Value of: Boone Jenner

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Sure, if Columbus retain 50% to make his caphit $1.875m then I can see the parallel fo Colemam. Do you really think Jarmo will want to retain that much though?

Do you really think he'd trade Jenner just to leave that value on the table? Jenner plays top 6 minutes (generally as the matchup/shutdown C) and is on their top pk unit. Wears an A. If the guy is getting traded its because they are giving up on the season so theyd be looking to get some good futures in return.

Reactions: Viqsi

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm assuming you meant the 2021 first.

I'm not the sort to be enticed by the prospect of lottery tickets, so this makes me go "ennnh". But it's probably pretty decent.
Yes I meant 2021 1st. Corrected that now.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Do you really think he'd trade Jenner just to leave that value on the table? Jenner plays top 6 minutes (generally as the matchup/shutdown C) and is on their top pk unit. Wears an A. If the guy is getting traded its because they are giving up on the season so theyd be looking to get some good futures in return.
I don't know. Maybe Columbus' owners wouldn't like the idea of retaining over $2m when revenues are low. It would be a smart move though beyond the real dollars if Columbus don't have use for that capspace next season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know. Maybe Columbus' owners wouldn't like the idea of retaining over $2m when revenues are low. It would be a smart move though beyond the real dollars if Columbus don't have use for that capspace next season.
We probably do have some use for it, what with the need to resign Texier and a possible desire to go shopping for Cs.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We probably do have some use for it, what with the need to resign Texier and a possible desire to go shopping for Cs.
If Jarmo did retain 50% to bring Jenner's caphit down to $1.875m, would they accept COL 2021 1st + Kaut/Bowers? That's effectively the same return Coleman returned with a near-identical contract last deadline ($1.8m x 2).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Jarmo did retain 50% to bring Jenner's caphit down to $1.875m, would they accept COL 2021 1st + Kaut/Bowers? That's effectively the same return Coleman returned with a near-identical contract last deadline ($1.8m x 2).
I'm not sure. Depends on what Kekalainen sees in the prospects; I don't know 'em well enough myself.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I count seven non-UFA forwards and three non-UFA defensemen in that writeup. And that's also assuming we bother to keep Domi given how he's playing.

Has Domi been playing center or on the wing? Wonder whats up with him

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

So far as GM, Sakic has yet to trade a 1st round pick, nor has he traded any prospect who was drafted in the 1st round. In this offer, you have him doing both, in exchange for a 3rd line forward with less than 2 years remaining on his contract. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, just that I'll believe it when I see it.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
So far as GM, Sakic has yet to trade a 1st round pick, nor has he traded any prospect who was drafted in the 1st round. In this offer, you have him doing both, in exchange for a 3rd line forward with less than 2 years remaining on his contract. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, just that I'll believe it when I see it.
I completely agree. There's better value to be had with a 1st + Kaut/Bowers/Timmins than Jenner, but I just thought I'd ask to gauge opinion on it as it is at least somewhat comparable to the Coleman deal, even if Jenner isn't as good as Coleman.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I completely agree. There's better value to be had with a 1st + Kaut/Bowers/Timmins than Jenner, but I just thought I'd ask to gauge opinion on it as it is at least somewhat comparable to the Coleman deal, even if Jenner isn't as good as Coleman.

In terms of straight value, I still think it's an overpay by the Avs. Coleman had 21 goals in 57 games before he was traded, and 22 the year before. Jenner just doesn't have that same kind of recent performance to justify it. The only thing pushing his value into that territory is the retention, which has no impact in his on-ice performance. He's still not as good as Coleman, so why pay the same price?

But, I also agree with the Columbus fans saying there's no incentive to move him for less than a 1st+. I wouldn't even be surprised if they get that. I just don't expect it to be from the Avs.

On top of that, I think that Sakic has more magic up his sleeves and could easily find some random RFA for a conditional 4th who turns into a stud 3C.

Reactions: Viqsi and Richard88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor @ViD @Viqsi What are your thoughts on this?

• Jenner + Savard (50%)
for
  • Compher + Timmins + Pateryn + COL 2021 1st

Columbus receive:
  • an expansion exempt NHL-ready RHD prospect to replace Savard;
  • a 3rd line RW to replace Jenner;
  • Pateryn as a cap dump to balance money / short-term replacement for Savard;
  • 2020 1st

Colorado receive:
  • 3C with an extra year of term who can slide to LW when Newhook joins.
  • Shutdown RHD to give the Avs another PKing RHD to guard against Johnson's recurring injuries.

The cap going each way is pretty balanced, with Colorado taking on a negligible $275k:
  • To COL: $3.75m + $2.125m = $5.875m
  • To CBJ: $3.5m + $1.175m* + $925k = $5.6m (*Pateryn's non-NHL caphit)
Imo it's a little bit of an overpayment by Colorado but they'd be the more motivated team as Columbus might prefer to trade Jenner and Savard separately so a minor overpay may be warranted.

Timmins and a late 1st is good value for Jenner and Savard. So maybe.

But like I was saying they probably prefer not to trade Jenner this year.
And you might even need to pay more given that the Jackets will be stuck paying Compher about $10m over three years. He's not awful but that contract is for what he brings.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Timmins and a late 1st is good value for Jenner and Savard. So maybe.

But like I was saying they probably prefer not to trade Jenner this year.
And you might even need to pay more given that the Jackets will be stuck paying Compher about $10m over three years. He's not awful but that contract is for what he brings.
Not to be pedantic, but if Compher is moved at the deadline there's $8.572m in dollars owed remaining on his deal, not $10m ($572k the rest of this year, then $4.5m and $3.5m).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad