Value of: Boone Jenner

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:cbj

Columbus are in freefall, going 0-4-1 in their last 5 and winning just 1 of their last 8, including 3 losses to each of Nashville and Chicago, and thus look like a longshot to make the playoffs.

They also have 1-2 forwards (and 1 Dman) too many to protect for the expansion draft, so it would probably make sense to move a forward at the deadline.
  • Laine, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Nyquist, Jenner, Domi, Roslovic, Foligno (UFA), Nash (UFA)
  • Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov, Savard (UFA)
  • Korpisalo, Kivlenieks
With that in mind, what would be the cost to acquire Boone Jenner before the deadline? He has one more year beyond this season at a $3.75m AAV and $3.5m salary.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I count seven non-UFA forwards and three non-UFA defensemen in that writeup. And that's also assuming we bother to keep Domi given how he's playing.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If the Sabres traded for him i might be able to count the players that are good/I respect/ I like on one hand...so...trade him to the Sabres.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I count seven non-UFA forwards and three non-UFA defensemen in that writeup. And that's also assuming we bother to keep Domi given how he's playing.
Are they going to do a handshake deal with Foligno to avoid protecting him and resign him after expansion? That seems like an unnecessary risk as Seattle could easily offer him a lucrative contract considering that he'd be a nice addition for an expansion team as a lockerroom leader.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Jenner to the leafs is a perfect fit. What are the Jackets looking for

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jenner is not going to be traded unless somebody overpays and in today you can’t afford to do that for a guy who has basically solidified himself as a third line player. I like what he brings and would love him on the TML. Heck I think most teams would like them on their team but not at the expense at what the CBJ want.

The CBJ got bent over by MB and the Habs on the Anderson trade but the CBJ salvaged a decent trade with the Jets. I was highly skeptical that it would have worked out but Roslovic is really showing something. I don’t think Laine will stay long term but elite snipers are not easy to come by and I am sure they can flip him for another shiny new toy. As for Domi I think he gets traded or exposed in the expansion draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's zero expansion concern.

Are they going to do a handshake deal with Foligno to avoid protecting him and resign him after expansion? That seems like an unnecessary risk as Seattle could easily offer him a lucrative contract considering that he'd be a nice addition for an expansion team as a lockerroom leader.

If Foligno wants to come back he can come back. It's his call.

What sets the price for Jenner, to my mind, is that if the team is selling next season he can be rented out for a 1st rounder at that point. In the meantime the team could use him to steady the ship. The club doesn't have much jam left and much of that is Jenner. Foligno, Savard, and Nash can all be rented out this year, so no particular reason to move Jenner.

If they can get a late 1st for him next year, can you beat that offer this year? I'm saying I don't think a 2021 Avs 1st would make Jarmo do it.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Jenner is not going to be traded unless somebody overpays and in today you can’t afford to do that for a guy who has basically solidified himself as a third line player. I like what he brings and would love him on the TML. Heck I think most teams would like them on their team but not at the expense at what the CBJ want.

The CBJ got bent over by MB and the Habs on the Anderson trade but the CBJ salvaged a decent trade with the Jets. I was highly skeptical that it would have worked out but Roslovic is really showing something. I don’t think Laine will stay long term but elite snipers are not easy to come by and I am sure they can flip him for another shiny new toy. As for Domi I think he gets traded or exposed in the expansion draft.
What does an overpayment look like? What would CBJ be looking for in return?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The talks begin with a first round pick
For reference, last year there were only five 1st round picks moved at the deadline:
  • Goodrow and Coleman - got 1sts due to extremely low caphits and extra year term.
  • Pageau - one of the best 3C's in the league.
  • Zucker - was pacing for 20+ goals for the 4th straight season and Pittsburgh would get 4 playoff runs with him.
  • Skjei - top 4 D with 5 more years term.
With that in mind, does Jenner at $3.75m AAV have the value to command a 1st+?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
There's zero expansion concern.

If Foligno wants to come back he can come back. It's his call.

What sets the price for Jenner, to my mind, is that if the team is selling next season he can be rented out for a 1st rounder at that point. In the meantime the team could use him to steady the ship. The club doesn't have much jam left and much of that is Jenner. Foligno, Savard, and Nash can all be rented out this year, so no particular reason to move Jenner.

If they can get a late 1st for him next year, can you beat that offer this year? I'm saying I don't think a 2021 Avs 1st would make Jarmo do it.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Regarding Foligno, what do you think he'd cost for the Avs at the deadline?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like he’s a player who his fan base thinks is worth a lot more than what he would get in a trade given his production. Ala Sam Bennett.

That being said I think a lot of teams would love to have Jenner, I guess the question is where does he slot on a contender and if he is a bottom six addition who is giving up a 1st for him?

Also, if CBus moves him are they doing it for picks or pieces.

Reactions: Richard88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For reference, last year there were only five 1st round picks moved at the deadline:
  • Goodrow and Coleman - got 1sts due to extremely low caphits and extra year term.
  • Zucker - was pacing for 20+ goals for the 4th straight season and Pittsburgh would get 4 playoff runs with him.

That is what it would take to persuade the Jackets. I'd expect if they were willing to move Jenner that they'd be fine retaining some salary to get a better return. But most likely they're not going to move him this year, they'll want more than just a late 1st and probably won't get offers like that.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Regarding Foligno, what do you think he'd cost for the Avs at the deadline?

Let's just say I'd be pretty comfortable sitting back and letting half the playoff teams go into a bidding war for Foligno. :popcorn:

That bidding starts at a 1st+ and in this case I'd expect that price to be met.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah this pulls it all together.

He might be worth the late first if the Jackets retain. Doubt it’s worth it for the Jackets to lose the player and identity to the bottom six he brings, and pay part of his salary for the late first.

Next seasons TDL if the team is struggling he is on the block I’m sure.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
@majormajor @ViD @Viqsi What are your thoughts on this?

• Jenner + Savard (50%)
for
  • Compher + Timmins + Pateryn + COL 2021 1st

Columbus receive:
  • an expansion exempt NHL-ready RHD prospect to replace Savard;
  • a 3rd line RW to replace Jenner;
  • Pateryn as a cap dump to balance money / short-term replacement for Savard;
  • 2020 1st

Colorado receive:
  • 3C with an extra year of term who can slide to LW when Newhook joins.
  • Shutdown RHD to give the Avs another PKing RHD to guard against Johnson's recurring injuries.

The cap going each way is pretty balanced, with Colorado taking on a negligible $275k:
  • To COL: $3.75m + $2.125m = $5.875m
  • To CBJ: $3.5m + $1.175m* + $925k = $5.6m (*Pateryn's non-NHL caphit)
Imo it's a little bit of an overpayment by Colorado but they'd be the more motivated team as Columbus might prefer to trade Jenner and Savard separately so a minor overpay may be warranted.

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

His cap hit/term is almost exactly the same situation as Coleman (assuming his salary is retained) and is more useful than him as well. He easily gets a 1st+

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
After watching them on Sunday against Nashville it looked like the whole team pulled a PLD. Moving Jenner isn't going to help long term.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
What does an overpayment look like? What would CBJ be looking for in return?

It would have to be a blue chip prospect or a first and I honestly don’t think any team is willing to pay that.

The cap crunch every team is facing makes it near impossible to navigate. Basically you’re not just paying for Jenner you’re paying for them to take a bad contract back too.

Take the TML, I am sure the brass would love Jenner. Much needed upgrade at the 3C position. Unfortunately it means Kerfoot is going back. So not only do we have to compensate the CBJ for trading Jenner but also taking Kerfoot off our hands.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It would have to be a blue chip prospect or a first and I honestly don’t think any team is willing to pay that.

The cap crunch every team is facing makes it near impossible to navigate. Basically you’re not just paying for Jenner you’re paying for them to take a bad contract back too.

Take the TML, I am sure the brass would love Jenner. Much needed upgrade at the 3C position. Unfortunately it means Kerfoot is going back. So not only do we have to compensate the CBJ for trading Jenner but also taking Kerfoot off our hands.
Bluechip prospect? Nah I don't see it. Jenner isn't worth a Newhook or Byram, no way.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
His cap hit/term is almost exactly the same situation as Coleman (assuming his salary is retained) and is more useful than him as well. He easily gets a 1st+
Sure, if Columbus retain 50% to make his caphit $1.875m then I can see the parallel fo Colemam. Do you really think Jarmo will want to retain that much though?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@majormajor @ViD @Viqsi What are your thoughts on this?

• Jenner + Savard (50%)
for
  • Compher + Timmins + Pateryn + COL 2020 1st

Columbus receive:
  • an expansion exempt NHL-ready RHD prospect to replace Savard;
  • a 3rd line RW to replace Jenner;
  • Pateryn as a cap dump to balance money / short-term replacement for Savard;
  • 2020 1st

Colorado receive:
  • 3C with an extra year of term who can slide to LW when Newhook joins.
  • Shutdown RHD to give the Avs another PKing RHD to guard against Johnson's recurring injuries.

The cap going each way is pretty balanced, with Colorado taking on a negligible $275k:
  • To COL: $3.75m + $2.125m = $5.875m
  • To CBJ: $3.5m + $1.175m* + $925k = $5.6m (*Pateryn's non-NHL caphit)
Imo it's a little bit of an overpayment by Colorado but they'd be the more motivated team as Columbus might prefer to trade Jenner and Savard separately so a minor overpay may be warranted.
I'm assuming you meant the 2021 first.

I'm not the sort to be enticed by the prospect of lottery tickets, so this makes me go "ennnh". But it's probably pretty decent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad