"Bonjwa" - a StarCraft term that can be applied to all sports (the NHL!)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You can have your own predispositions towards "professional gaming", but the one thing it has in common with sports is the amazing lexicon of terms that contribute to our overall culture of competition.

Bonjwa comes from the game StarCraft, a game I am sure you are familiar with.
The professional scene for the StarCraft RTS series is one of the most rich and storied of any video game.
It's one of the first video games you could make a true living by being at the top.
Despite being only 25 years old, there have been many "greats" (and pretenders), and over time a term has percolated to describe the best player for an extended (but somewhat vague!) period of time.
Sometimes it's just a year or so, but for that time there is a consensus No. 1 ranked player.
It's a term I started using recently as I think it applies to most sports (tennis, golf are self-evident, but also team sports like hockey in its own way).

Bonjwa is a term used to describe a player who dominates the StarCraft scene for a long period of time. A bonjwa has a very high winning percentage and successive title wins. However, a bonjwa is not defined by his statistics or records. Rather, a general consensus is reached that he is the most dominant progamer of his era.
"Bonjwa" 본좌 in Korean was originally the self-raising first-person pronoun, used to distinguish oneself.
Bonjwa is a Korean-language gaming term referring to elite or professional players of StarCraft, a popular video game. It can also refer more generally to someone at the top of their respective field.

In the NHL I feel like this translates as a player who is the top of their particular position for a period of time.
So while Crosby has been bonjwa due to his individual and team success, I'd contend that someone like Connor McDavid is bonjwa now despite the (current) lack of title wins.
Using an example from another sport, Michael Jordan was bonjwa, but likewise I believe Steve Nash was bonjwa too,
The term differentiates from "generational" as it typically describes a player who is at the absolute top of their class rather than a unique and special talent that is once-in-a-era. Generational talents will almost always spend time being bonjwa, but not all bonjwa players are generational talents.
Some players are bonjwa for shorter periods of time than others.
The individual hardware is usually a good basis, but you may find that some players are a bit more suspect - was Naslund truly bonjwa when he won the Lindsay? Was Henrik Sedin truly bonjwa when he won the Hart/Art Ross? Something to think about carefully when applying this term.
Fleshing the idea out a bit further, there are some Hall of Fame locks who go their entire careers without being bonjwa.
Draisaitl stands a chance of never being considered bonjwa, despite being one of the best players in his era, but on the flip side, Eric Lindros was definitely bonjwa.
Kris Letang was never bonjwa defenseman. Roberto Luongo, and to a greater extent, Marc-Andre Fleury will struggle with this problem as we look back on their careers as well.
I made a thread about Dan Boyle's chances at the HHoFm, and feedback gleamed from that thread was that lacking bonjwa status is a key element which keep some players locked in the Hall of Very Good for eternity.

In today's NHL, as an exercise, who is bonjwa right now in these categories?

1. Forward -
2. Defenseman -
3. Goalie -
4. Drafted Prospect -

edit: I am a Canucks follower so that's why I leaned heavily on Canucks examples. Please don't come @ me Vancouver.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You mean you're not familiar with Starcraft and its assorted history and legacy? Where you been man?
I find there is VERY little grey area between knowing exactly what I was talking about and knowing nothing about what I was talking about amongst the general population.
I'm hoping to create that grey area! My superpower name shall be:
The Gradient

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
You can have your own predispositions towards "professional gaming", but the one thing it has in common with sports is the amazing lexicon of terms that contribute to our overall culture of competition.

Bonjwa comes from the game StarCraft, a game I am sure you are familiar with.
The professional scene for the StarCraft RTS series is one of the most rich and storied of any video game.
It's one of the first video games you could make a true living by being at the top.
Despite being only 25 years old, there have been many "greats" (and pretenders), and over time a term has percolated to describe the best player for an extended (but somewhat vague!) period of time.
Sometimes it's just a year or so, but for that time there is a consensus No. 1 ranked player.
It's a term I started using recently as I think it applies to most sports (tennis, golf are self-evident, but also team sports like hockey in its own way).

In the NHL I feel like this translates as a player who is the top of their particular position for a period of time.
So while Crosby has been bonjwa due to his individual and team success, I'd contend that someone like Connor McDavid is bonjwa now despite the (current) lack of title wins.
Using an example from another sport, Michael Jordan was bonjwa, but likewise I believe Steve Nash was bonjwa too,
The term differentiates from "generational" as it typically describes a player who is at the absolute top of their class rather than a unique and special talent that is once-in-a-era. Generational talents will almost always spend time being bonjwa, but not all bonjwa players are generational talents.
Some players are bonjwa for shorter periods of time than others.
The individual hardware is usually a good basis, but you may find that some players are a bit more suspect - was Naslund truly bonjwa when he won the Lindsay? Was Henrik Sedin truly bonjwa when he won the Hart/Art Ross? Something to think about carefully when applying this term.
Fleshing the idea out a bit further, there are some Hall of Fame locks who go their entire careers without being bonjwa.
Draisaitl stands a chance of never being considered bonjwa, despite being one of the best players in his era, but on the flip side, Eric Lindros was definitely bonjwa.
Kris Letang was never bonjwa defenseman. Roberto Luongo, and to a greater extent, Marc-Andre Fleury will struggle with this problem as we look back on their careers as well.
I made a thread about Dan Boyle's chances at the HHoFm, and feedback gleamed from that thread was that lacking bonjwa status is a key element which keep some players locked in the Hall of Very Good for eternity.

In today's NHL, as an exercise, who is bonjwa right now in these categories?

1. Forward -
2. Defenseman -
3. Goalie -
4. Drafted Prospect -

edit: I am a Canucks follower so that's why I leaned heavily on Canucks examples. Please don't come @ me Vancouver.
1. Forward - Crosby, but now it's pretty much McDavid.
2. Defenseman - Roman Josi, Victor Hedman
3. Goalie - Carey Price, but now it's probably Vasilevskiy
4. Drafted - Ower Power / Quentin Byfield

Solid post though, just brush off the hate from the neanderthals who can't comprehend things outside of their own interest or understanding.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
1. Forward - Crosby, but now it's pretty much McDavid.
2. Defenseman - Roman Josi, Victor Hedman
3. Goalie - Carey Price, but now it's probably Vasilevskiy
4. Drafted - Ower Power / Quentin Byfield

Solid post though, just brush off the hate from the neanderthals who can't comprehend things outside of their own interest or understanding.
Kudos for actually answering the question. These kinds of threads often surprise me by reminding me how narrow-minded hockey circles can be.

I'd agree that Crosby and McDavid are worth of the title. For defensemen, goalies, and draftees, there just aren't any active ones. Hedman has been one of the top defensemen in the league for a good while, but I wouldn't say there's been a "Hedman era". Price was bonjwa-worthy in his peak, but I don't think he was that much above his peers for a long enough time. Draftees are by definition pretty impossible to describe as bonjwa.

All in all, I think "generational" serves pretty much the same purpose in the hockey community, even if there might be slight differences in nuance.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
By definition a bonjwa is someone who seems untouchable for an extended period of time, like they are year after year THE player to beat and they usually do not get beaten. Their mental fortitude to just adapt and constantly win is a big part of this (savior's era). It's just really hard to apply in a team sport like hockey. I feel like this is just stretching two hobbies of yours (and mine) and try to reunite them in a way that doesn't seem necessary here, but it is fun I guess :). "Generational" is already used to describe essentially the same thing but it kinda ignore the team success, which makes more sense for hockey.

And just for fun and all the haters, starcraft 1 is the only game that is "kinda" like a sport. Players playing as fast as they can (300 to 400 actions per minute) and where most of the top players had wrist injuries that required surgery, and also where their peak was in their very early 20s and had to basically retire at ~25 years old. At lot of the players had strict army-like training and generally had to be in good shape. The best players there were absolute national rockstars. The culture that spawned from that game in one specific country is unexplainable and is quite fascinating tbh. It gave birth to being a professional gamer as a job (for better or worse).

Anyway, it's not your average fortnite or call of duty "e-sport". I don't blame the haters, just felt like giving a little bit of perspective on this one particular anomaly of gaming.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Never Heard the Term, even though i played SC2 Semi-Professional During high school 😅

Can we have a Team do some a Cannon Rush?
And what would be the follow Up?
Taking the Second Expansion early? Or straight into templars?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad