OT: Books: Audio, Paper, Electronic. Any and all welcome!

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That’s a pretty impressive reference sheet, I read through quite a few of these growing up, some were pretty good, some not so much. I seem to recall enjoying the Jedi Academy Trilogy quite a bit.
If you haven't read the Revan book, I strongly recommend that you do.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
How do y'all go about procuring new books? Do you go to the library to "rent"? Do you buy the book in the hopes that you'll like it?

I'm trying to expand my library but am hesitant to purchase books in the even that I don't care for them. Thinking that borrowing them from the library to test read and then buy if I like it might be the best route to go?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Library for casual reading. I only buy if I need to, or it's a reference book, or it's what i call a "special", one of a kind book.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I’m generally not this way, but books are probably my biggest indulgence. I’m a bit of a purist who loves physical copies and owning them outright, I am very fortunate to have a spouse that was a former librarian and worked for book stores as well, so get some insider deals and review copies of books. I have some very nice editions of The Count of Monte Cristo and works of Arthur Conan Doyle that would drive some collectors mad if they saw me actually reading them like I do 😂

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I’m generally not this way, but books are probably my biggest indulgence. I’m a bit of a purist who loves physical copies and owning them outright, I am very fortunate to have a spouse that was a former librarian and worked for book stores as well, so get some insider deals and review copies of books. I have some very nice editions of The Count of Monte Cristo and works of Arthur Conan Doyle that would drive some collectors mad if they saw me actually reading them like I do 😂
I used to like having actual hardcover books. And then I made multiple moves in the span of a year.... man they are a pain. Kindle for me nowadays, although I really should utilize my library more.

I actually really like the first book

Speaking of Stephen King... IT! That is his greatest book! One of the few books I had to be sure to get in hard cover.
I don't mind the first book (definitelydont like it much though), but I recognize that many people really dislike it. It has actually resulted in most people I recommend the series to not getting into it ... so I usually just tell them to skip it now lol.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Winds of Winter has been “mostly written” since A Dance with Dragons came out over a decade ago, and I believe he said A Dream of Spring, the final of the ASOIAF series, also had several thousand pages written too. But his writing has changed over the decades and I don’t think he likes what he put down and he trapped himself with the story a bit at this point. I doubt he ever releases it himself, and best I am hoping for is that we get more Dunk and Egg novellas out of him before he is gone.

If you want an intro to GRRM without committing to the main series, starting with the Hedgeknight novellas would be a great way to go, they are short and more light hearted than main series.
Ive heard of that Dunk and Egg novel pr novels and its on my long list of book to read.

Im fine with committing to the entire series and want to its just a matter of actually getting back into reading which ive been thinking to myself for awhile now of wanting to get back into it. I know id love the books its just a matter of actually doing it.

I also have a lot of books and series that id like to read as well like WoT, ASoFaI, The Saxon Chronicles, The Mists of Avalon, The Expanse as well, also some the SW books and comics thatd id like to dive into as well.

I said I would add a few more books that I've enjoyed so here they are! (I've also edited the main post with pictures and synopsis for each book. Would be cool if other do the same, but not necessary.
I'll try and keep the this in mind but how do you do it outta curiosity? I also assume youre just coping the synopsis from a website?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Are you looking to read the SWEU chronologically? If so, here's what I used as a reference:

The layout isn't great on the website, but it works. I think I read through Darth Bane: The Rule of Two before I needed desperately to read something other than Star Wars.
I'll have to book mark this website because this could turn out to be really useful. I dont think id read every single piece of work out there but would want to pick my spots and choose books or comics that really peek my interest. Like id love to read the comics about Vader, Maul, Any comics or books with Mandalorians in them, The Fate of the Jedi series (forget why i wanna read that series but it came up recently), The Thrawn Trilogy or the Star Wars Order 66 a Republic commando as well ( i think its a series) but i forgot of why i put that specific series on my wishlist, obviously there was a reason of why i put it on my list but at this point in time ive forgotten.

How do y'all go about procuring new books? Do you go to the library to "rent"? Do you buy the book in the hopes that you'll like it?

I'm trying to expand my library but am hesitant to purchase books in the even that I don't care for them. Thinking that borrowing them from the library to test read and then buy if I like it might be the best route to go?
I usually just walk in Barnes and browse with a cup of coffee in hand. i could literally spend hours in there love being around books love the smell of B&N as well. I want my house to smell like it some day lol Or if just add a book to my Amazon wishlist to help me remember that its a book im interested in but obviously forget whats the reason or the plot of the book that made me interested in the first place, like i mentioned in my last post. I see now you can add notes to wishlisted items so maybe ill had the plot to the book or what made me interested in that specific book at the time when i go an add one to my list.

I enjoy watching YT videos on SW, LOTR and the likes and if i hear the YTer reference a book or mention a book/ comic in their video i will usually go and look it up and see if it catches my interest and if does i will then go add it to my wishlist. Thats another way i come across new books.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Anyone in here know of any books or have read books about King Arthur or Arthurian Legend? I have The Mists of Avalon in collection but thats it and King Arthur really interests me.

Also anyone in here have any 1st edition books in their collection? If so what are they? I can easily see myself collecting 1st editions in the future. Like the book cover for the 1st edition book in the Witcher series is really pretty with a really good looking green as the cover. I could easily se myself adding the 1st editions of the LOTR series as well.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Anyone in here know of any books or have read books about King Arthur or Arthurian Legend? I have The Mists of Avalon in collection but thats it and King Arthur really interests me.

Also anyone in here have any 1st edition books in their collection? If so what are they? I can easily see myself collecting 1st editions in the future. Like the book cover for the 1st edition book in the Witcher series is really pretty with a really good looking green as the cover. I could easily se myself adding the 1st editions of the LOTR series as well.
Gah, you have me thinking back to an Arthurian YA series I read a long time ago and loved, I have been trying to find it again for a long time but my recollection is vague beyond it having sword and stone in the title like about a billion other books out there and featuring his adolescent and teenage years. I don’t think it was exceptional, but it gave me Harry Potter vibes before HP was even a thing.

Speaking of HP and answering your second paragraph, I don’t have a first edition, but I do have a limited run collectors edition of the Sorcerors Stone that features early sketches and character artwork.

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Gah, you have me thinking back to an Arthurian YA series I read a long time ago and loved, I have been trying to find it again for a long time but my recollection is vague beyond it having sword and stone in the title like about a billion other books out there and featuring his adolescent and teenage years. I don’t think it was exceptional, but it gave me Harry Potter vibes before HP was even a thing.

Speaking of HP and answering your second paragraph, I don’t have a first edition, but I do have a limited run collectors edition of the Sorcerors Stone that features early sketches and character artwork.
Sounds like a cool King Arthur book, maybe ill look around on the old interwebs.

That HP book sounds pretty rad too. Kinda crazy how expensive some of the 1st edition HP books are getting, which surprises me because of how many were made and sold at the times of release.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I used to buy paperbacks for the most part, now I get everything for my Kindle Oasis - have done so since 2017.

It has to be a book I REALLY like to get on hard cover

Wabit

May 23, 2016

We go to library for a lot of our paper books. I look in the clearance bins at whichever stores were at and see if something in there catches my eye. Goodwill near me is hit or miss for books I like, but if it's a hit it's a big hit. For e-books we get them off the library website, or the wife relives the Napster days of the interwebs and acquires them.

E-books from the library website is the simplest way I've found to test drive a book. I don't like the e-reader but if I keep reading on that after a few chapters then I know it's a good book for me. Blind buys of full price books are a rare thing for me anymore. I'd rather get a pizza with that money.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
I generally buy paper backs or the cheapest option available. We only have one used book store here, so other than that we are left with Target or Walmart who have selections that are somewhat lacking. Very few authors do I buy first editions or hardcovers. I've always been a big reader though and really enjoy having a home library. If I ever move it will be a B, but also a labor of love I suppose.

I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series a lot, but I have called myself a huge Stephen King fan in the past and actually own and have read all of his novels other than On Writing and have not read Holly as of yet. I don't know why I don't own On Writing or care to read it. I guess something like not really wanting to know all of the details on how the sausage is made.

I really love many other authors and own many collections, but right now I am working on Robert McCammon. I really love the four books I have read by him and have started to acquire his older novels which is proving to be quite difficult.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure how many people are into this sort of thing, but there are a couple investment books I recommend.

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch is a must read for investors. He's a funny guy, and gives some solid advice. I want to give it a re-read now that I've learned a lot more since I first read it.

Investing for Growth by Terry Smith is also a good one. He's also a funny guy, but in a more British way, which makes sense since he's from England. The book is really just a collection of all the letters and articles he's written between 2010 and 2020. He's very much geared toward a safe type of investing, sticking to the best companies in the market and holding them for a long time while they grow,

I want to recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad but Robert Kiyosaki is a jackass. That said, it's probably still worth a read, and is written in a story-like way. It lacks any actionable advice, at all (ok, there is some, but today's market isn't the same market he made the recommendations in, so it should be taken with a grain of salt), but gets people thinking in a way geared toward long-term wealth.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I'm not sure how many people are into this sort of thing, but there are a couple investment books I recommend.

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch is a must read for investors. He's a funny guy, and gives some solid advice. I want to give it a re-read now that I've learned a lot more since I first read it.

Investing for Growth by Terry Smith is also a good one. He's also a funny guy, but in a more British way, which makes sense since he's from England. The book is really just a collection of all the letters and articles he's written between 2010 and 2020. He's very much geared toward a safe type of investing, sticking to the best companies in the market and holding them for a long time while they grow,

I want to recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad but Robert Kiyosaki is a jackass. That said, it's probably still worth a read, and is written in a story-like way. It lacks any actionable advice, at all (ok, there is some, but today's market isn't the same market he made the recommendations in, so it should be taken with a grain of salt), but gets people thinking in a way geared toward long-term wealth.
I am guessing you have discovered the bogleheads forum on your journey there, if not, you could get lost for weeks on online financial resources and strategies.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Not a book on investing, persay, but definitely about Wall Street, is Michael Lewis's(The Blind side, Big Short, Moneyball) first book, Liar's Poker. Very readable, and equal parts appalling, funny, and head shaking.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I am guessing you have discovered the bogleheads forum on your journey there, if not, you could get lost for weeks on online financial resources and strategies.
Actually, I had not. I just Googled it, and I'll give it a look later. Thanks for the tip!

Not a book on investing, persay, but definitely about Wall Street, is Michael Lewis's(The Blind side, Big Short, Moneyball) first book, Liar's Poker. Very readable, and equal parts appalling, funny, and head shaking.
Sounds like something I want to read!
Oh man, that's not a lot of money...

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Just finished reading Ascension:

1698161333506.jpeg

Ascension said:
An enormous snow-covered mountain has appeared in the Pacific Ocean. No one knows when exactly it showed up, precisely how big it might be, or how to explain its existence. When Harold Tunmore is contacted by a shadowy organization to help investigate, he has no idea what he is getting into as he and his team set out for the mountain.

The higher Harold’s team ascends, the less things make sense. Time moves differently, turning minutes into hours, and hours into days. Amid the whipping cold of higher elevation, the climbers’ limbs numb and memories of their lives before the mountain begin to fade. Paranoia quickly turns to violence among the crew, and slithering, ancient creatures pursue them in the snow. Still, as the dangers increase, the mystery of the mountain compels them to its peak, where they are certain they will find their answers. Have they stumbled upon the greatest scientific discovery known to man or the seeds of their own demise?

Framed by the discovery of Harold Tunmore’s unsent letters to his family and the chilling and provocative story they tell, Ascension considers the limitations of science and faith and examines both the beautiful and the unsettling sides of human nature.

It was an interesting read. It sort of presented a time-line like Memento. You start at the end and then the story progresses from the beginning. It was written in journal or letter form. Not really accustomed to that layout but didn't mind it.

Sine we're discussing "self improvement" books. Here are a few that I recommend:

Start With Why

1698161479429.jpeg

Start With Why said:
In 2009, Simon Sinek started a movement to help people become more inspired at work, and in turn inspire their colleagues and customers. Since then, millions have been touched by the power of his ideas, including more than 28 million who’ve watched his TED Talk based on START WITH WHY -- the third most popular TED video of all time.

Sinek starts with a fundamental question: Why are some people and organizations more innovative, more influential, and more profitable than others? Why do some command greater loyalty from customers and employees alike? Even among the successful, why are so few able to repeat their success over and over?

People like Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Jobs, and the Wright Brothers had little in common, but they all started with WHY. They realized that people won't truly buy into a product, service, movement, or idea until they understand the WHY behind it.

START WITH WHY shows that the leaders who've had the greatest influence in the world all think, act, and communicate the same way -- and it's the opposite of what everyone else does. Sinek calls this powerful idea The Golden Circle, and it provides a framework upon which organizations can be built, movements can be led, and people can be inspired. And it all starts with WHY.

I absolutely love Simon Sinek and this ideas on how the workplace should function. This book in particular is an inward looking book to help you question yourself and discover what you actually want to do, or be a part of, in life.

Attached

1698161625694.png

Attached said:
We already rely on science to tell us what to eat, when to exercise, and how long to sleep. Why not use science to help us improve our relationships? In this revolutionary book, psychiatrist and neuroscientist Dr. Amir Levine and Rachel Heller scientifically explain why why some people seem to navigate relationships effortlessly, while others struggle.

Discover how an understanding of adult attachment—the most advanced relationship science in existence today—can help us find and sustain love. Pioneered by psychologist John Bowlby in the 1950s, the field of attachment posits that each of us behaves in relationships in one of three distinct ways:

• Anxious people are often preoccupied with their relationships and tend to worry about their partner's ability to love them back
• Avoidant people equate intimacy with a loss of independence and constantly try to minimize closeness.
• Secure people feel comfortable with intimacy and are usually warm and loving.

Attached guides readers in determining what attachment style they and their mate (or potential mate) follow, offering a road map for building stronger, more fulfilling connections with the people they love.

A very good relationship book that will help you in creating or maintaining relationships. Helps you understand why you act the way you do in certain situations. If people pull away, do you chase harder? If people show affection towards you, do you back away? Why do you do these things? This book helps you answer these questions.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Highly recommend "Striking Distance - Bruce Lee and the Dawn of Martial Arts in America" by Charles Russo.

Very readable, well researched, with a very clear eyed view of his subject. Because it is so well done, you only have to have a passing interest in martial arts, Bruce Lee, West Coast history and culture, or history in general to enjoy it.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I guess Kindle has a bunch of books for free right now. Stuff your kindle or look up free kindle books on amazon.

The wife was just telling me about the 150 or so books she just added. It ends tonight she thinks. I'm going to look now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just finished the new book in "The First Mountain Man" western series. I like the series but they are books I'll get from the library or 2nd hand, not something I put on reserve at the book store. It's a series that you don't need to start from book 1. The mentions to other books are more like Easter eggs references than things needed to understand the plot line of whatever story you're reading.

The First Mountain Man Series: Preacher – William W. Johnstone Books

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad