BOOOOOO Edmonton Oilers, BOOOOO Oilers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm still ****ing pissed about the game yesterday. Blow it up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's just your opinion.

Hall is a top 5 player at his position. Perhaps addressing actual issues with the team will lead to Hall working here.
If Hall is actually a problem in the locker room and brings the team down, would you want to move him?

To me if he is than absolutely move him.

Originally Posted By*

That's just your opinion.

Hall is a top 5 player at his position. Perhaps addressing actual issues with the team will lead to Hall working here.

Our goal is to move Hall to ensure McDavid is put in a position to succeed.

And for those saying you cant win without forwards, you conveniently left out the part where we keep mcdavid, draisatl, maroon, and whoever we pick up in FA. That's more than enough talent upfront that we could afford to move some wingers for defence.

We have an embarrasment of riches at forward, but no.. We want to hang on for dear life to these underachievers.

Cut your ties and move on already

McDeathbyCheerios*

And for those saying you cant win without forwards, you conveniently left out the part where we keep mcdavid, draisatl, maroon, and whoever we pick up in FA. That's more than enough talent upfront that we could afford to move some wingers for defence.

We have an embarrasment of riches at forward, but no.. We want to hang on for dear life to these underachievers.

If we move Hall and Eberle we keep our 1st this year.

RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yak, 2016 1st. At most you can move 3 of them.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
If Hall is actually a problem in the locker room and brings the team down, would you want to move him?

To me if he is than absolutely move him.

I agree. But there's zero indication that it's Hall. He has earned his ice time. If anything it's Eberle.

And even if it were Hall we would also need to address whatever it was that caused him to end up like that. I.e. Bring in legitimate veterans with a strong work ethic and professional attitude

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree. But there's zero indication that it's Hall. He has earned his ice time. If anything it's Eberle.

And even if it were Hall we would also need to address whatever it was that caused him to end up like that. I.e. Bring in legitimate veterans with a strong work ethic and professional attitude
Agreed. Anyone saying moving Hall on his own would fix things is on drugs. You move Hall because he has value and is causing issues with the team and then you need to bring in a legitimate vet.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Hall has achieved more than anyone else on the roster, including McDavid. You trade some else unless the price demands Hall. A bottom feeder "moving on" from someone that's top five at his position is one of the more hilarious things I've read on this forum.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Defense > Forwards every single time. Oilers might have to do something drastic and adopt a trap mentality.
There is no indication that this is true. If it were, the Predators and Blues would've been sharing dynasties instead of the Blackhawks and Kings.

You need talent everywhere.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hall has achieved more than anyone else on the roster, including McDavid. You trade some else unless the price demands Hall. A bottom feeder "moving on" from someone that's top five at his position is one of the more hilarious things I've read on this forum.

Still not much. If Hall gets you a really good defenseman you do it. Too long these goofs built around a flawed forward corps. Need to build around the back end.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's a big time BINGO! I would be very disappointed with Chia if he does not see this. There has to be NO FEAR. Sure Hall "might" turn out great somewhere else and good for him if he does but he will very likely never help us become a winning team here. It's almost selfish to keep him. Let him fly. Let him bloom somewhere else and all we can hope is to get some return that will help this team improve. Keeping him because we fear he may become great elsewhere is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. He won't work out here. Face it.

Trading Hall is a perfect example of the proper use of that expression.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
We can speculate all we want from external observations about which players are the problem and/or weak links. In the end, what matters is what was observed by management at team events, practices, video room sessions, in the dressing rooms, and the players' execution of the game plan on the ice. I am sure Chiarelli and McLellan have a pretty good sense after watching the team this past season across these venues. They didn't draft any of the players (outside of McDavid) so the pride factor will mean a lot less when it comes to shipping out what were considered previously as core players.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
18 hrs after the implosion. Over 700 posts. This is much worse than we thought . :help:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
18 hrs after the implosion. Over 700 posts. This is much worse than we thought . :help:

It was classic 2011-16 Oilers. Take a few steps forward with strong play against tough teams (SJ, LA, and Anaheim), apparently feel satisfied despite not being anywhere near a competitive NHL team, and then crap the bed on a public platform (HNIC against Calgary).

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
It was classic 2011-16 Oilers. Take a few steps forward with strong play against tough teams (SJ, LA, and Anaheim), apparently feel satisfied despite not being anywhere near a competitive NHL team, and then crap the bed on a public platform (HNIC against Calgary).

I actually feel worse at this point this season than I did last year. I really am kind of miffed that McDavid has to be exposed to this ****show even if its only for one year. Its not healthy and the mentality is greatly affecting him already. Bet Chia wishes he'd a reviewed last years game tapes and got rid of some baggage earlier.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
McDavid can carry the team, Hall has been dead weight for half the season. Even Nail looks better.

If you think Yakupov has looked better, you need to reevaluate how you watch the game.

McDavid, or any other single player, is incapable of carrying an entire team. This has been proven over and over again.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I actually feel worse at this point this season than I did last year. I really am kind of miffed that McDavid has to be exposed to this ****show even if its only for one year. Its not healthy and the mentality is greatly affecting him already. Bet Chia wishes he'd a reviewed last years game tapes and got rid of some baggage earlier.

Unfortunately, I do not think that would be enough as Chiarelli had to separate the players from Eakins for at least a season and see the results.

As others have floated in other threads for a long while, I think it may be time to overpay (either in a trade or UFA) to acquire a legitimate former star player who can impart the proper work ethic and away from the rink preparation into an impressionable young group of players. Jagr would be a long-shot UFA signing. Maybe agreeing to take on Chara's contract? It's a huge risk, and yet are we prepared to go another year with no veteran leaders on the team, who can speak from a history of success?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Can you imagine where this team would be if the Oilers didn't draw the Golden Ticket and landed McDavid? Scary !!!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can you imagine where this team would be if the Oilers didn't draw the Golden Ticket and landed McDavid? Scary !!!
(As opposed to the lofty position in the standings they occupy now...?)

I mean, this is why some of us (long-term) fans are now arguing to blow the whole thing up. I no longer care how good Taylor Hall is at his position comparatively; I only worry that for 6 years or more he's been infected with this franchise's losing culture (he's also wildly inconsistent, which we don't need either).

I just think that bringing any of that loser-mentality over to the new building to carry into the McDavid era is a mistake. If McDavid has to play the next three years with AHL-level players, and the Oilers miss the playoffs every year, I'm fine with that as long as this loser-thing is put to rest and the team gets a fresh start.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
(As opposed to the lofty position in the standings they occupy now...?)

I mean, this is why some of us (long-term) fans are now arguing to blow the whole thing up. I no longer care how good Taylor Hall is at his position comparatively; I only worry that for 6 years or more he's been infected with this franchise's losing culture (he's also wildly inconsistent, which we don't need either).

I just think that bringing any of that loser-mentality over to the new building to carry into the McDavid era is a mistake. If McDavid has to play the next three years with AHL-level players, and the Oilers miss the playoffs every year, I'm fine with that as long as this loser-thing is put to rest and the team gets a fresh start.

I think a measured response will be attempted first. Trade a few "core" players for positions of need, sign a veteran UFA or two, and see how the team plays with perhaps less talented forwards, and a better-rounded team. If that doesn't work, then I have no clue how the team will one day improve.

The silver-lining of players like Dubnyk, Petry, Perron, Schultz, etc... demonstrating value on other rosters is that it elevates the trade value of the Oilers current players. More GMs will be in on trades in an attempt to "reclaim" highly drafted players on the Oilers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Couldn't be more wrong. Add players with different skill sets that score in different ways and this team will score more as a whole. If you hadn't noticed, it is very hard to beat NHL caliber goalies from the perimeter. Add some bodies who create chaos in front of the net, screen goalies, and win board battles and suddenly the skill you keep will shine.

The Oilers are like a NBA team that has all world guards who can dribble out of a phone booth and nail the 3, but their center and powerforward are both 6'4".

Its fair point, and I don't disagree. If you follow my posting my ideal topsix sets are pairs and a third. The 3rd being a guy that can muck for the puck, go in the paint, screen etc. To this end a Maroon is ideal in topsix. Kassian sometimes too. I don't think Purcell did enough in that role and Pouliot is a mixed bag of motivation. When he's on he's quite good.

So I'm Ok with what you are saying there but you still need the people that are going to be bonafide producers and that generate and finish. Guys like Hall, Eberle, are not easily found. We would miss them if gone.

To me RNH needs to be on the block. First and foremost and not out of dislike but that's the most obvious redundant skillset now and the contract isn't so great going forward.

I would deal Nuge, the first pick, and whatever small offerings to pry a legit top pairing D that can be our #1 D.

I would retain Yak because he won't bring much in return and I see upside to his game. properly supported that is. Yak is a guy that should be rotated into topsix more often.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
McDavid can carry the team, Hall has been dead weight for half the season. Even Nail looks better.
You make the odd good point with your Eeyore shtick. And then you go and ruin it by posting something like this.
McDavid, or any other single player, is incapable of carrying an entire team. This has been proven over and over again.
And likewise no one player can sewer a team. Especially not the guy with the most goals.
Yet there you are with the knives out in every thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad