OT: Books: Audio, Paper, Electronic. Any and all welcome!

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We have a video games thread, which is awesome, but I thought I would also create a book thread for those that like to read or are looking to get into reading.

I tend to gravitate towards Fantasy or Sci-Fi books so here are some of the books I have read that I would highly recommend with a short synopsis of them.

15839976.jpg

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - If you like The Hunger Games, you will absolutely love this book and series. Instead of society being split into districts in Hunger Games, people are divided into colors. There is a yearly(?) competition that instead of taking a week or two, unfolds over months. I literally could not put the book down.

Red Rising Synopsis said:
Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations. Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children. But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet.

Darrow - and Reds like him - are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class. Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies...even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

81WdWq49ZzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Humanity set to terraform other planets because Earth is becoming unlivable (if I remember correctly). The book follows a specific planet where the terraforming plans don't go according to plan. Children of Time and Children of Ruin were really good. I'm having a hard time getting through the third book Children of Memory. The first two books are very thought inducing, at least they were to me.

Children of Time Synopsis said:
Adrian Tchaikovksy's critically acclaimed stand-alone novel Children of Time is the epic story of humanity's battle for survival on a terraformed planet.

Who will inherit this new Earth?

The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home among the stars. Following in the footsteps of their ancestors, they discover the greatest treasure of the past age - a world terraformed and prepared for human life.

But all is not right in this new Eden. In the long years since the planet was abandoned, the work of its architects has borne disastrous fruit. The planet is not waiting for them pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare.

Now two civilizations are on a collision course, both testing the boundaries of what they will do to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth?

bts0_38700-bts0-rectangle-_md5_v05_63d6e8f018046870c86bc8991f1404ab_md5_.jpg

Hell Divers by Nicholas Sansbury Smith - This is a very long series. I believe there are 11 books in total so far. It's a fun series about a post apocalyptic Earth where humans survive in floating cities. The ground is nearly uninhabitable but a Hell Dive team must travel to the surface to scavenge. I like it because you can pick it up at any time and just go with it.

Synopsis said:
They dive so humanity survives …

More than two centuries after World War III poisoned the planet, the final bastion of humanity lives on massive airships circling the globe in search of a habitable area to call home. Aging and outdated, most of the ships plummeted back to earth long ago. The only thing keeping the two surviving lifeboats in the sky are Hell Divers -- men and women who risk their lives by skydiving to the surface to scavenge for parts the ships desperately need.

When one of the remaining airships is damaged in an electrical storm, a Hell Diver team is deployed to a hostile zone called Hades. But there is something down there far worse than the mutated creatures discovered on dives in the past -- something that threatens the fragile future of humanity.

There are a few other books that I found interesting and fun but I'll add to this thread if people are interested.

What books have you enjoyed? Anything that piques your interest that others may give some insight on?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a big fan of the books written by Joe Abercrombe in his universe of The First Law. I'd describe them as being fantasy books, and magic is a part of them, but magic is dying and the world is dark, gritty, and corrupt. He likes putting his characters through all the stuff, and at times it's depressing to read, yet I couldn't put them down.

I also really liked the Nevernight series by Jay Kristoff. It's another fantasy setting, also somewhat dark, but they're a little less punishing to their main characters than the Abercrome books. They're also a bit more predictable, but were fun to read. Don't read them if you don't want any sexy stuff in your book.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I'm a big fan of the books written by Joe Abercrombe in his universe of The First Law. I'd describe them as being fantasy books, and magic is a part of them, but magic is dying and the world is dark, gritty, and corrupt. He likes putting his characters through all the stuff, and at times it's depressing to read, yet I couldn't put them down.

I also really liked the Nevernight series by Jay Kristoff. It's another fantasy setting, also somewhat dark, but they're a little less punishing to their main characters than the Abercrome books. They're also a bit more predictable, but were fun to read. Don't read them if you don't want any sexy stuff in your book.
@BagHead reads erotica. Got it.

I'll check them out! You would put The First Law above the Nevernight series?

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Huge fan of the Expanse series books, have read them several times over.

Am currently re-reading the Dune saga, big fan of these as well.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Like some of Abercrombie, and loved the Expanse series on screen. I like some SciFi and Fantasy, but man, there is a lot of either tired, or "topical" stuff out there, and a shortage of originality.

Just finished a "Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. It's non fiction...sort of an English major explaining the world, and Science, to the rest of us. Laugh out loud funny in some places. Can't believe I never heard of this guy before.

Am also ploughing through a translation of a 1980 book, which was originally published in 1935 in Hong Kong. It's a compilation of some early 19th century writings on Tai Chi Chuan, with "modern" commentary(1935 and 1980). It's a tough go. @BagHead no sex parts, so might not be for you, although they do talk about increasing "circulation". :naughty:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BagHead

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Oh hell yeah. Great thread man!

If you're an epic fantasy geek like myself, you can't go wrong with the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It is DENSE, it is complicated, and the first book is (arguably) not that great.... but I've been reading fantasy and sci-fi for 30ish years now (mainly fantasy) and there isn't a series I can recommend more than this one. Better than Martin, better than Jordan, better than Brooks, better than Tolkien. Better than Hobbs (although she is a close 2nd for a great easy read and story)...

Bonus points in that the main series is 10 books and it is finished. There's more than those 10, but I haven't delved into them yet because I'm planning on another reread of the original stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: chchelseII

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Stephen King's Dark Tower series is another great one. Skip the first book completely though, it's a slog and not needed

Reactions: TaLoN

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014

If you're an epic fantasy geek like myself, you can't go wrong with the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It is DENSE, it is complicated, and the first book is (arguably) not that great.... but I've been reading fantasy and sci-fi for 30ish years now (mainly fantasy) and there isn't a series I can recommend more than this one. Better than Martin, better than Jordan, better than Brooks, better than Tolkien. Better than Hobbs (although she is a close 2nd for a great easy read and story)...

Bonus points in that the main series is 10 books and it is finished. There's more than those 10, but I haven't delved into them yet because I'm planning on another reread of the original stuff.
Malazan is my second favorite series, with multiple reads.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'll just give the series I'm into names and authors. Google them to find better reviews than I can write.

Hollows series - Kim Harrison , I haven't read the newer ones because I didn't know she released new books in it.

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Dragonlance books - Wise and Hickman (they are great together, not good separately)

Icewind Dale / Drittz books - R.A. Salvatore

Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan (until it bogged down)

Recluse Series - L. E. Modesitt. This is a strange series because it's not chronological and the characters change every book.

Dragon Princess/Thief/Wizard trilogy - S. Andrew Swann.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Dragonlance books - Wise and Hickman (they are great together, not good separately)
My super nerdy cousin started me here way back in the day, cant thank him enough. I should probably reread at some point to see how they hold up. I still think the raistlin / caramon trilogy is the best of the bunch if memory serves.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I quit midway though the first book of the Fallen series. Same with the Diskworld series. I just can't bring myself to try them again after the bad taste they left.

Robin Hobb is either a hit or a miss for me. Some of her books I really get into, and others I question why I'm still reading. A lot of authors are like that for me though. One series is great but another they write I want nothing to do with.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I quit midway though the first book of the Fallen series. Same with the Diskworld series. I just can't bring myself to try them again after the bad taste they left.

Robin Hobb is either a hit or a miss for me. Some of her books I really get into, and others I question why I'm still reading. A lot of authors are like that for me though. One series is great but another they write I want nothing to do with.
I get it, the first book in the Malazan series isn't that good. But I'd recommend another shot at the series, skip that 1st book even... there's not a ton of continuity between the books (weird when recommending a 10 part fantasy series, I know).

Yeah I hear you with Hobb. The main 2 trilogies (farseer and tawny man) are top notch IMO but haven't been able to get into anything else of hers.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I'll just give the series I'm into names and authors. Google them to find better reviews than I can write.

Hollows series - Kim Harrison , I haven't read the newer ones because I didn't know she released new books in it.

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Icewind Dale / Drittz books - R.A. Salvatore

Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan (until it bogged down)

Recluse Series - L. E. Modesitt. This is a strange series because it's not chronological and the characters change every book.

Dragon Princess/Thief/Wizard trilogy - S. Andrew Swann.
Have you watched The Wheel of Time series?

Wondering how close that plays to the books? I’ve been meaning to watch it, but if the books are good and they show remains pretty true to the books, I can hold off until I read.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My super nerdy cousin started me here way back in the day, cant thank him enough. I should probably reread at some point to see how they hold up. I still think the raistlin / caramon trilogy is the best of the bunch if memory serves.

Middle school and high school Dragonlance was my main series to read (they were new books then).

I've reread some of the trilogies (there are a lot to choose from) and they've held up for me. They are in the same class with Brooks and Salvatore for me.

The Raist/Camaron series was one I didn't get into as much as some of the others. I think I preferred having Raist be the wizard of Oz, and not seeing the man behind the curtain.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Wondering how close that plays to the books? I’ve been meaning to watch it, but if the books are good and they show remains pretty true to the books, I can hold off until I read.
If you're looking for an adaptation even close to the books, stay away. It is terrible on that front. If you can set aside the books and just enjoy an OK fantasy series with pretty good acting, go for it.

I, personally, can't get past the changes they made. I really dislike it.

Edit. Read the books. Starts strong... begins to slog in the middle.... Jordan passes away... Sanderson comes in and nails the ending. The middle parts are rough though

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Wabit

May 23, 2016

No I haven't, but I don't really watch modern tv shows. The wife tried and couldn't get into the tv show.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Trying not to go on a rant about the show... they changed so many fundamental aspects of the story that it's a shame it has the same name. Watch it, it's not bad in and of itself... but I would try and separate it from the books. The books are definitely worth a read. And by "worth a read" it is one of my favorite series.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If you're looking for an adaptation even close to the books, stay away. It is terrible on that front. If you can set aside the books and just enjoy an OK fantasy series with pretty good acting, go for it.

I, personally, can't get past the changes they made. I really dislike it.

Edit. Read the books. Starts strong... begins to slog in the middle.... Jordan passes away... Sanderson comes in and nails the ending. The middle parts are rough though

I stopped after book 10 (crossroads?) I think. The previous couple of books were slow, but that one was just a lot of pages of nothingness.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings is my personal favorite, her character writing is truly incredible and the settings are varied and well thought out. The hardest part is recommending where to start, Liveship Traders or Assassins Apprentice.

I have tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and haven't found the dedication yet. Reading that you have it above Hobb has me feeling a bit more motivated to try again, though hockey season is usually when I slow down my reading.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I stopped after book 10 (crossroads?) I think. The previous couple of books were slow, but that one was just a lot of pages of nothingness.
Yep... I think that's about where I started to peter out as well and had to push thru. Sanderson picks it up at 12 and really nailed it home 12-14

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings is my personal favorite, her character writing is truly incredible and the settings are varied and well thought out. The hardest part is recommending where to start, Liveship Traders or Assassins Apprentice.

I have tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and haven't found the dedication yet. Reading that you have it above Hobb has me feeling a bit more motivated to try again, though hockey season is usually when I slow down my reading.

Personal preference, I would start with the Assassins series. It drew me in much quicker that the Traders series.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Any of you do any book delivery services? If so, which?

I just recently started researching them but nothing had caught my eye yet

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yep... I think that's about where I started to peter out as well and had to push thru. Sanderson picks it up at 12 and really nailed it home 12-14

I decided that I was done until the series was complete. I just haven't gotten around to starting over and going start to finish. It'll be what 160-180 hours of complete them all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad