Confirmed with Link: Boone Jenner named 7th Captain in franchise history, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist as A’s

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I recall very few, if any, people who wanted to trade Boone for the sake of getting rid of him. Maybe used as a piece in a package for a good player, sure, but not the first scenario.

Very happy for Boone, and CBJ. He's the right choice, and has shown leadership qualities since his junior days. He's going to be great.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Plenty of people wanted Boone traded over the last however many years and used him as proof of the teams lack of ability (or skills) or an example that that the team was building around players that were “loyal and gritty” and not “skilled and able to win Stanley Cups”. The term “redundant” was used many times. I used to jokingly call Dubinsky/Foligno/Jenner the Redundanteers.

Hard to be redundant when you're the only one of the Redundanteers still on the team.

But really I'm just confused about how naming Boone captain years later is related at all or proves a point, I guess?

So...

:huh:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Boone Jenner will be interviewed on SiriusXM channel 91 NHL network at 5:20 today.

Reactions: LJ7201

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I'm surprised at Gus over Jake or even Gav but good for him. big season for Boone.

Reactions: Derby

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hard to be redundant when you're the only one of the Redundanteers still on the team.

But really I'm just confused about how naming Boone captain years later is related at all or proves a point, I guess?

So...

:huh:

I mean, there were “jokes” and legitimate complaints about the organizations supposed commitment to players “loyal” to the city and their supposed lack of positive influence on the team up until just last year.

Not long ago, Savard, Foligno and Jenner (individually and as a combo) we’re attacked for their play styles and where they were playing in the lineup.

Jenner was, and still is. How many people asked for Jenner to center Laine before it happened? How many people the last few years and even going into this year had Jenner pegged as a 3rd/4th line winger??

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
How many people the last few years and even going into this year had Jenner pegged as a 3rd/4th line winger??

How many people or how many NHL coaches?

Anyway, congrats to Boone. He deserves it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I recall very few, if any, people who wanted to trade Boone for the sake of getting rid of him. Maybe used as a piece in a package for a good player, sure, but not the first scenario.
If that nuance was present, it was getting lost in the debates, because I also remember a surprisingly large number of folks who seemingly saw no value in keeping Boone around.

Of course, we're talking about nuance on the Internet, which, well... that's pretty much DOA regardless.

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If that nuance was present, it was getting lost in the debates, because I also remember a surprisingly large number of folks who seemingly saw no value in keeping Boone around.

Of course, we're talking about nuance on the Internet, which, well... that's pretty much DOA regardless.

I'm just not following the logic. Now that we've gotten rid of the players most like Boone and kept him, thus making him no longer redundant, all the people that thought he was redundant are proven wrong?

I'm not even one of those people, just feels like a weird 'Told ya so' based on him being named captain and I guess some pre season lineups.

Reactions: LJ7201

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm not surprised. Seems like a good guy. Never very vocal so I don't think any of us on the outside know exactly what kind of a leader he is.

I know a few years ago I was in Toronto for the season finale before the playoffs and I met his uncle there sitting a couple of rows behind me. He came over and said hello after the game as one of the few CBJ fans in the arena. He was very complimentary of the organization and the city from his visits and the whole family seems like good people.

Hey, I met his uncle too! But it was at a game in Buffalo. Very kind man

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'm just not following the logic. Now that we've gotten rid of the players most like Boone and kept him, thus making him no longer redundant, all the people that thought he was redundant are proven wrong?

I'm not even one of those people, just feels like a weird 'Told ya so' based on him being named captain and I guess some pre season lineups.

I wouldn't want a team full of Jenners but it's a Boone to have one!

Seems a solid choice for captain at that.

Reactions: majormajor and Monk

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Boone's never been the most vocal guy, so I wasn't always sure if this was the natural role for him. He's obviously the leader on the ice but does he want to do the rest of the stuff? I think so. I watched some of his pressers this camp and he struck me as more well-spoken than before.

Cultures are different, and I guess that in American culture captain is expected to be some kind of motor mouth. Contrary to common belief we do have talkative people in Finland as well, but still a lot of Finnish captains seems to be leading-by-example people that do not talk too much, yet when they do, they have something to say and everybody is listening to them. Some of those have been captains in the NHL as well, Teppo Numminen being a prime example of that archetype.

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cultures are different, and I guess that in American culture captain is expected to be some kind of motor mouth. Contrary to common belief we do have talkative people in Finland as well, but still a lot of Finnish captains seems to be leading-by-example people that do not talk too much, yet when they do, they have something to say and everybody is listening to them. Some of those have been captains in the NHL as well, Teppo Numminen being a prime example of that archetype.

I wouldn't say "motor mouth", not like that. But there is a public speaking component and you have to be able to say a lot more than "get pucks deep".

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I wouldn't say "motor mouth", not like that. But there is a public speaking component and you have to be able to say a lot more than "get pucks deep".

Yeah, fair enough. I'd say like 99% of the duty is to be a great team mate, well respected and respectable, reliable and a leader by example. Kind of "follow me" type of guy instead of "go there" guy. It's obviously a plus if the captain can also do his public speaking duties.

That said, I guess Boone ticks all the boxes well enough.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I agree with this. Obviously, the leadership in the room/on the ice is most important. But the captain is also the face of the franchise. That extends beyond the players. Boone will never be as outgoing/extroverted/charismatic as Foligno, but in the past, his interviews generally have been extremely, extremely boring/generic, and he's come across as very little personality. I'm not saying he actually has no personality (and we're all aware of his great works in the community and he seems very well-liked and respected by the guys) but he doesn't show it much to the fanbase.

I won't go so far as to say it's a "necessity" to being a captain (the way being a great leader by example is/speaking up when necessary and saying the right things at the right time to the actual players is)... but it's a really, really "nice to have" and I think semi-important in a market like Columbus. I don't think it really matters as an A. I do think, despite it not being a requirement, it's a very nice plus for a C to have that ability.

It has seemed his interviews in the past couple weeks his responses have had a bit more meat to them than in the past. Perhaps he realizes this. It might never be natural to him, but I'm glad he seems to be trying.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad