Value of: Bonino resigning / trade @TDL

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Pens have about 13m coming off the books from Kunitz, Dupuis and Fleury, (presumably trade for picks) to re-sign:

Dumoulin, Murray, Pouliot, Sundqvist, Sheary, Bonino and a bottom 4 Dman to replace Trevor Daley.

I can't speculate on what Murray, Pouliot and Sheary will fetch because they (Sheary and Pouliot in particular) could have breakout seasons, or terrible seasons. I think it's likely that we spend less than 7m combined on these guys.

Dumo will command 4m with big term.

Sundqvist will probably sign for well under 1m.

I honestly believe that bringing back Bonino depends on the play of the WBS guys. If they continue to produce at a high level--meaning Rust is a true middle six RW, Wilson can play top 6, and Sheary can still produce and be effective (even if its a 4th line role) enough to stay in the lineup, and Kuhnhackl can solidify as a very good third liner/elite 4th liner, then I think they'd rather let Bonino walk and save cap for that depth.

Hagelin - Crosby - Kessel

is a line that I think would do very well. And if Guentzel is ready to be a 3C with a line of maybe

Kuhnhackl - Guentzel - Rust

then I'd be fine with letting Bonino walk.

But that's a lot of ifs and speculation, granted all very realistic scenarios.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I think you guys are underrating how much Bonino will command in free agency, especially if the HBK is kept together. \

a) Played a pivotol role centering the most productive line of the eventual SC winners.
b) Plays center.
c) Won a cup.

If he has a 50 point season + decent playoffs he'll likely command 5 mil+ as a FA.

I wouldn't even call him a #2. Dude can't skate at all. Kessel carried him in the playoffs.

I'm fully aboard the "GMs are mostly idiots" train but there's no way Bonino could command much more than 4M/yr. I love the dude to death, he's easily one of my favorite players in the league, but he's not a guy that's going to pivot his own line or anything. Now, that being said, once you find him linemates that click he's fire. He's got fantastic hockey sense. He's just limited by athletic ability.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
That makes literally no sense. Do you know how player comparisons work?

Bonino generaly stands between Hag and Hotdog when he's taking faceoffs therefore his cap hit should also be between what each of them make?

I'm getting 5.4 million with my evaluation. Let's see if he ends up closer to my number or the 1.25 million .

Ducksgo*

If you move him at the TDL, I'd love to see him back on the Ducks.

This is no question. We were a much better team with Bonino on our team we know he has chemistry with this team.

I wouldn't mind trading for him now and let our HC Carl's figure it out. He absolutely prospered here in a Ducks uniform.

We will find em a spot somewhere no worries if he's available.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
People forget how awful Bonino was before HBK got put together. I'd be hesitant to re-sign him until we see how he looks without Hagelin and Kessel. If he repeats his last year performance before HBK, I might not want to re-sign him for that much.

How about a Price avatar bet you'll like him next season even when he plays without Hagelin and Kessel

Ducksgo*

Bonino will be looking for a payday, hasn't had a big one yet.

He started here that eventually got him NHL recognition. He technically does owe us one. And for that he should give us a discount. He was an absolute steal from the Sharks and was a borderline tweener of AHL / NHL prospect at the time before we got him to where he is today.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Simply put, if the Pens can't get him for 3.5-4, they should move on/trade him/let him walk.

Ideally, Murray+Dumoulin+Bones all adds up to 11M at most.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why would Bonino compare himself to a guy on a 1 year 1.25 million dollar contract? The Penguins should make that comparison, Bonino should be pointing at Kessel and Hagglin if he wants to get paid. I hope you're not this poor guys agent.

He just signed an extension. 4yr, 16.5M

PensFan12

Apr 12, 2016
Bonino generaly stands between Hag and Hotdog when he's taking faceoffs therefore his cap hit should also be between what each of them make?

I'm getting 5.4 million with my evaluation. Let's see if he ends up closer to my number or the 1.25 million .

So since Crosby plays between Sheary (667 K) and Hornqvist (4.25 Mil), Crosby should be paid around 2.4 mil?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Sutter is overpaid at $4.375M per year, but Bonino's better than Sutter.

Also, the Pens already effectively have Dupuis off the books.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
4 mill+4mill+6.8mill

$12.8 million spent on a 3rd line. There's zero reason why Kessel needs 2 $4 million players on his line, especially with the level of competition he'll face.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Under Sullivan, Bones has looked fantastic, I expect a huge year out of him next season and likely pricing himself off the team.

Sutter??? :naughty:

We wouldn't take Sutter back if the Canucks retained 50% of his salary and only wanted a 7th round pick.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'm fully aboard the "GMs are mostly idiots" train but there's no way Bonino could command much more than 4M/yr. I love the dude to death, he's easily one of my favorite players in the league, but he's not a guy that's going to pivot his own line or anything. Now, that being said, once you find him linemates that click he's fire. He's got fantastic hockey sense. He's just limited by athletic ability.

Callahan got a 6x$5.8mil contract
Dubinsky got a 6x$5.8mil contract
Stepan got a 6x$6.5mil

Over the last 3 seasons Bonino averaged 2.00 5v5 pts/60min and 58% 5v5 GF%. He is a solid, solid 2 way center that has consistently produced at 5v5.

Callahan averaged 1.61
Dubinsky averaged 2.01
Stepan averaged 2.08

If you don't think these 3 examples set precedence on what teams will pay solid 2 way centers of Bonino's caliber in their prime, then I don't know what to tell you. He would be taking a HUGE discount to sign for 4mil. He will probably command 6 x 5.5-6mil/year, and no one knows if that is a bad contract or not at this point (unless you have a magic crystal ball). I don't hear people clamoring to trade any of the comparables above. If I showed Dubinsky's, Stepan's, and Bonino's HERO charts next to each other, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart they are so similar.

See with your own eyes here.
http://public.tableau.com/shared/DG97NQ2P2?:display_count=yes

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm not sure Bonino gets traded but he'll be looking for a long overdue pay-raise. I have to imagine him and his 1.9 cap-hit would make him a very attractive option to playoff teams up against the cap and looking for some center depth at the trade deadline. Who would be the most interested?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'm not sure Bonino gets traded but he'll be looking for a long overdue pay-raise. I have to imagine him and his 1.9 cap-hit would make him a very attractive option to playoff teams up against the cap and looking for some center depth at the trade deadline. Who would be the most interested?

Probably the team that currently pays that 1.9mil contract ;)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Simply put, if the Pens can't get him for 3.5-4, they should move on/trade him/let him walk.

Ideally, Murray+Dumoulin+Bones all adds up to 11M at most.

Murray - 3.5
Dumo - 3.0
Bonino - 3.75

10.25mil is what I calculate. So...agreed.

And we can do that. Just depends on the kids in WBS coming through like we hope they will be.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Callahan got a 6x$5.8mil contract
Dubinsky got a 6x$5.8mil contract
Stepan got a 6x$6.5mil

Over the last 3 seasons Bonino averaged 2.00 5v5 pts/60min and 58% 5v5 GF%. He is a solid, solid 2 way center that has consistently produced at 5v5.

Callahan averaged 1.61
Dubinsky averaged 2.01
Stepan averaged 2.08

If you don't think these 3 examples set precedence on what teams will pay solid 2 way centers of Bonino's caliber in their prime, then I don't know what to tell you. He would be taking a HUGE discount to sign for 4mil. He will probably command 6 x 5.5-6mil/year, and no one knows if that is a bad contract or not at this point (unless you have a magic crystal ball). I don't hear people clamoring to trade any of the comparables above. If I showed Dubinsky's, Stepan's, and Bonino's HERO charts next to each other, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart they are so similar.

See with your own eyes here.
http://public.tableau.com/shared/DG97NQ2P2?:display_count=yes

Just because some GMs overpay doesn't mean pittsburgh has to.

I can see him signing for 4 mill here or if he wants more then free agency as we won't be able to afford him.

And to add he was playing with 2 of are 3 best wingers during the playoffs
Kessel Is a top line talent

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
just wanted to swing by and make this announcement
.BoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBonino
BoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBonino
BoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBonino....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad