losing, don't bother to become a more complete player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was a tongue in cheek comment... I didn't mean to insult so sorry if it was taken that way. :)

It just reminded me of the "visually improving" and "progressing" comments the old regime used to make, yet the team is still in 30th even though we are well into the rebuild process and should be seeing some shards of evidence that the team is "actually" better rather than "visually" better.

30th is 30th... and relative to the rest of the NHL teams, they are still very close to being the worst team in the NHL... the exact same position they've been in for at least half a decade... and counting.

edit...

One thing I will say is that the league seems to be at an all time high in terms of parity... just last season there were 4 teams with a goal differential of -50 or worse (and 2 were worse than -100)... this season there may be no teams that finish with a goals differential of -50 or worse.

This tightening up of other poor teams has "hurt" the Oilers in a relative sense because even though they have improved their goals differential quite markedly... they are still near the bottom of the heap so relatively they are still near the worst... although now they have a smaller step to make in order to become a "mediocre" team rather than the awful team they were last year. :)

To go from -85 to -45 in goals differential is trending in the right direction obviously... but can they continue that trend and get to at least even (an average team)... or will they stagnate and remain a minus team going forward... that remains to be seen.

I will definitely say that there is no such thing as 'visual' improvement because the team can look good and then look awful week to week. I wouldn't trust any development until we see results in the win loss record. The team is broken but we have some great individual talent.

Once the team is better formed the rise in the standings will be quick. Despite our lack of progress in the standings, the holes on the team have been slowly but steadily filled. Even after drafting Yakupov we still needed another top six center, top defense, a starting goalie, a reliable coach, and a better GM. We needed better defensive depth and more physicality as well. The only thing on that list we haven't got is the top defense, and also we probably need a 3C now.

Imo the only reason we haven't seen any progress in the standings yet is because our rebuild was all backwards, with us getting wingers first and the defense late. That doesn't mean it won't work in the end, and I don't believe that any players we have are 'ruined', although several core players may need to be traded to fill the holes we have.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yeah just look at the teams we've built around these guys. A veritable treasure trove of Grade -A talent on D and in net squandered by lazy pouters up front who don't know how good they had it.

:sarcasm:

Yeah I hear ya there.

Before Talbot came in I honestly can't remember if we've had a goalie I've respected since Rolson. Dubby had some flashes but our previous coaching staff destroyed him.

As for the D... I blame that on K-Lowe.
I don't understand the details of building a productive farm team, but we've gotten very little out of the d-men we've drafted and IMO that comes from not setting your farm team up properly. Klefbom (Who was looking good in Europe playing against adults before he came over here and Davidson are the only two d-men who've come through our system ever accomplish anything significant.

We'll there's Petry but if I'm remembering things correctly he hardly spent any time in the AHL after leaving college. We drafted a bunch of D-men in the years that we drafted Hall and Hopkins, but most of them fizzled out. Marincin got annoyed with being here and started caring about playing hockey again after being traded to Toronto. I think that says something about how we've handled our prospects over the past decade.

But yeah. No d means the forwards don't get a lot of help, but it's not like we're using to seeing Yakupov, Eberle or Hall doing anything to help them out. They provide as little defensive support as humanly possible.

How do you think Hall, Yak and Eberle would fare playing in St. Louis? Wouldn't their coach literally eat them alive? If your team has a crappy group of d-men shouldn't that motivate you even more to give better support to the guys on the back end so that they don't cost the team so many goals?

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
He was one of our best defensive forwards.

To be fair, his playoff performance highlighted just how average his regular season was. I get it, it's all relative - a better post-season doesn't reduce the value of the previous 82 games. But short of some sneaky revisionist history underway in my own noggin, I recall Peca playing fairly uninspired hockey until The Tournament.

I guess some stats would prove the point one way or the other.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

I think you might be watching the wrong sport if you think one player can make that big a difference to a team's fortunes.

Marcel Dionne, Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash, Ilya Kovalchuk, Alex Ovechkin are just a few players who never led their teams anywhere. They must be overrated slugs too. :shakehead

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
there is a fanbase that has supported this team (as bad as its been) for the last decade and those players showed up on saturday and spit in all of their faces.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The culture is bad because you HAVEN'T made wholesale changes.

It's quite concerning that you even had to say that.

Over the past 10 years we've for the most part just been reshuffling all of the cards we didn't want in our hand.

For many years we've had this habit of keeping players around until they're about to become free agents and then we trade them for pennies compared to what we could have gotten for them a few years earlier.

To think that we could have gotten Seguin for Eberle and Hemsky. That was a huge screw-up on K-Lowe's part.

I refuse to believe that we'll be forced to endeavour another year of Oilers not trading away any of the big kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad