"Bonjwa" - a StarCraft term that can be applied to all sports (the NHL!)

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
Its basically same discussion what happens here everyday, but with just a fancy word.

Somebody definitely have been watching videos from Thorin.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bonjwa is just a korean term that's similar to generational talent. In any case:

Forward: McDavid
Defenseman: N/A nobody has gotten separation from the pack by a wide enough margin since maybe Lidstrom, Makar has the talent to do so but needs some Norrises first
Goalie: Vasilevskiy maybe?
Prospect: again N/A but Bedard has the ability

Brownies

I like chess. In chess, if you reach 2500 FIDE points and get 3 GM norms (3 GM level performance in international tournaments I believe), you get the Grandmaster title. It is very hard to get to GM level strength, you need years and years of playing and studying as well as travelling to face tough competition and get your norms. There are 1721 GMs in the world out of about 800 millions chess players (I doubt these wikipedia numbers though...).

In you opinion, what would be the equivalent of a GM in hockey*. It can't simply be making the NHL, because there are 1.64 M hockey players in the world and about 900 active NHL players per year. Top 10 player maybe ? Can anyone list their top 10 players so that we say these are GM hockey players ?

*PS that's not a real question, I just find it a total wast of time to come up with such questions.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like chess. In chess, if you reach 2500 FIDE points and get 3 GM norms (3 GM level performance in international tournaments I believe), you get the Grandmaster title. It is very hard to get to GM level strength, you need years and years of playing and studying as well as travelling to face tough competition and get your norms. There are 1721 GMs in the world out of about 800 millions chess players (I doubt these wikipedia numbers though...).

In you opinion, what would be the equivalent of a GM in hockey*. It can't simply be making the NHL, because there are 1.64 M hockey players in the world and about 900 active NHL players per year. Top 10 player maybe ? Can anyone list their top 10 players so that we say these are GM hockey players ?

*PS that's not a real question, I just find it a total wast of time to come up with such questions.

That's a terrible point.
Magnus Carlsen is bonjwa of chess.
Anyone who follows chess could answer your question immediately upon reading the definition of bonjwa.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Back in my physical/mental/spiritual prime (ages 14 thru 16) I was Bonjwa of Halo 2 on the Xbox home console.

I was four-shotting nubs from Top BR on Locky all the way to P3 on Middy; BKs were getting owned left and right. Double-shots, Quad-shots, you name it. My BXRs were automatic, ala Ovechkin's one-timer. My Strafe was underrated, probably the best in the game during that era. I'd constantly YY and Tea-bag dead opponents, much to their chagrin. Good/great players (level 30+) would give me a hard time but ultimately couldn't hang with me. I was elite. Put the Sniper in my hands, I was taking heads and getting Killtacs on the nightly. Swipe-sniping just about everyone, even if they tried noob-combo'ing me. They couldn't contain me especially if my Quick-scopes were on point. Sometimes if I missed even a single shot I'd force myself to train in Campaign on Legendary, going up against the Jackal Snipers for hours on end. I'd lose track of the days, nights, my religion, what year it was, etc. I couldn't remember my late mother's name at one point.

Once I graduated to the MLG Pro scene, I realized the competition was near/at my level. I adapted the Claw technique, a way to use the face buttons (melee/jump) whilst also looking/aiming. My childhood hero, Walshy, also played Claw. Our team, Noob Masterz, was in the hunt to finish top-16 and get the chance to play on national TV in the Boost Mobile Pro Circuit, on USA network I believe. Monster (energy drinks) contacted us and was interested in sponsoring. Our 4th couldn't make the tournament because his dad didn't believe in video games (strict Colombian parents did not like los videos juegos). We decided to skip that tourney in '06, find our replacement, 'reload' per se, then come back strong in '07.

Ultimately all the ramen and twinkies, pizza, lava cakes, etc meant diabetes and clinical obesity at a young age. The Mountain Dew certainly didn't help. Meningitis ultimately ended my career though, right before I could win the MLG Pro Circuit Championship. What could have been.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’ll accept using this term to compare someone who plays StarCraft to someone who plays EA’s NHL games but in no way am I ready to compare a professional video game player to a professional athlete. Regardless of what the term sport means to some people.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
TLDR.

The ''word'' kind of reminds me of former player Bosingwa, such a beaut!

Attachments

• 1654024681519.png
    1654024681519.png
    323.6 KB · Views: 3

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Lemme guess OP, you got your head flushed in the toilet a lot when you were in school, yeah? Holy dog dicks. “bonjwa” indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad